Project: Homebuilt Smaller Form Factor

None of the above. The LS-371 has an onboard power circuit that accepts 8 to 24 volts. The board comes with a cable that plugs into the board that has a barrel connector on one end. I use an external 12 volt power brick like a laptop uses. I wouldn't hook it direct to car power, though. I'd want some kind of fused regulator.

I find it to be a lot nicer than using a real ATX PSU. Functions just like one, without any extra cables taking up space. You would need some kind of shutdown controller or an easily reachable power button to start it up and shut it off.

There's really nothing to update. I've been using it at my job since May. Quiet and reliable, not a single crash and never rebooted except to install software updates. Complete system with Dell E207WFP monitor pulls 50 watts at idle, 65-70 under a full load. Idle temps around 27C most of the time, load around 45C. Thats with a single 120mm fan for cooling, nothing else in the system. I do have to blow the dust off the mesh every so often, but it seems that the relatively small size of the holes keeps the majority out of the system.

I swapped out the 500GB for an 80GB since I don't need that much space at work. Also upgraded to 2GB of RAM and picked up an MS wireless KB/mouse set.

Kind of anti-climactic, it just works like it's supposed to work.

Back