Project: G5, AMD Inside

Dew

2[H]4U
Project: G5, AMD Inside

I've been wanting to do this ever since the G5 came out. So a few weeks ago I finally got up the nerve to do it. All parts are ordered, just waiting for my fans and USB/Firewire/Sound cables to arrive.

Case costs:
Case: $112
Cables, fans, screws/bolts: $105
Tools: $88
----------------------
Total: $305

Time spent: 15+ hours.

Something that has been an great help during this project is the G5 Service Manual. I have all the pinouts of all the power connectors and the front panel. I'm re-using as much of the original Mac hardware and wiring as possible to preserve the G5 look. I'll be reusing at least one of the SATA cables(the longer one----scratch that, neither one was long enough), all the HDD and DVD power cables, and rewiring the top shelf fans.

Here is the original setup and air flow design:
g5-airflow.gif

EDIT: Updated Specs
Specs of the machine, when complete:
MoBo: Asus A8N SLi Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice @ 2.54GHz
Cooling: Zalman CNPS 7000A-Cu, two Panaflo M1As
Video: BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E x16
RAM: Crucial Value Ram PC3200 2GB (2x1024)
Sound: Hercules Game Theater XP
HD: Western Digital 200GB SATA 7200RPM
HD2: Western Digital 320GB SATA 7200RPM
DVD: Pioneer DVR A05 (4x DVD Burner, better burner is in my fileserver, since that burns most of the DVDs.)
PSU: Antec NeoPower 480W Modular
Monitor: Dell 2005FPW (20" WideScreen LCD)
Mouse: Logitech MX700
Joystick: Logitech Cordless Freedom 2.4 Joystick

Here are some shots of the stock G5 case so you can see how it arrived:
Img_7955.jpg

Img_7956.jpg

Img_7957.jpg

Lining up the motherboard tray holder for tracing:
Img_7958.jpg

Tracing complete:
Img_7959.jpg

Tray mounted and ready to go. I should have taken more pics of the cutting. But it wasnt too interesting, tin snips and 15 minutes was all it took.
Img_7960.jpg

I used JB Weld to attach the other end of the motherboard tray to the case. Works great. The angle is a little off, so cards have to bend a little to secure in the PCI slots, but this isnt much of a bend at all, about 2MM. You'll also notice the three holes in the bottom. A little rough, but it was my first time using a hole saw and all the slop will be covered up with fans and filters.
Img_7962.jpg

Img_7963.jpg

Notice that the latch can still function. That ended up working out perfectly. No matter what, I wanted to keep the latch, and I didn't even have to try. :)
Img_7964.jpg

Cable routing. Gotta keep things nice and hidden. IDE cable will come from under the motherboard. The NeoPower is sitting on top of a gutted 120MM fan.
Img_7965.jpg

Now this was fun. I have verry little experience soldering, but I am improving every time I solder. Heatshrink is awesome for covering up your sloppy work too. :) Notice all the butchered modular cables. I wasn't thinking and cut one of the cables off at the base where it connects to the PSU, oops. Good thing I ordered a spare set of cables for the NeoPower.
Img_7966.jpg

Img_7967.jpg

My two panaflos don't arrive until next week, so that will have to wait. My motherboard header cables for the front panel wont arrive until then either, so the front panel will remain unused for the next week. More updates later today with the system mostly built.

Heh, wow. My website crashes as soon as I post this.

Uploading images to Supload.

Finished hole for power connector, now waiting on my right angle power cord.
IMG_7968.jpg

IMG_7969.jpg

This is by far the best cable management I've ever done.
IMG_7970.jpg

IMG_7971.JPG

IMG_7972.JPG

Yes, I know the IO sheild is missing, that should arrive from ASUS next week. Once that arrives, along with my fans, this project will be done. :)

I LOVE the results. :D

Looking good so far. Nice project.

BTW, I have to ask: where ever did you pick up a G5 case for that cheap? That's almost stealing.

ProphetSix said:
Looking good so far. Nice project.

BTW, I have to ask: where ever did you pick up a G5 case for that cheap? That's almost stealing.

