Project: Double Wide

S[H]ady

Gawd
Ok so here's the plan:

I have 2 antec 1080b cases. I love the cases but they just arent big enough. so i decided to make them big enough.

both of them are getting fused together
one will serve as the drive holder. the other will house the PSU and motherboard.
I will also be adding a water cooling system down the road.

since im getting a q6600 i want to keep that bitch cool so i will be installing 3 120mm intakes, along with 3 80mm intakes. the rear will have 120mm exit fans and 2 80mm exits.

Nice blue color.

insides only today

120MM fan holes. (yes they are supposed to be not quite lined up)

tomorrow i will have the rest of the case painted.

Double Wide does fit the project... but it is a type of trailer too... I think it seems "trashy".

Name aside, it looks like it is coming along well.

/subscribed

Double Wide does fit the project... but it is a type of trailer too... I think it seems "trashy".

Name aside, it looks like it is coming along well.

/subscribed

your calling the name trashy???

it is definately coming along well.
when i thought up the idea, i figured it would take me a month or so.
Luckily my dad jumped in on the project. he owns an autobody shop which really helps. having all the tools you need and any materials at your desposal speeds things up significantly.
i will be assembled and painted by friday.
only small things wont be done... handles are iffy. casters i dont think will be on. and for sure the front faceplate won't be fabricated yet. I plan to bend metal mesh into the shape i need. we will be doing that in august (holidays next week).

I will be assembling me new system in this case next week when it get here.

I'm thinking the watercooling system will be installed in august/september. i dont have unlimeted funds sadly.

Very interesting idea, you must have a ton of HDD's :p

Working at an auto-body shop must be nice, I'd like that, but I'll just continue dremeling it up at home :rolleyes:

/subscribed, hope to see good things!

Very interesting idea, you must have a ton of HDD's :p

Working at an auto-body shop must be nice, I'd like that, but I'll just continue dremeling it up at home :rolleyes:

/subscribed, hope to see good things!

well, i have the 4 in my sig right now. they are collectively over 90% full.
the new build will include an aditional 500GB, but i might switch that up for 2 320GB in RAID.

working at the shop is pretty good. I enjoy it. I work shift work and my days off are usually during the week so it makes it easy to go down there.
Really helps. Not only having the shop to work in, but the connections in the business too.
I got the sheet metal for the fan holes for free, all cut and smoothed out. the only thing i have had to pay for so far is the 4.5" whole saw.

i got the case pretty much assembled today. i took a bunch of pics but i dont have time to post them all right now.
i will get them up later today or tomorrow.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures guys. I am not what you would call a photographer.

anyway, here is the assembled product.

so, there you have it! I love this thing! But OMG is it heavy!!!!

the top, bottom and both plates for the fans are 20 guage steel. the top was put over the existing tops. It makes for one hell of a case. I will weight it this weekend.

Anyway, stuff that still needs work.

- Fabricate some kind of front bezel. thinking perferated steel in black.
- Put window in. *I will have to trim the drive cage handles in order to clear the plexi.
- Install power switch and LED lights. (waiting for frozencpu to restock blue LED bulgin on button)
- Install casters
- install 120mm fans and fan grills (on order).

after that i will take a break on this thing. I have some ideas for the future, but i have a Q6600 on the way that will need a home next week, so there will be limited progress for a while.

Thanks alot guys!
I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm gonna take a bunch of shots of it this weekend and then some more when i get my new parts in it.

down the road i will be putting in a watercooling system with a dual bay resevoir and a 240 rad.
There is tons of room to work with in here.

Oh BTW: My specialty is cable routing. This will be one of the cleanest setups you've ever seen.

front will have DVD burner above the fans and there will be 2 fan controlers on the left. 1 to control the 6 120mm
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=279&code=017

and another to control 4 of the 80mm's and monitor 4 different temps.
Since i'll be overclocling, i'll be doing CPU, Northbride, RAM, Video card.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=274&code=017

specs:
Q6600
EVGA 680i SLI
2x1GB OCZ System Elite PC6400
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 320MB
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
Seagate 500GB Sata2
Seagate 320GB Sata2
Seagate 250GB Sata2
Maxtor 200GB Sata1
Seagate 200GB Sata1
Sound Blaster X-Fi

Thats lookin' real nice there, I'm a big fan of cube cases myself so a project like this is a definite winner for me ;)
Looking forward to the cable management part now too, it's going to be fun to see if you can beat Frenzy's Deep black silverstone with power rails.

One note though, it looks like the top fan hole in the back is slightly more spaced out than the other two, could be a problem if you're fitting a radiator in there.
Good luck otherwise!

Thats lookin' real nice there, I'm a big fan of cube cases myself so a project like this is a definite winner for me ;)
Looking forward to the cable management part now too, it's going to be fun to see if you can beat Frenzy's Deep black silverstone with power rails.

One note though, it looks like the top fan hole in the back is slightly more spaced out than the other two, could be a problem if you're fitting a radiator in there.
Good luck otherwise!

I guess i'll have some work cut out for me.

as far as the fan hole, we had to put it there. the rails on the inside that support the whole thing are mounted on either side, just below the power supply spot.
I had to cut almost everything possible out to fit that fan already. its cant be moved left or right.

there should still be plenty of room to fit the rad. Unless your are talking about the bottom 2.
That is because the hole saw was having a hard time. we couldnt risk wrecking the panel by getting close.
worst case scenario i use one of those DD rad mounts on 1 fan and suspend it from the other.

This is looking like an awesome project man!

Can't wait to see more!

/suscribed

Ok sorry for the long wait. Life got in the way.

anyway, i have the case at home now. its about 95% complete costruction wise and 40% set up and cleaned up.

So far its working like a charm. silent. cool as hell. i love it.
here's some more pics.

unfortunately, in my excitement about getting my quad core last week, i forgot to take pictures of the assembly.

Messy Wires. I have to get some shrink wrap and lengthen some and shorten some of the fan wires to tuck them away nicely.

looks good

lol. that was fast. didnt even have time to post my own comments :eek:

thanks.

it's turning out real nice.
best part so far is temps. my cpu is running at 33 degrees idle and a 600mhz overclock. when the heat wave around here ends im gonna push it more, but its 39celcius outside today and i just dont want to risk it.

I'm still waiting on my other fan controller. i think will will be putting this one on the right where the dvd is right now. i have test fit one of the old faceplates on the left and it still lines up with the holes. i have to make some slight mods to get it to fit but i think thats what im doing for the faceplate for now.
the fan controller i already have fits nice and flush with the thick guage steal that the front face plate. its also blue so it will blend in well.

there wont be much progress untill i get the new fan controller. i might paint the faceplate but not till at least next week because the shop is closed for holidays right now.

The paint came out really nicely. Good job.

thank you. i'm very happy with it. we forgot to prime the new metal thogh, so theres some spots that are chipping a bit. nothing i can really do at this point. its not worth tearing it apart to redo. the rest looks great. the side panels reflect my pc monitor :D

So,... how heavy do you think it is? :)
Looks very practical, except when you have to move it.

So,... how heavy do you think it is? :)
Looks very practical, except when you have to move it.

well, 1080b cases are quite heavy to begin with. i found a review that claimed 31.7lbs.
so i would say the case empty weighs close to 60 - 70 lbs with the extra materials.
its approaching 90 lbs probably.
I dont really have a way to measure that though.

it is definately going to be an effort to bring it to the next lan, but meh, like you said its practical till i have to move it.

Back