Project: Ark Of Covenant PC Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have a update, I have the hinge installed and lid installed. The lid however has a lip on the front side and is offset from the rest of the case. I did this because it makes it easy to open the top by doing so, I'll find some way now to get the top to line up with the offset.

Oh by the way, the Crypt keeper called me and he wants his coffin back.

Arktop3.jpg

Here is where I started cleaning up the inside of the second floor in the case. And making it more of a desk, will install shelf pins later after I finish mounting the walls to support the shelf. Or I'll make a inlay for the inside that is mounted for a smooth suface, I don't know what I'll do yet at this point other than finish the top.
ArkTop5.jpg

Here is the lid in it's plain glory :eek:
ArkTop4.jpg

Here is a better view of the large size of this lid, now to measure up for the mount for the 32in HDTV Aquos.
ArkTop6.jpg

More updates as they come....

Nice work so far. Black and red would look cool, you already have a normal ark, you need a [H] one. :cool:

Very cool so far, I can't wait to see it finsished.

/subscribed

I have alot to do under the lid, two mounts for speakers which will be mounted on poles that screw into these mounts. I have to measure to see what is the max size of lcd I can attach to the lid.

I have been working on the top, attaching the moulding, looking at the indiana jones replica, it looks like I have to get 2 layers of crown moulding for the top. Meaning I will do one layer of moulding then a top, and another layer, then final top. From there the statues will be placed, made from acrylic and aluminum spacers.

This might as well be a HTPC as well as a desk/pc.

But I have only attached two sides of crown moulding to the top, I have what you say ran out of money to progress further.
Till more money comes in soon, I will be busy working on my first work log and case mod. I'm trying to get that done to only have to get a processor for it. My father's computer is dying slowly, so he'll get my gaming rig, and I'll get the tall case mod.

Is that hinge going to be enough? It looks to be a 2" wide hinge. I don't know if I'd trust something like that to support the lid, speakers, etc. If it works, though, then it works.

Hinokagutsuchi said:
Is that hinge going to be enough? It looks to be a 2" wide hinge. I don't know if I'd trust something like that to support the lid, speakers, etc. If it works, though, then it works.
A piano hinge going the full length should give it plenty of structural support.

That is no 2" hinge, it's a 4" or longer hinge.
Here is the last update till more moola or cash comes in to work on further.

One part of moulding is on the case top:
arktop7.jpg

And here is another update, an measurements for the underside of the lid:

47 1/2" long and 19" high. This is the space I have for a Lcd Tv, or Hdtv.
Overall size of baseplate of lid: 4ft 9in long x 2ft 3 1/2in wide.

Haha, this this thing is as awesome as it is ridiculous. I just hope it doesn't melt your flesh off when you open it.

][nquisitor said:
Haha, this this thing is as awesome as it is ridiculous. I just hope it doesn't melt your flesh off when you open it.

Awesome yes, Ridiculous no.
Would I: A. buy 4 cases and fill them with hardware, or B. take the Case modding route and make a case to hold 4 motherboards and hardware.

This case will function as a file server/audio server/ folding rig/gaming rig/ movie server via virtual drives.

I am mounting the hardware for the poles on the back, the bolts supporting the pole hardware will pass through the case to the other side. All done to support the whole weight of the case not the sides. There will be a union on the back pole which will attach 2 sections to pole to it.
If you wonder what I'm trying to get to, it should be that both sections of pole will support the lid once the top is opened.

oh - just looked up ark of the covenant.

and here I thought you were building a boat. lol.

Ark_of_the_Covenant.png

kinda big and bulky no?

stormshadow said:

Ark_of_the_Covenant.png

kinda big and bulky no?

Smaller than a guy who had an entire ATM as his casemod :eek:

Say what you must, good or bad, I'm still working on the mod. It has the advantage because it is replacing 4 computers that run a pentium 2 processors in them.

Big and bulky yes it maybe, it is worth doing as a pc mod? Yes it is, is it worth having 4 motherboards in it, yes. Will it play a role in the house as a home theater pc, Yes.

If anyone objects and says I should stop working on this, sorry I won't stop working on this.
If Building this as a pc mod and installing a 32" HDtv as the sole display, Isn't cool, then what is at this point?

Ockie said:
Smaller than a guy who had an entire ATM as his casemod :eek:
damn - now that's bulky.

Scorpionjwp said:
Say what you must, good or bad, I'm still working on the mod. It has the advantage because it is replacing 4 computers that run a pentium 2 processors in them.

Big and bulky yes it maybe, it is worth doing as a pc mod? Yes it is, is it worth having 4 motherboards in it, yes. Will it play a role in the house as a home theater pc, Yes.

If anyone objects and says I should stop working on this, sorry I won't stop working on this.
If Building this as a pc mod and installing a 32" HDtv as the sole display, Isn't cool, then what is at this point?

hey man - i wasn't trying to hate. I think it's a great effort.

I have a small minor update, but not enough to show you.

I finally got to lowes to get 1 piece of moulding for the top. The crappy Sears miter box and saw gave out on me it lasted 4 years of service, so I replaced that to cut my moulding.

Finished with the first layer, now to ponder what to do for the second and last layer of top.
Oh I did manage to get to CompUssr or CompUsa for people who don't know, to pickup a wall mount lcd tv adapter. I have settled to get a 26" HDtv instead of the 32", why? Because of size constraints with the speaker mounts that will be attached to the lid also.

