Project 33k

Thrust

Limp Gawd
OK here we go!

I have this super tall, old assed tower that was taken out of service at work. We used it for troubleshooting dialup issues. It was an old Win98 pc that had an external 33.3k modem and we all referred to it as "Dial Buddy". Someone I suggested I call it 33.3k and have an extermal dialup modem on it somewhere, so that's where the name of this project came from. I finally got the funds to get the x58 m/b I wanted (MSI Big Bang X-Power) to go along with my i7 920, 3GB G.Skill 2,000MHz DDR3, and i7 Apogee GT water block. (I've had these 3 components for almost 2 years now- just didnt have the funds for an x58 m/b). Anyways, I had my dual loops external in my last build (check sig) and wanted this one to be all enclosed.

Specs at a glance:
Core i7 920 (D0)
3GB G.Skill Pi Black PC3-16000 2,000MHz DDR3
MSI Big Bang X-Power M/B
OCZ 850w PSU
3x120mm radiator
Apogee GT CPU water block
(2) 64GB SSD's (in RAID 0)
MCP 655 pump

OK here we go

Here's the case in it's virgin form:
33k1.JPG
33k1.jpg

And here's his twin brother:
33k2.JPG
33k2.jpg

(All you real [H]ARD members should notice something odd about both of these towers)

Apogee GT w/new i7 bracket:
33k4.JPG
33k3.jpg

My new BIG BANG X-POWER w/water block installed! (For some reason I always feel the need to shout the name of that m/b)
33k4.jpg

Another look:
33k5.JPG
33k5.jpg

Won't be needing these:
33k6.JPG
33k6.jpg

Motherboard mounted:
33k7.JPG
33k7.jpg

33k8.JPG
33k8.jpg

FYI, I'm assembling all the parts to make sure there's no issues with the M/B before I get all excited.

It's also important to know that at this point in the process I had no idea what/where/how this was going to go. Most of the time spent on this wasn't working, but rather THINKING about layout, design, etc. At first I was going to put the radiator in the front, but that didn't work out very well with the DVD drive and hard drives. So after much consideration I decided the bottom was the best placement.

Rad set in place:
33k9.JPG
33k9.jpg

Getting everything in place to power on and test functionality still:
33k10.JPG
33k10.jpg

closer:
33k11.JPG
33k11.jpg

Holes cut for fans/rad:
33k17.JPG
33k17.jpg

33k18.JPG
33k18.jpg

33k19.JPG
33k19.jpg

A rare action shot! (LOLz):
33k20.JPG
33k20.jpg

33k21.JPG

33k22.JPG

Almost as if this case was built for watercooling :)
33k24.JPG
33k22.jpg

33k23.jpg

33k24.jpg

OK< here she is all connected and ready to test (crossed fingers for no RMA):
33k25.JPG
33k25.jpg

33k26.jpg

33k27.jpg

SUCCESS!
33k28.JPG
33k28.jpg

33k29.jpg

Shame on MSI for not supplying us with a small fan for the North Bridge. That sonuva bitch gets so hot you can't stand to touch it. For now, a Yate Loon 140 will do:
33k29.JPG

OK, it works (no RMA) so now it's time to start putting this thing together FOR REAL. My twin GTX 260 Black Edition's (I had a 9500GT in there to test):
33k30.JPG
33k30.jpg

This I don't like. I didn't want 90's and I didn't see anything with a round curve so this will have to do for a while:
33k31.JPG
33k31.jpg

Coming along:
33k32.JPG
33k32.jpg

This tower didn't offer the shelving I needed. So I made my own:
33k33.JPG
33k33.jpg

33k34.jpg

33k34.JPG

I didn't want my radiator fans to simply blow into a flat shelf, so I made a sort of baffle to assist in better airflow:
33k36.JPG
33k35.jpg

33k36.jpg

33k37.jpg

33k37.JPG

Now to make room for the hard drives:
33k38.JPG
33k38.jpg

33k39.jpg

33k40.jpg

33k41.jpg

reservoir fitment:
33k42.JPG
33k42.jpg

Another (rare) action photo!!! (making hole for 140MM fan)
33k43.JPG
33k43.jpg

The baffle I mentioned previously:
33k44.JPG
33k44.jpg

OK, enough for the now. will post more in a few starting with paint.

Oh! and in case you didn't know, the "something odd" with the towers in the first two pics is they're upside down!! Yup! I didn't want my m/b to be below all the water gear so I simply turned it upside down!

']['

Last edited:
I miss the sounds of old modems, there was something special about it and it was exciting... Maybe you could add a speaker that played the dial tone when you started it up..:D

The host you put the pictures on is one of the banned sites that just turn up in the forums as +++++++.com so the images are all missing. Put them on a photobucket account or something!

Thx all. Should be working now. I should probably warn all of you that this chapter is only for the inside of the pc. I currently have no clue what I'm going to do with the outside (other than paint it with an automotive base coat/clear coat finish. Dont' even know the color)

I think i'm going to be taking the reservoir off and put a different one inside on the shelf with the pump. I just don't like it sticking out like that and want this build to be all-inclusive.

comments suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited:
The pictures work fine now (you've left in a few of the old image links so theres still red x's, but their just duplicates!)

When I first saw the resevoir I thought "bong cooler!" I miss those things...

If you get stuck for room, or wanted to mount that stuff internally, having a twin means you could weld the two cases together and have a cube case like mointainmods cases. This would also give room for a million more harddrives and radiators should you ever need one. Giant computers are always impressive :D

As for the kinkng in the tubing, try using primochill coils. I had a problem where the intake from the pump was pulling so hard the tubing was slowly imploding (it was mostly low resistance stuff). But this stuff sorted it out fine. It also sorted out places where the tubing was kinking (in bends much tighter than those pictured) and can also look nice (in most colors), and is cheap and easy to install. I'd perhaps redo this tubing if possible and give a little more length so the bend isn't quite so harsh, never fight the tubing, let it bend naturally.

With the pump, those models tend to vibrate lots. If you get the stuff called Gel-Stuff from Petras Tech. it cuts all of that out.

Is it going to have feet?

Color has to be some kind of metalic dark green and brass :D

When I first saw the resevoir I thought "bong cooler!" I miss those things...
LOLz

Is it going to have feet?
Yeah it's going to have feet- have to get it off the floor so the fans can breath. I kinda like the Vulcan case mod feet.

Color has to be some kind of metalic dark green and brass :D
That's possible!! I do know it will have some pearl in it so it will be very unique. Also, the paint won't be going on until Spring- it's 3 degrees out!!

As promised here are the next pics in this series.

Paint (sorry only 1 picture of it being painted) After sanding the entire case with 320 grit, I used a Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum Metallic Gun Metal
33k45.jpg

Installing rubber grommets:
33k46.jpg

33k47.jpg

Rad/fan assembly installed:
33k48.jpg

PSU installed:
33k49.jpg

33k50.jpg

Tip of the trade (dip hoses in hot water makes them easier to install):
33k51.jpg

Pump installed:
33k52.jpg

33k53.jpg

Reservoir installation:
33k54.jpg

33k55.jpg

Wiring fans/pump:
33k56.jpg

33k57.jpg

Getting there:
33k58.jpg

Installing DVD burner:
33k59.jpg

Hard drives and reservoir installed. Looks like everything's in there now.
33k60.jpg

I will take some better pics when I get home tonight. But other than moving the reservoir and reworking the hard drives the inside is done.

Here's some shots when my son accidentally turned the light off on me:
33k61.jpg

33k62.jpg

33k63.jpg

Back