Processor not recognized

|Leviathan|

Limp Gawd
I just upgraded my system form my old cpu 3500+ to a new dual core 4800+

for an nunknown reason windows cannot recognize the cpu as dual core

cpuz also fails to reports this processor as not only a dual core but just a 'hammer series unidentified processor'

what shall i do?

i have the most updated bios + chipset drivers
i have downloaded and installed amd drivers
well dunnow pls help 10x

format your hdd and do a fresh install of windows....painful? yes.....worth it? yes.

heh i wouldn't mind avoiding that, and infact i'm working on it

i downloaded and installed a windows hot fix for dual cores

windows wouldnt boot, blu screen appears and it restarts automatically

i started up in safe mode and uninstalled this update + amd driver

i checked through cpuz and now it could recognize the type of processor with 2 individual cores and even from the task manager there were 2 activity graphs

i restarted the pc; windows loaded up correctly; cpu was recognized but not with 2 cores

i re-installed the cpu driver and the windows hot fix, everything worked out fin this time and windows loaded up correctly

cpu is again recognized corectly but still as 1 core, under device manaeger > processors i have 2 x amd athlon 64 x2 4800+

any suggestions now?

go to device manager > computer

it should say "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

if thats what it says, and task manager and cpu-z both verify the 2 cores, then it should be alrite....

but then again id do a fresh install anyway for new hardware :D

Most of time in my expereinces with this i had to format/reload the pc, you could try a 2nd option repair on windows, it might work but i would just do a format/reload

my friend I had the same thing when i got my FX a while back. fresh install of windows xp did the trick. then just install the amd x2 driver and cpu optimizer. found here link

Repair should handle issues like that. Thats where you act like you are installing windows and all of a sudden it will say WAIT, would you rather repair? just act like a normal install on a clean HD and you cant miss it. NOT repair console.

Just curious you say you the most recent Bios which one is it? When the system boots up does it recognize your CPU then as a 4800 X2? As I have the same M/B as you and I am thinking of doing the same upgrade! :)

Back