I'm building my watercooling rig also for it, Not sure where to place the radiators just yet.

When I have some or enough completed, I'll post pictures.

stormshadow said:

Ark_of_the_Covenant.png

lol I thought the same...but this case looks like an awesome project(now that I know what it really is), keep up the good work.

So what have I been doing since the last update, well plenty of work on the case.
I also know where to place most of the watercooling rig, in the top where the statues will be.

Oh here is a string of photo's to drool, laugh or cry.

Ark9.jpg

Ark11.jpg

I installed a network jack for the 3 other computers, still haven't rigged the audio jack though.
Ark10.jpg

Ah the clean area where there is small amount of cable management
Ark12.jpg

More updates to come later.

Why don't you put a switch on the inside, so you only have to run 1 Cat5 cable to the ark? Switches are cheap.

I have dual nic's on the other 3 motherboards, so a switch will be used for those, or wireless.

Special Update coming today

Please stay tuned to the update that will have you awe strucked.

I was planning on two reservoirs for the mod, so I'll ask the question.

Should I:

1. Go to a B&M store and buy one.
2. Ebay for one
3. Go to FrozenCpu and get the Alphacool Cape Coolplex 10 External Reservoir
4. Build your own.

BYO ftw !

that thing is coming out nice. Hope you have enough clearance to get that thing through the doors!

Scorpionjwp said:
Should I:

1. Go to a B&M store and buy one.
2. Ebay for one
3. Go to FrozenCpu and get the Alphacool Cape Coolplex 10 External Reservoir
4. Build your own.

I've really liked most of the custom built reservoirs that I've seen (tribaloverkill, anyone?) so I'm gonna go with that.

Whatever you decide, this mod is sexcellent. Keep it up!

Custom built they will be, simple design I'm sticking to.

First leak test on 1 end of the 1st reservoir = Failed.
Second Leak test to be performed tomorrow to see if both ends of the 1st reservoir, either fail or pass.

There must have been a buy something get something free at Microcenter yesterday. I went in to get a Danger Den radiator and a 120mm fan. It totalled up on my calc as: $29.99 for radiator, $9.99 for fan, then .07% Ohio Sales tax with equals $42.77 or so it seems.

When I went to register, the man rang up the radiator, missed the fan, used the sensormatic to disable the sensors in each of the items. Total came up to being $32.08, that rights he missed the fan completely. Oops!

But I'll get a picture of the top second layer of the case tomorrow morning.

Here is some of the rig that I'm building into the lid for the watercooling.

water2.jpg

water1.jpg

The fan located here has a Danger Den radiator mounted underneath the wood. The heat from the single radiators will pass the reservoirs and exit out of the middle.

water3.jpg

The two simple reservoirs, not second leak tested one yet and still have to construct the other. I'll paint both a gold color with a part uncovered to show the water level.
water4.jpg

I shall bump this monster of mine to the top of this work log forum, for hopes my fellow viewers take note once again.

Hmmm, what should I tell you what has been going around since I stopped working on this.

I had this wooden lamp with a crappy top section that was at least 4 years old and needed a rebuild. So I happen to finish this project today, and lugged the lamp upstairs.

I went to lowes also to get some hardware goodies, about $60.00 worth of hardware for this mod. So am I going to let you know what I got, nope I let you wonder or use that brain to think a good few minutes.

I finished on getting that 2 layer lid supported also today, the top still needs to be completed along with the statues at the top. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be working more on the innards of the mod.

Ok you want that instant hope and view of what I had worked on today. Note, Had, meaning I completed what I wanted to accomplished today. I will just give you this teaser picture.

I will show you something and leave you drooling or hanging. You answer the question of how I accomplished it.

Look at the other pictures of the lid, notice how heavy it looks. It also can't support on it's own either, even with it's hinge.

ark13.jpg

bit.jpg

A long 3/8" drill bit, what is it being used for?

My drill bit is as long as yours!
Hacked up version of the SpaceBalls quote.

Everyone has 18 1/2 hours to think about what I did to support the lid.

OMG, what a flipping SWEET idea for a PC. This is great. I would think the surface and eye-candy work is going to be complex. But looks good so far!

Taped 'em to a pair of wooden struts?

Glad to see this case on the move again.

Well you know the saying measure twice and cut once. How about not measuring,cut and then getting the item you cut perfect. That is what I did the other day to finish up the inside front panel. I'm stealthing three of the cd drives is one fell swoop, just have to get that done on tuesday when I'm off from work.

I have to get the following at lowes, heavy duty mounting tape, drywall saw- it works in areas where regular saws won't cut and the boards for the doors on the sides of the case.

My parents went to Georgia to take a look of the new house down there. Dad finally got a new job down there, so he took my digital camera with him to take pictures of the final location the Ark will be located. I plan to have it in my new bedroom, right where that tv jack is.

So this work log will continue till September 13, which at during that time, all work will stop and I will dismantle the ark and transport it to the new location. Oh ya, if you take the top off the bottom is alot less heavy with it. I have an inch of room on each side of the basement door to transport it out of the basement.

My father gave me an indication that once we move down to Georgia, I'll get my wish and get a 26" or a 32" HDtv for it. But till then, the tv mount is installed on the underside of the lid.

just a small comment, but on the pictures of the arc, the molding is angeling outward, but with this mod, it's going in. any specific reason why you changed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back