Project Fragbox TEC CPU cooler - PICS

dworley

Gawd
After admiring Craigbru's SG01 Coolit Freezone mod - I decided to install a Coolit Eliminator TEC CPU cooler in my Fragbox :cool:

Summary of installation modifications:
  • Removed the HD cage from the Fragbox to make room for the Coolit Eliminator
  • Re-located Coolit pump 1/2" lower
  • Relocated HDD to 3 1/2 bay
  • Connected Coolit Elininator fan to SYS fan connector on Motherboard (for auto speed control)
The Elimator fit very snug into the front section of the Fragbox with no room to spare! After installing most of my components I noticed that there was a small leak forming around one of the hose clamps on the CPU block after I powered up the system for some P95 thermal testing. I tried adding a zip tie but it was still leaking, so now I have to decide to try and fix it myself or RMA.....:mad:

The only other problem I ran into was the power connector on my 8800GTX is blocked by one of the TEC chillers. I was able to mod the PCI-E power connector to get it to fit but did not power up the system again due to the leak.

hopefully I can get this resolved with Coolit, so that I can really test this thing out properly!

I'd just buy a worm clamp. I had a swiftech block that would forever leak even with a wormclamp on tight as can be, I wrapped some teflon around it then put a hoseclamp and it didnt leak. Might want to try that

Well obviously I can't take credit for coming up with this great idea but I did finish building my Fragbox with the Coolit Eliminator last night. Thanks dworley for the idea! Fortunately I didn't spring a leak--knock on wood. I've powered her up and she runs great. I've yet to even install an OS so stand by for temps, benchmarks and overclocking potential. I removed the noisy 40+dBA fan that came with the Eliminator and replaced it with a Silenx 92mm which is around 14dBA and puts out 42cfm (plus its got blue leds!). Like dworley said, to get it to fit you have to lower the pump about a 1/2". To do this I had to also rotate the circuit board 180 degrees on the Eliminator because the fan hookups were too high. I also had to modify the PCI express power hookup on the video card. I ended up using two of the holes used for the cage drive (in the fragbox) to screw down the coolit. I also ended up drilling one more more hole for a total of three. Then I just drilled them in the Eliminator also and Epoxy'd some nuts to the Eliminator. All I had to do was screw it down. All in all it came out good. I'll post some measurements when I get them. Here is what I got in the new rig:

Intel Duo Core e6600 processor 2.4ghz
4 x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC2-6400
Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HG mobo
Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM 150GD SATA HD
eVGA 8800GTS “Superclocked”
Silverstone ST75F Strider 750W PSU
Coolit Eliminator MTEC CPU cooler
Liteon 20X DVD burner SATA

Very Nice!

Your hoses do not appear to be stretched at all to the CPU block - did you rotate the entire TEC unit 180 degrees on the mounting bracket? (the hose routing from the back of the TEC Chillers looks different than mine)

Very Nice!

Your hoses do not appear to be stretched at all to the CPU block - did you rotate the entire TEC unit 180 degrees on the mounting bracket? (the hose routing from the back of the TEC Chillers looks different than mine)

Thanks!

Actually I was really worried about one of the hoses on the CPU block. That damn Corsair Dominator memory goes up REALLY high and put a little extra added stress on the hose (the one closest to the center of the case). It seems to be okay though.

I didn't rotate the entire TEC unit, just the circuit board. I left the hoses routed the way they were and the peltiers where they were also.I'm not sure why it looked different, maybe Coolit had different revisions?

That looks outstanding! Welcome to the TEC club. What kind of temps are you getting?

Back