Project: Bluray HTPC

nlancaster

Gawd
My previous case mods here, and here.

So now that the G50B-Redder Lian-li case mod is done and up and running time to build that HTPC I have had the parts for 6mths.

The parts list:

MSI Fuzzy GM965 mini-itx MB
Intel Core Duo 1.66ghz Mobile Processor
2GB Supertalent DDR800
LG Bluray/HD-DVD drive
Seagate 80gb Sata HDD 5400RPM
Leadtek 8500GT 256MB w/HDMI
Soundgraph IMON VFD
Pico 120w PSU - Still waiting on this part.
Windows XP Pro
SageTV V6.4

I have already installed windows XP and all software needed to verify that this will playback 1080p Bluray flawlessly. And also any content recorded with SageTV.

The sacrificial victim:
PICT0896.JPG

Gutted Compaq 3300 Series SCSI External Tape drive enclosure. You can pic these up on ebay for about 10 bucks.

The Plan:
htpc%20top.jpg

htpc%20overview.jpg

htpc%20back.jpg

All black with new faceplate. I am not looking forward to cutting that back IO Plate. I am currently looking into getting it waterjet cut.

I think I see an old SCSI external enclosure! Looks like it used to hold an old SDLT drive to me!

I am not looking forward to cutting that back IO Plate. I am currently looking into getting it waterjet cut.

... ? Why not just cut out a standard I/O shield sized hole? That way if you change your board, you don't have issues with ports moving.

because it is not a standard IO shield sized hole. Look at the motherboard and compare it to another mini-itx board. The PCIe slot is in a location that is normally IO shield slot area. So basically the backplate would be for this motherboard only. So I might as well make it look really good. And cutting out the slots above for air exit would be a pain as well.

plans look good. Saw you mentioned Sage, are you going to have a tv tuner?

The TV Tuners are in my server.

Coolermaster CM590

2 x Hauppauge PVR500 Dual analog tuner PCI cards (4 tuners total)
1 x Hauppauge HVR1800 Digital Tuner
2 x IcyDock MB455SPF 5-in-3 Hotswap Bays
2 x 750GB Westernd Digital RE2 - Downloaded media Drives.
2 x 300GB Seagate - TV Recording drives
1 x 500GB Seagate - TV Recording drive
1 x 500GB Seagate - Backup data drive
1 x Lite-On DVD-RW
Athlon X2 4400+ 65w edition - downclocked 10% to 2ghz @ 24c right now.
Asus M2NE Motherboard
Promise 4-port Sata Raid controller
Zalman 9700 CPU fan at lowest fan speed.
2GB Corsair DDR2 800 Ram
600W Coolermaster power supply modded with low noise fan

And that is the way the server is right now. Over gigabit it serves to 2 SageTV Client Computers and one SageTV HD Media Extender. I am building this HTPC to solve a few issues with playback compatiblity on the extender and get bluray support to my HDTV. In the near future the server will be upgraded to use 2 of these and 2 STBs from Verizon or Comcast haven't decided yet. The HD-PVR will get me full access to the lineup from both services.

very nice. Those extenders almost enticed me to make the switch to sage but in the end I decided I might as well build my own. Anyways looking forward to this build.

Yes the extenders work very well and make no noise. But they have a limited compatiblity for codecs.

SageTV I think has the best Client/Server architecture around. and it is also fully customizable.

cut%20peices.jpg

On another note these peices will be waterjet cut for me out of aluminum and I will then just have to assemble the case.

All the parts above are now set to be waterjet cut. I will have them in 2 weeks. I am thining of picking up one of these for the OS drive. Should make it quick to boot.

Spent this evening breadboarding all the parts outside of any case and getting all the software working.

PICT0917.JPG

Here is everything layed out. I was trying the Patriot SSD but it just isnt that much faster. most of the boot time is waiting for the motherboard to go thru POST.

PICT0911.JPG

Motherboard with temporary fan cooling. CPU temp is at 75F.

PICT0914.JPG

120w Pico PSU on the end of the power cable for the Imon VFG. That cable provides 5v standby power to the Imon to run the VFD when the computer is off, and also let the Imon turn the computer on and off. I will probably solder the power leads directly to the Pico PSU for power to the Imon and elminate that power cable.

PICT0919.JPG

Anyone know how to take the white lettering off without destroying the plastic bezels? Here is the Imon and LG HD-DVD/Bluray/DVD drive.

SageTV does not natively support HD disk formats. I have had to customize SageTV to launch WinDVD 9+Bluray so that I can play them. But that customization works seamlessly. You click on "Play DVD" in SageTV and it opens and starts playing WinDVD. Works perfectly so far.

Now I am just going to spend a few days testing the system like this and have it all ready to install when I get the case done.

um, about the removing of the letters. From the pic it just looks like its painted on so you might be able to get away with a razor blade from a box knife and some rubbing alcohol. I dont think doing it this way would damage it, also at various place you could get some kind of chemical remover but i forgot what it is called.:rolleyes:

Well got my parts from the machineshop, http://www.crbmfg.com/, Travis from CRB helped me out and was an easy guy to talk too.

PICT0934.JPG

All the parts laid out. You can't see it in the photos but the edges are flawless. very minor vertical marks from waterjet cutting and that is it. No burrs, no razor sharp edges, just ready to assemble.

PICT0938.JPG

And the first test fit of the IO plate. nearly perfect. The dimensions from MSI for the ethernet/USB port opening was wrong. I should have checked it more closely but I was more concerned with the Audio and video card connections. They will work fine they way they are.

Now just need to get some aluminum angle and put it all together. Should be done by the end of the weekend.

looks great, were you able to get the IO dimensions from MSI or did you measure them?

the tolerances look really good

I was able to get the Dimensions from MSI, that is why I am a little disapointed that the ethernet and USB dont line up better.

PICT0940.JPG

Assembled all the parts together. Still need to drill for motherboard mounting holes and a few other things.

PICT0942.JPG

PICT0945.JPG

Mounted all the parts into the box and everything fits and is working.

Things to do:

1. Final fit the front panel plates to the enclosure outer panels. they do not quite go on and also need to fit around the optical drives for the finished faceplate.
2. Create blowhole in top of chassis.
3. Wire up Vandal switchs for power and reset.
4. Paint chassis.
5. Finish all software setup and install into Hometheater system.

Should be all done with everthing but painting by Monday.

looks, good.... i love the ability to have sagetv and beyondtv in server/client mode

that is what is missing from VMC or MCE

I like the UI of VMC better, which is what i am currently using and the WAF is really high for VMC w/ mymovies

good luck and it look good

ive been itchin to do one of these downstairs for myself, interested to see how it turns out

Roughly how much did the machining cost, and did you have to send them the sheet metal?

Markistehnamezor - Nice, Btw Portland, Oregon?

Yep, Oregon. Tigard actually, if I say Tigard everyone asks "where is that?"

elleana - Roughly how much did the machining cost, and did you have to send them the sheet metal?

Machining was $170 with me supply the DXF. Probably more then I should have spent but it will be a kewl little HTPC unlike anyone elses.

Well it is complete. Finally. I hate painting. I am never, ever, ever, doing it again. Powdercoat or anodizing only in the future.

PICT0955.JPG

Notice no fan blow hole in the top of the case. I figured out a way to make all noise come out the back of the machine only.

PICT0951.JPG

And here it is. that is a lian-li card cooler mounted in there. Just barely enough clearnace. Even then it still sits at an angle. But machine is now silent.

Now just have ot hook it up to the TV and am all done.

Back