Project: Gr1zz

I'll pose naked for some pics with it :D

Your rig really gave me some ideas, I love the front instrument panel w/ the pda!. It got me all excited for me to find my ancient palm and then discovered that side window program only works with mobile pcs :/

warmace, is the top window cutout from the 2x120mm radgrillz printout? What size screw hole did you use to attach the acrylic to the metal panes?

Anyways, definately one great rig! when are the pics gonna come?

I'd settle for bikini shots.. as long as it isn't you. :eek:

- JT

HAHAHAHAH

Sweet mod man. If i had more tools i would mod an awesome case. I have allot of toold but not enough....yet. I'm just going to get a U2-UFO, ordering it tomorrow.

AWESOME MOD! Looks really good, doubt i could make mine look that nice.

Tyler

Hey, that's a really nice modded CM stacker case you have there.

Just kidding, it looks awesome!

(Ref: The first post in this thread, last bullet item.)

fantastic job on this dude, get us the nice photo's now! :) I wanna see this thing purr

... is the top window cutout from the 2x120mm radgrillz printout? What size screw hole did you use to attach the acrylic to the metal panes?

Anyways, definately one great rig! when are the pics gonna come?

Thanks! The top wasent cut for a Rad' In fact, its too large for a radiator. We just cut a cool window design that looked good. I used #8 bolts but in the later photos you will see I am capping them off to dress it up, and look more rugged.

Hey, that's a really nice modded CM stacker case you have there.

I don't have time to completely change the doors, so when its together the big circle on the side will bug me until they are customized. But other than that, its not a stacker anymore.

Thank you Willsonman and RadRob for your help on the switches!

Heres a quick movie showing them in action.
http://warmace.net/HardOCP/Gr1zzPC/panel/SwitchesWorkMovie.wmv
In this movie I switch the lights on then off. Then I switch the lights and the Peltier fan ON. Its really loud at 12v, but I think 5v will be too slow. I can test that more in the future.
The beeping sound is not part of my PC, it is the PSU tester I am using to jump the test PSU.

LightsOnInTheDark.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, JT, Ill post updates here once I get there of how it looks. Until then....

Peltier is in and frosty cold!

Off to radioshack for last minute female spades, brb.

extenctions
HAHA!! you are so pressed to get it done your spelling has gone to POT!!!! I have to work in the morning so I look forward to the final pics when I arrive home!!! BEST OF LUCK... you have made it a great run!

Couple of high res photos to show you the status it will be arriving at the lan party in.
Photo1
Photo2

Thanks for all your help and support!!!! If there is internet at the LAN party, ill post an update. Otherwise this worklong is not finished, just slowing down so I can do bills, dishes, shower, ya-know, all those things I have been lacking to get this done in time. :D

Last edited:
Couple Hours to go.

Installing BF2 (which still sucks to patch), CS, and various apps for the Nor'easter. If I did not take the 3 days off using vacation time, I never would have been ready to game on it. I am resisting calling it done because I did not do a few things, but only I will know what is missing (like the reset button is not wired up for example).

Gonna tune up a light over clock just to say it is, but nothing proper until i get back.

I really like how you finished off the screws on the hinges for the plexi, and the top window. Awesome job! Hope you have fun at the lan party!

Couple Hours to go.

Installing BF2 (which still sucks to patch), CS, and various apps for the Nor'easter. If I did not take the 3 days off using vacation time, I never would have been ready to game on it. I am resisting calling it done because I did not do a few things, but only I will know what is missing (like the reset button is not wired up for example).

Gonna tune up a light over clock just to say it is, but nothing proper until i get back.

I really like your chiller idea. Can you post some pics of it? I am considering doing that because I am going to add another GTX into the system soon.

Thanks

Mr. Gr1zz, you really nailed this mod! Is that really a stacker? It looks great! It's amazing all that you (and helper ;)) did in such a short period of time. I especially like that fully windowed top, but of course you can't miss that custom designed access panel with curved plexy door, fill port, and LCD display, Whoa! And a water cooling pelt to boot! Just gotta say really nice job. Have fun fragging! :)

Your plexi window and PDA idea turned out great. Very creative.

One suggestion re: the mesh (if this contrast wasn't done for artistic purposes), I noticed that the portion cut for the optical drive doesn't match the pattern below. It is off by half a square of the alternating pattern.

I really like your chiller idea. Can you post some pics of it? I am considering doing that because I am going to add another GTX into the system soon.

