Project: clean-up

8fingers

Limp Gawd
Some internal "modding" for my full tower Xaser III V2000a. Check the pics below if you don’t follow…

To do:
1. Sleeve all cables in red and replace IDE cables w/round red IDE cables.
2. Changeover all plugs on PSU and fans to red.
3. Add red CCFL’s.
4. Remove 1 side-panel fan and surrounding mount area.

My questions…
1. Should I go for UV lighting? I like the idea, but will UV parts be a good red when the UV lights are off? What about 1 regular CCFL and 1 UV CCFL? Could I run them off the same inverter?

2. Will removing the top fan on the side panel really degrade performance? BTW, I flipped it over a few minutes ago (it’s blowing out now), my case temp dropped from 33C to 28C.

3. I looked for a few minutes at PSU sleeving kits, I only saw 20-pin MOBO connecters. Do they have kits and/or separate 24-pin MOBO connecters?

Well, I won't give you grief about your wiring, but I'd warn you to expect some of the more, *ahem!!*, gracious modders around here to do so. :rolleyes:

No idea about the sleeving kits. Check FrozenCPU, if you haven't already. Probably not the lowest prices out there, but more likely the place where you'll find all the parts you'll need to do the sleeving. You might consider getting a sleeving kit, then get a seperate 24-pin connector, ya know?

As far as the lighting goes, here's my experience with red lighting and uv. I built a spiderman computer for a friend's son, so red was predominant in the build. I used uv red rounded cables for the hdd and optical drive, and tried out both the uv lighting, the red lighting, and the combo lighting (one of each). What I found out is that the uv lighting is so soft, compared to the glaring red lighting, that it pretty much washed out the uv coloring of the rounded cables once the red lighting was turned on.

What I ended up doing was using the uv ccfl lighting, then added a meteor light like that, and put it in blinking mode. That way, you get some soft glow of the red uv cables all the time, and the brighter (gaudier :eek: LOL) lighting of the meteor light going on and off. Hey, to a 5 year old, it's fantastic!! :D

Nivram said:
Well, I won't give you grief about your wiring, but I'd warn you to expect some of the more, *ahem!!*, gracious modders around here to do so. :rolleyes:

o, i've just been waiting for the "gosh! clean up your wires already!" but, hey, thats what i'm doing...

i wasn't thinking to run the CCFL and UV simultaneously, one at a time, only when i need to imprees somebody and show off the rig.

yeah.. a littel work with some switches, and you could flip between them depending on your needs.. also.. im trying to figure out exactly it is that the fugly piece of purple plastic dose... i know its holding up a fan, but it looks as iff the fan is blowing(or sucking.. what ever... ) right up against the case door.. (i see no vent holes... ) any way.. i can understand your wanting to get rid of the purple piece of shit.. but .. how hard would it be to trim it back to where it isnt seen and replaceing the part that is gonna be seen with clear plexi ... and make the fan vent some where while your at it.. :D

and next time keep your fingers out of the fan.. :D

thore

Back