Ebay, someone had it listed as G5 enclosure.

*edit* I'm being dumb and I didn't read into the manual enough. ignore this post and good luck with the case :D

No case updates for now, there should be some more come Monday night, after I get a chance to tear it down and put it back together(new IO backplane and voltmods).

I whipped up a new background to help me tell it apart from my other box when I'm switching inputs.

This gives new meaning to "Think different."

G5AMDInside3.png

I couldnt find any Apple logos big enough, so I took a picture of the side panel and edited that. Pasted the cutout logo over the AMD logo I found at HotHardware and applied the gaussian blur filter at 100 pixels about 6 times. That produced the desired fade. Then applied a smoothing blur, then resized it to my desktop size.

Large format cutout of apple logo available upon request.

Here is a sized down picture of the side panel if someone wants it.
Img_7973.jpg

I have also placed an order for the Apple Pro Extended USB Keyboard(the black and silver one). It should match my mouse(MX700), monitor(Dell 2005FPW). and my case.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dude you need to upload that wallpaper too. :)

Thats a good keyboard, you're also going to need a copy of AppleKeys, I think I have a copy... yeah I have one I can upload for ya.

how does the hard drive get power? it looks like they're too far away from the power supply.

Loud_TIGER said:
how does the hard drive get power? it looks like they're too far away from the power supply.

I soldered the original SATA power cables to the connector for the neo power. The original power cables are like 36inches long. Here is a shot of them:
Img_7966.jpg

DVD power is the same way, take a look at the last pic in the first post and you can see both ends.

roachm said:
OH I GET IT. G5(MAC) AMD (AMD duuh) Inside (Intel) OH WOW, WHAT A FUNNY

The entire statement was meant to be taken literally...

As for the mod, it should be finished this weekend.

The case is, for the most part done. I did run into some serious issues with the front panel. Namely, the wiring diagram is completely wrong. I'll get a multimeter tomorrow and start figuring out how things are supposed to go. For the power button and led I soldered the wires directly to the front panel. I'm getting really comfortable with the iron and component soldering. I might even do the volt-mod on my motherboard myself.

I'll post the corrected diagram once I'm finished.

Darth Millennial said:
Where did you order the case from?

Ebay

I'm gonna be delayed on completing the front panel. But here are the pics of the 98% complete case:

Img_8006.jpg

Img_8010.jpg

Img_8011.jpg

Img_8012.jpg

Img_8026.jpg

Img_8029.jpg

Img_8030.jpg

Img_8034.jpg

Img_8035.jpg

Img_8036.jpg

Img_8037.jpg

Img_8041.jpg

Img_8042.jpg

Img_8043.jpg

Img_8044.jpg

and because no mod is complete without the pic of the modder, here is me:

img_7994.jpg

When I do my second one. I'm going to use the Aluminum tray from mountanmods.

Loud_TIGER said:
how is the clearance from the bottom 120mm fans to the motherboard?

Less than 1CM. Probably more like 1MM depending on what you are comparing. About a MM from one fan to the back IO connectors, but they miss each other by that much, the fans could go back further, but not up further.

They miss the RAM release clips by about 5MM. About the same between the Zalman and the grill too.

Update:
Just ordered a 80GB Spinpoint SATA drive to run OSX86 on. I own a legal copy of Tiger, so I don't see any issues. Hopefully nVidia will release OSX86 Forceware drivers so my 7800GTX will work with full acceleration.

Dew said:
Update:
Just ordered a 80GB Spinpoint SATA drive to run OSX86 on. I own a legal copy of Tiger, so I don't see any issues. Hopefully nVidia will release OSX86 Forceware drivers so my 7800GTX will work with full acceleration.

It's illegal considering osx86 is an apple developer release only meant to run on the developer intel G5s.

Not that i have any issues with it, but i wouldn't go playing it off as legal

Dew said:
Update:

A legal copy of one OS is not a legal copy of another version of the same OS. Especially since Apple isn't selling licenses to OSX86. OSX86 is reserved for developer Intel Macs.

Back