Project: Galaxy 3.0

I was fooling around with newegg.com and came up with this ridiculous set up.. But it's possible isnt it?

96x 720GB SATA2 HD (72 TB) 38.4 grand
4x Areca ARC-1170 Controller card (Support up to 24 HD) $4,796
Server mainboard supporting 4x PCI-X $480
Dual Xeon processor $1,779

Of course this doesent include RAM, PSU, Chasis, etc :eek:

Soyo13 said:
I was fooling around with newegg.com and came up with this ridiculous set up.. But it's possible isnt it?

Of course this doesent include RAM, PSU, Chasis, etc :eek:

That would be a great place to store some p0rn.

sFanky said:
I've admired your machines for a while now, and you inspired me a year ago to make my own (better) FS. Here is my setup:

Comp specs:
Main Case:
Areca PCIe ARC-1260 raid controller
3ware 9500s-12 raid controller (controlls 250x12 drives in another case)
WD3200KS 320GB x 10 (soon to be 16)
WD800JD 80GB x1 (boot drive)
AMD athlon 64 3000+ (it's just a fileserver for me, so no need for lots of power)
ABIT Kn8 SLI 939 MB
Antec TPII-550 PSU
1g corsair DDR400
VGA diamond (crappy video card, otherwise it wont' boot)
Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 Case
SuperMicro ATA-150 x 2 (thanks to you, these are the best!)

Other case:
WD 250GB drives x12
Antec TPII-550 PSU (another one for the 12 drives)

So the 3ware card has 12 sata cables coming out of it into the other case (another CM stacker :) and that case doesn't seems fine heat wise (slower drives, less clutter). I did this all so i could save space by having another computer in the 'other' case while using it's HD space for the 12 drives.

Have you found you have any heating issues? what is the normal tempurature your drives are running at?

I recently just moved, and my new appartment has no A/C :( My drives are starting to get close to the max recommending heat recommendation, and i'm getting a bit worried. Any suggestions?

As you can see i'm looking at going to 16 drives (already ordered) and that will certainly not *help* the heat.

anyhow, any input you have would be great, thanks.

Sorry for the SUPER LATE reply, however, you might still find information usefull.

Nice setup, wait till you see whats hiding in my closet ;) hehe

Anyways, those supermicro bay coolers are keeping the drives very very cool, I'm having no heating issues. The drive bays are set to scream at 55degrees c and they have yet to trigger any alarms and the airflow seems more than adequate.

If you are looking for more supermicro hotswap drive bays, let me know... if you are looking for a stacker to boot too, let me know, perhaps I can combo deal you or something.

unimatrixzer0 said:
How much did Galaxy 3.0 end up costing you?

No real idea, it's always been a work in progress in terms of upgrading and such.

everfalling said:
maybe i missed it, but what is this all fore? that's a butt load of hardware you're using. you do some kinda in house webhosting?

It's in the thread. Basically for sheer storage. Nope, no webhosting :)

soyo13 said:

Of course this doesent include RAM, PSU, Chasis, etc
[/quote]

Now that would be sick :cool:

Update:

I am upgrading galaxy, this will be a multiple phase upgrade/replacement... however this would be largley a lateral upgrade movement.

I will keep the galaxy 3.0 ensignia, perhaps move it to a 3.5 as it's not a massive storage meduim increase.

My goal of the new project update would be to reduce the noise, right now it's loud, but being bitten latley by the ultra silence bug, I have the desire to make a file server that emits no more noise than a ultra silent desktop (yes, I have some plans in the works). So keep updated for pics! This is more of a project to prove that it's possible. My desktop is ultra silent and thats running quad sli, so this is defnitley doable.

I will also be updating the hardware in the system, however that comes at Phase 2. SATA controllers will be replaced in Phase 3. Galaxy 2.0 will also undergo a silence upgrade with also involves the selling of it's stacker case.

