Project: DarkPhoenix (56k... go away)

tikicult

[H]ard|Gawd
My computer has always been called Phoenix since I rebuild it so often (and cause of the meaning of the Phoenix to me). This is the 6th iteration of Phoenix dubbed DarkPhoenix. System specs at the end...

00-original.jpg

The orginal case

01-day1.JPG

The first day I got home with the case

02-cuts1.JPG

First round of cuts

03-cuts2.JPG

Cuts continued

04-cuts3.JPG

Closeup of rear fan hole

05-bracket.JPG

Bracket made for HD cage

06-6800GT.JPG

This baby came in half way through the project

07-HD1.JPG

HD bracket mounted

08-HD2.JPG

HD cage relocated

09-paint.JPG

Painting individual parts

10-mess.JPG

All the crap that needs to go in the system (not the Sushi book though)

11-GTWC.JPG

Oh yeah...

13-in2.JPG

Closeup of mounted CPU block

14-in3.JPG

Complete inside

15-spike.JPG

Lift Kit

16-wires.JPG

Mess of wires on back side

17-PSU1.JPG

Crappy Plan B for PSU wires

18-Pump.JPG

Pump mount

19-PSU2.JPG

Underside of PSU

20-back.JPG

Back of case

The whole case and panels were powdercoated at a local place. It gets all nice and shiny when I clean it. I cannot figure out how to get a good picture of the entire closed case because of this.

System Specs:
Athlon64 3200+ @ 2.42 Ghz
Asus K8N-E Deluxe @ 880 Mhz HT
BFG 6800GT OC @ 420 Mhz
1 GB PC3200 Corsair XMS @ 440 Mhz
74 GB WD Raptor
200 GB WD
Antec 430W TruePower
Watercooling by Dangerden and Swiftech
Fans are Panaflo M1A

Load CPU temp: 33*C
Load GPU temp: 45*C

-Dave

I love the placement of the rad very nice. Perhaps some smaller wire sleaving on the psu and that would be perfect.

Whats the front look like now?

I do like what you did with the drive bays. Very nice.

Looks pretty cool so far. More pics of finished project...

tikicult said:
The whole case and panels were powdercoated at a local place. It gets all nice and shiny when I clean it. I cannot figure out how to get a good picture of the entire closed case because of this.
Disable the flash? Just get it in a well-lit room and that should do the trick

I like your solution to reorganize the HHDs and make room for the pump. Damn, I never really noticed how big the 6800 is until I saw your pics.

I love your case! A couple of questions though, where did you get the case feet? I've seen then pretty much only at UK online shops and what did that use to be?
I love what you did with the HD rack.

Thanks guys for the comments. The front of the case isn't actually done yet. I ran out of time over the weekend to put in the bezels. They are the only things missing. The front also features purple LEDs for power and HD activity. The HD rack was a pain in the ass to figure out where to put it and how to mount it. The original plan was to build a new one, but the original one actually fit exactly where I wanted to put it. The pump will probally be adjusted by an inch or so. Alot of the case was based on the placement of the radiator at the bottom. I was supposed to have a Maze4 on the chipset, but the radiator ended up getting in the way. I was lucky that the 6800 cleared the rad because I didnt measure beforehand, hehe. The case feet are speaker spikes found here. The PSU sleeving cannot be made any smaller because all the cables are already stuffed in as far as they can go. The only things left for me to do is mount the bezel plates, install fan controllers on the panaflos, touch up paint the few silver items left and wax/polish the case.

-Dave

Looks really nice, but just one question
Is it OK to mount your HDs vertically?
I always thought it was bad

Muttsta said:
Looks really nice, but just one question
Is it OK to mount your HDs vertically?
I always thought it was bad
Modern HDDs don't care about in which orientation they're mounted, if at all. Just don't shake them violently while they're operating. They hate that.

As for the mod (got to stay somewhat on-topic), I must say that it looks very clean and professional. Can't wait to see what you did with the front :)

Which way do you have the fan blowing? Sucking air out from under the case or blowing air down from in the case. I'm assuming the first but just curious. Nice man... Nice..

You didn't paint indoors now, did you? I see paint stains on the carpet! :p

Back