Project: Galaxy 3.0

:eek: Just like everyone else gawking at the drives. So where does the burner go? ;)

boof said:
:eek: Just like everyone else gawking at the drives. So where does the burner go? ;)

I guess you could use a USB one ;)

Or transfer to another machine or burn it over the network if needed.

hawt damn holy sh*t lol

your my idol. so 20 drives at 500gb a drive.. :) TEN TB!!! holly hell!! lol

you gonna mount a smaller os drive tot he side or bottom?

You should be able to nicely wrap them serial cables in bundles of 5 going to the carreirs would look nice.. more pics more pics!!

paradoxblue said:
hawt damn holy sh*t lol

your my idol. so 20 drives at 500gb a drive.. :) TEN TB!!! holly hell!! lol

you gonna mount a smaller os drive tot he side or bottom?

You should be able to nicely wrap them serial cables in bundles of 5 going to the carreirs would look nice.. more pics more pics!!

The system drive has been mounted to the top of the case.

I will bundle and organize the sata cables once I get my PSU in so I can at least get an idea of the layout.

righty. good idea.

i plan to have roughly 10 hdd's in my pc once i get it. gonne custom build racks fr it on the inside though once i have it and can measure thigns :)

cant wait. im so excited to get to work on my pc.. :D :D :D

Updates:

Before (rough cabling)

AFTER (I allowed myself enough room with the cabling so that the 1KW (deep depth psu) can fit in niceley. I did the cabling 4 times over so I can get the best end result. The problem was that too many bundled cables became as stiff as iron rods :)

One thing that was bothering me the most about this stacker is the fans, they are 4 pin fans with a cord length that scares for nothing... so they had to go... same with the stackers grills... I'm going to use a traditional wire grill instead of the mesh to allow more of a unique look and more airflow. So I have new 120's on the way using shorther wires and also 3 pins... also better airflow management.

Here is a shot of the powerswitch I came up with... I used a cable from a case cable that had the motherboard interface ends on them already. Pretty simple concept.

Inside shot.

And here you have the outside front look with all the trays in :D

And I was worried about snaking three SATA cables! Solid looking storage. Keep the pics comming.

Steve

Will do.

I'm going to start building the second storage tower... upgrading neptune while I'm at it.

Stay tuned for pix! :)

ever thought about heat for the raptor? its gonna get pretty hot with all those drives, and the raptor is up top and hot air rises.. 0_0

0mega said:
ever thought about heat for the raptor? its gonna get pretty hot with all those drives, and the raptor is up top and hot air rises.. 0_0

The case top is steel, so I'm not really worried as the entire case will serve as a heatsink for the harddrive.

I worse comes to worse, I will put a few spacers in between the drive itself and the case (little tubes) to give it more breathing room if needed.

Very nice and clean cable job with the sata cords. I'm gonna have to start looking for neptune on here.

Thanks for the answer on hot swap trays.

Tim

you said this was for storing images of customers harddrives and such, so if you own your own company... this would all be a tax write off right? :D

sorry, its tax season, im in tax season mode....

haha tax right off :D do it!!
assuming your busines is registerd lmao

i love it. can u recomend a good PCI card for serial? my mobo takes 8 serial and 4 idea. so 12 hdd's there. but i wan to host 20 so i need to find a 8 port serial PCI card
btw cables lewk nice. and clean. still take less room then one standard ide cable lol

This is really private, so I doubt I can pull it as a business

Hmmm tax... ahh yes... reminds me, I have to go collect some day :D

paradoxblue said:
haha tax right off :D do it!!
assuming your busines is registerd lmao

i love it. can u recomend a good PCI card for serial? my mobo takes 8 serial and 4 idea. so 12 hdd's there. but i wan to host 20 so i need to find a 8 port serial PCI card
btw cables lewk nice. and clean. still take less room then one standard ide cable lol

I don't know what to recomend you, if you have PCIe, Highpoint has a rocketraid controller for pci out at about 230 bucks.... but it can do raid5..

Lookin' good. Someday I'll be able to afford that kind of storage. My 600gb array went from 0 to full in about two months, so 10tb would last me... about 3 years. My array's on one of those Supermicro cards. Nice little suckers.

hmm oh well ill work off the 12 i can fit now. i doubt i can afford hdd's for that at over 100 bucks a pop for a 250 lol

did you say you aren't doing any type of RAID on there?
shit, if I had a drive die and lost 500GB of data, i would probably cry -- especially if it was client data

I know that you lose space with RAID, blah blah, but i am just wondering?

Would it automatically rebuild? If you had raid 5 running across all the drives, and one died, could you:
pop it out while the machine was running/streaming a movie/music whatever
and slide a new one in and have it automatically rebuild itself?