As for right now, I am selling:

- Galaxy 3.0 case and the Galaxy 2.0 Stacker cases, they are the 810 stacker cases in silver/black.
- 4 x 5-Drive hot swap supermicro units sata
- PC and Power Cooling 1KW TC1KW PSU

If you guys are intrested, please refer to my forsale thread here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1107351

Once phase 1 is complete, I will offer up the board, two original processors (opteron 240's), two heatsinks, and original memory (1gb ddr ecc reg) as a complete bundle for $250 + sh.

Once phase 2 is complete, I will offer up the last two controllers in galaxy 3.0 (8 port supermicro sata2 controllers).

So keep tuned!

Make sure to link it in this thread so people following it don't miss it :D

Very cool, i was so excitied when i saw you where selling, and upgrading, cannot wait to watch.

Gee, why not just buy a Thumper from Sun and be done with all your storage problems?
k3_sunfirex4500_4.jpg

Everfalling said:
what? where's the fun in that? :-D
I haven't posted in here in ages, computers are now my day job and I don't have the time for when something fails. I guess it's like the chef that comes back home and orders a pizza, know what I'm saying? :D

Ockie said:
Sorry for the SUPER LATE reply, however, you might still find information usefull.

Nice setup, wait till you see whats hiding in my closet ;) hehe

Anyways, those supermicro bay coolers are keeping the drives very very cool, I'm having no heating issues. The drive bays are set to scream at 55degrees c and they have yet to trigger any alarms and the airflow seems more than adequate.

If you are looking for more supermicro hotswap drive bays, let me know... if you are looking for a stacker to boot too, let me know, perhaps I can combo deal you or something.

Holy cow, that was late!

I've already got the drives and they actually didnt' make much of a difference, the top drives only run about .5c hotter then when i had 10x320's.

So, mine are set to scream at 55c also, but isnt' it bad for them to even get close to that? espcecially prologed? I looked up the heat on the array and it reports there about 5c hotter then my external temp guage. Winter is starting in, so it's not a problem anymore, but i ran for about a month with them 45-55c. I'm wondering if i'm killing the lifespan enough to matter.

Well, as long as they last a few years i could care less, 1TB's will be out by the end of this year, which means the whole thing will be obsolete in 2 years.

Oh, and, no one asked but i'd figured i'd mention it, the box's name is 'lore' and the old one was 'Q' (i know, i'm a bit of a trekkie)

btw, how do you like the quade sli? i just got a 7950gx2 myself to drive my new Dell 30 inch LCD :)

sFanky said:
btw, how do you like the quade sli? i just got a 7950gx2 myself to drive my new Dell 30 inch LCD :)

Love it. The 3007 sails very smoothly with it :)

I know i'm getting off topic but....What kind of framerate do you get in games? I get about 15-30 FPS in HL-2 with everything turned on in 2560x1600 with the one card. It's a little slow for me so i gotta run in 1920x1200 @ ~50fps to play.

But, i may get another card if it can do ~50 @ 2560

....btw, if your anwser is "i dont' play games" (which would not suprise me!) then i gotta ask, why the quad sli? Just to keep your pimp pants strong? :cool:

-

sFanky said:
I know i'm getting off topic but....What kind of framerate do you get in games? I get about 15-30 FPS in HL-2 with everything turned on in 2560x1600 with the one card. It's a little slow for me so i gotta run in 1920x1200 @ ~50fps to play.

But, i may get another card if it can do ~50 @ 2560

....btw, if your anwser is "i dont' play games" (which would not suprise me!) then i gotta ask, why the quad sli? Just to keep your pimp pants strong? :cool:

-

CSS runs really high, about 4 times higher than you experience maxed out

Okay guys, I sold some of the components, so please check back soon! I am about to order the new components either today or tomorrow and I will take pictures during the entire process :)

This is going to be a galaxy 4.0, I am skipping the 3.5 step as I've decided to increase the storage and to also change the entire design. I will still go ultra silent, but I will also go to higher capacities and still follow the build phases.

Ozone77 said:
Yes please, things are getting too crowded here, a new thread for Galxy 4.0 would be welcome.

I will launch one once the first component arrives :)

Back