Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ockie? With *raid*?

Wow.

That's definitely an awesome looking case... sounds like you have a pretty good plan for it, too. I've been contemplating dropping the sat2-mv8 controllers I have for an LSI solution or something... but the rest of my system needs upgrading before that :/

With 1-tb drives, that's probably a pretty good solution. It won't be quiet like your current case, though, if that still matters.

Yeah yeah, well raid was an idea I had, not sure if these non-raid edition WD's are going to like it... although with only 24 drives, I do not have to worry about running out of drive letters as I have before.

One quick question, how much do you plan to spend on that all?

And how do you do backups with the system, RAID 5?

24 TB is crazy storage, its less of the galaxy and more of a super massive black hole.

Not hating, but what do you store on that?

Raid 6 would be the most likley candidate IMO. Backups wouldn't really exist at this point. Now if I went my traditional non-raid route, then I could use a few of the spare drives (that the raid overhead would normally consume) for backups.

24tb will suit my needs for the time being, by then I'm sure the new 1.5's or whatever will be out, so thats always an option.

isn't it time to start the 'Galaxy 5.0' worklog yet? Quit teasing us!

Yeah, I think a new worklog is in order.

im glad that I am not the only person who has the mindset of "there is no amount of hard drive storage space that is enough for me"

but, i am not glad that you can afford it, and i cant! haha!

*drools over 24tb*

if i had that kind of space, i would challenge you to a contest to see who could fill it the fastest from nothing...
I, too keep copies of every little driver, program, patch, update, etc...
but i also have a serious torrent addiction, so that does not help my storage problems... my dvd binders are getting full.. i just might have to go take out a $10k loan

You would probably need the RAID Edition type drives. I had a major crash a few years ago when the drives were trying to do their own error correction and the controller booted them out of the array thinking they had failed. The RE drives don't do that

You would probably need the RAID Edition type drives. I had a major crash a few years ago when the drives were trying to do their own error correction and the controller booted them out of the array thinking they had failed. The RE drives don't do that

Yeah, that's what I figured. Another check for the "why I do not like raid" category :D

Also, it's only 24 drives, so I'm all good with drive letters. :D Most likley it will be no raid for me, I'm just pondering the idea. I think I may still consider the 2240's or gowith the 2340's to enjoy some PCIE love.

One quick question, how much do you plan to spend on that all?

And how do you do backups with the system, RAID 5?

24 TB is crazy storage, its less of the galaxy and more of a super massive black hole.

Not hating, but what do you store on that?

Ockie is probably amassing the largest p0rn collection in the world. :eek:

Nice case, Ockie. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back