Would you have to reboot? reformat? blink? anything?

hot damn. i think that about sums up my reaction to this fileserver...

i'm working (slowly) on putting together a 400gb fileserver (3x 200gb drives in raid5) you could store my whole array on 1 of your drives... *cries*

nice looking setup!

the black knight always triumphs!

rogue, wouldn't you need 4x200gb drives? because you'd have what? 2 200gb drives, but only one 200gb drive for redundancy?

sparky1_2007 said:
rogue, wouldn't you need 4x200gb drives? because you'd have what? 2 200gb drives, but only one 200gb drive for redundancy?
nope, you lose about 1/3 capacity in a RAID5 array (assuming he wants to use all 3 in the array at once, and not have a hotspare)

draconius said:
nope, you lose about 1/3 capacity in a RAID5 array (assuming he wants to use all 3 in the array at once, and not have a hotspare)
Technically, it's the capacity of one disk. So since he's got 3 disks, that means 1/3, but if he had 4 it'd be 1/4.

sooo raid 5 if u have 3 200 gig drives i would be able to use 400 of the 600 the lsot 200 would be redundant.

if one of the 200 gigs dropped and i popped a new 200 in it would rebuild? so kewl :D

wow, very nice
almost the exact system I would build for myself if I had the funds

draconius said:
did you say you aren't doing any type of RAID on there?
shit, if I had a drive die and lost 500GB of data, i would probably cry -- especially if it was client data

I know that you lose space with RAID, blah blah, but i am just wondering?

I'd cry too but thats why i have neptune for the really important data.

I'm a big fan of raid but after seeing before raid5 arrays that collapse or corrupt when trying to recover, I'm a bit sketchy on their security. You can't beat the tape drive or hard drive backup solutions :)

For the curious, I pieced together a similar system from all the usual sources and came up with a price tag around $9.5k. Over $6k of that is for (20) 500gb hard drives. Eventually, I'd like to build a similar system to act as a media server. I'm going to need the space when HD-DVD and Blu-ray hit the spot.

You are insane. Here I am salivating over the thought of getting one of those PCI-Express-based Areca 8 port controllers, so I can put together a high speed 4TB SATA array, but then remembering that I can't even afford the controller let alone the drives; and then I see you going for double digit TB's. Absolutely crazy. I salute you.
:D

Wow. Simply amazing. I can't believe you actually use that much storage. Everyone I know (IRL) thinks I have a ton (~375GB).

My question is, with all that data there, how many NICs do you plan to use? I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but I'd think you would want a couple if its under a heavy load. My workplace uses a cluster with multiple NICs and processors dedicated to certain things. Will you just use one, or try for more?

I just can't get over how cool that is for a home user. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the pics, no joke. Keep em coming, I'm itching for more.

chronic9 said:
ccan we get an update with that huge PSU?

I'm working on it. The HSF's finally arrived and I expect the video card to make an appearance today sometime.

I kinda got side tracked on my personal computer (just picked up a fx60, and a bunch of other stuff).

But you will have pictures soon!!!

UnlnvlslblE said:
Wow. Simply amazing. I can't believe you actually use that much storage. Everyone I know (IRL) thinks I have a ton (~375GB).

My question is, with all that data there, how many NICs do you plan to use? I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but I'd think you would want a couple if its under a heavy load. My workplace uses a cluster with multiple NICs and processors dedicated to certain things. Will you just use one, or try for more?

I just can't get over how cool that is for a home user. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the pics, no joke. Keep em coming, I'm itching for more.

Just one nic. I have tried multiples before but it's just not my cup of tea. I have no need for more than one gigabit nic anyways :)

Ockie said:
I'm working on it. The HSF's finally arrived and I expect the video card to make an appearance today sometime.

I kinda got side tracked on my personal computer (just picked up a fx60, and a bunch of other stuff).
How about some pics of that system?
:)

dang, i'm a noob at raid-5.... i need to do my research...

i always thought that if you were using raid 5, that you had to have a hard drive for redundancy be the same ammount of GB's as the 2 drives that are striped.

just goes to show that i don't know that much about computers :p

i am also looking to put together a raid-5, but i can't find a cheap PCI raid card that supports raid-5 that's under $100....

More pics coming tonight :)

I installed the video card and heatsinks. Used an older psu laying around to boot it and install the OS... ahhhh working so good :) Now just have to get that damn psu.

Heatsinks and video card ready to go :D All tested working! yay!

Another shot: One thing about the video card that made me happy... the size of it was almost that of the controllers... so it's not sticking out very far and it looks nice and clean :)

Had to find a card with dvi that was reasonably priced for a server (no fan, solid performance)

*cries*

Your system is insane...it has the most storage on a single home PC that I have ever seen. How can you afford such a thing? Oh well, I envy you :p .

Back