Thanks

Check out previous posts for a better description of how it is put together. Mine is currently sloppy, and WILL be remade with better parts providing I can find them cheap (read: used). But my chiller is not powerful enough to make up for a radiator. Think of it more like after all the heat is dumped with a proper radiator(s), the chiller is a final touch for a 1C drop(at 5V) or better if i can get better cooling on it to run it at a full 12v. All in all it works to drop a C here or there but its no radiator. I think watercooling the hot side of the peltier on its own loop may let you achieve much better results.

Mr. Gr1zz, you really nailed this mod!
Thank you, part of the surprise for most people is this was done on a shoestring budget. A lot of raw materials and imagination here, no window kits for me. But the flip lid would be a cool "Kit" to sell....Hmmm.

One suggestion re: the mesh (if this contrast wasn't done for artistic purposes), I noticed that the portion cut for the optical drive doesn't match the pattern below. It is off by half a square of the alternating pattern.

Oops, I had no tin snips and had to use wirecutters and slowly cut out that piece. It would be no bigh deal to redo it now that its not 10pm the night before the party like when I did it last time.

I'm real anxious to hear how Grizz's LAN session went. :D

- JT

Ok, no internet on the lan this event, and when I got home late Sunday I was beat and left the whole PC in the car. Tonight Ill take my time and make a nice post covering the event, and get back to modding the case.

Until then here is a teaser photo...

IMG_3272.JPG

Ok, no internet on the lan this event, and when I got home late Sunday I was beat and left the whole PC in the car. Tonight Ill take my time and make a nice post covering the event, and get back to modding the case.
Looking forward to it!! :D

- JT

Sorry the image is so big, I'm having trouble uploading any more files (thumbnails) to my ftp at the moment.

awwww, whose ugly mug is that????
j/k, im not pretty! :)
nice rig dude, more pix, please, and stats,

Ok, here is my catchup for everything that happened up untill now.

IMG_3227.JPG

Its hard for me to know the order the photos go in because i was jumping around a lot. Here I am installing XP before the internal baffle was even painted.

IMG_3242.JPG

Making your own custom power and reset switches take a long time to solder all the connections. I had to strip the cable out of an old case for the cable. And solder in a length of phone wire because it was not long enough.

IMG_3251.JPG

One big issue is that the inside baffle is made perfectly, its the internal lighting that stinks. From the top window you really cant tell how much work I did down here, this side shot shows it well.

IMG_3252.JPG

Another angle. I need to get some white lights to mount under the video card or something... At the LAN party everyone just saw the video card and couldn't really look past it. (you will see in the lan party photos.)

IMG_3260.JPG

Like so..

IMG_3254.JPG

A nice angle of the yet unfinished PC.

Last edited:
Ok here goes my attempt at thumbs... Feel free to view the full size.

401 preregistered gamers, and unknown amount registered at the door.

I amazed a lot of people, and got a ton of compliments. But everyone who took a closer look never noticed how clean my wires were inside or the baffle at all, and the only criticism i got from the case was the sloppy Chiller mounting, and the rough edges on the side of the flip lid. Needless to say adding better lighting inside and cleaning up sloppy stuff will be high priority fixes!

Ignore my friend in the back ;-)
Showing my colors, i ran that wall paper the entire time.

Not too many "custom" computers by our standards, I was looking pritty hard. A couple nice PC's in a sea of stock cases stuffed with plastic crap from china to make their pc's look flashy.

the event ran 2 days straight. Most people left to go sleep, some slept where they were. I myself put my head down on the table for an hour, but my wife showed us all by not sleeping one wink for almost 2 days.:eek: Between the 2 of us we shined off a case and a quarter of sugar-free redbull.

Movie time! http://warmace.net/hardocp/NorEaster2007/MVI_3304.AVI

There was one guy with dual BFG8800GTX Watercooled on a single 120mm rad and a stock intel cooler on his CPU. That struck me as odd. Sadly he was the only dual GTX i could find in the house.

Now that Im back home and have kinda-sorta finished setting up XP, I can get back to casually continuing on my PC.

The entire photo collection can be found here.

Awesome gallery man, I definitely need to go next year. Where abouts do you live? I'm here in Southern NH.

Just click on the fuxin gallery link and few them from there. Worked fine for me.

very nice stuff bro :) I hope to be at the next storm!

Nice work man! :D

But wtf, a LAN-party at that size with NO INTERNET?!?! Gotta be booooring. :confused:

Back