Project : Little Brother!

Pugger

Limp Gawd
Well Here we go!!

Ill start by saying ive never modded a pc case before so if you think im doing somthing wrong or you think you cud help in some way please lemmie know

Right onto buisness

I just Built my Lil Bro (16) a New 64bit system consiting of :

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
AMD 3500+
1Gb Corsair TwinX 3200 (2x 512mb)
Nvidia 6600GT AGP

and at the time of built i could only get a Cheap plastic case in red its sooo Chav it scares me :(

So when i bought my new Thermaltake Tsunami Dream i got an idea. Kill 2 birds with one stone, Mod my Raidmax Scorpio 868 and give it to him for xmas...

The mod has started and is a bit thru but ill start with pics from now on.

For people that have no idea what a Raidmax scorpio is heres a picture (mines is Black)

scorpio868.jpg

First thing i wanted to do was to get rid of that stupid looking side window... so i took a 5" grinder and a Ultra thin Cutting disk and cut it out and too off rags with a needle file...

Cuts Dont look to bad tbh who needs a dremel!!

Bare in mind the case is getting painted so paint chips are no worry.

I bought some plexi 6mm thick and traced thru from the side panel and drilled 5.5mm holes for Stainless steel Button head bolts to hole the window in place.

FRONT PANEL

front868mod14hw.jpg

The plan for the front of the case is To Flush off the Grilled area and then create a front mounted Blowhole and have a custom made aluminium Blowhole duct made. the Door area has still to be decided yet

I took the door off and ground down the plastic in the grille area, down far enough to allow to Put in Mesh for the Bodyfiller (Bondo for the yanks in the house ;) ) to grip too.

i then cut a peice of Aluminium mesh and araldited it onto the front panel.

Closer look at the mesh

What you think so far guys???

I have chosen the colours for the outside and inside of the case but ill keep stum atm.

C&C please. More updates soon

Dan

Since the Forums seemed to be down over the weekend i couldnt post the little bits i done :)

But i still took the pics so here we go again :D

So i started working on the Front panel again... needs to get done spose :S

Went and bought some Isopol P38 Autobody filler. Easy sand they say... Lying Basta*ds!! stuffs tough as fook.

Set up shop in our newly fitted kitchen *cough* put plenty paper down to keep her happy.. hope to have a shed to work in soon.

Applyed the first layer to cover the Mesh which infact used almost half the tub lol

while that was drying and stinking out the house i decided to go etch the window or at least try heh
I printed off the text i wanted at the size i want and reversed it. then i taped the paper onto tthe front (outside) of the plexi.

I cant afford a dremel atm so i took an etchin tool from work for the weekend, its made to etch onto metal for date stamping etc.

Seems nice to hold just like a chunky pen :D

I think for my first time etching i done ok and its gonna be backlit with blue cathodes.

I put another layer of Filler on the front of the case after an lil sand.

ill Get back onto that later with a palm sander if i can borrow one :)

IWhen at work today i decided to do the Top blowholes... the easy way for my to do this is was to remove the roof as it will be easier for drilling and painting both the roof and interior later.

so fist off i marked where i wanted to put the holes.

then i got myself thanks to my kind foreman a 76mm (3") Holesaw.

Took the lid to the small Drill ;) and set it up.

Then i drilled thru and prayed for the best. went thru fine and heres the drilled items.

then i took a Hand drilla nd a 4mm drill bit and done the Mounting holes

Thats as far as i have got at the momwnt.. if you have any comments please leave them :)

Cheers

Dan

Anyone got any ideas for the door front??? the Yellow part in the Sketchup pic :D

ill post more pics later for anyone that cares :eek:

altec said:
Do this with plexi in the inside.
front868mod14hw4jv.jpg

Good idea :) kepp em coming...

might have an idea but we'll see how much alu i can get my ghands on and time for that matter :D

My suggestion, put a piece of white frosted acrylic in the yellow part with some white cold cathods on the side and in front of it put an image printed on overhead tranparency. My bro used to have a scorpio, can't remember how much room they had in the door, but if you have enough that would be pretty awesome.

I'd say merge both of the above ideas the edging will make it look like the fan and have it a frosted window with some design that you like in the center that isn't frosted. Good work thus far.

Cheers for the idea's guys :)

Should have more progress pic 2moz... ive done a fair bit more Filling to the front panel and its near ready to drill for the blow hole.

and ill test to see what the top Holes look like fanned up and lit :)

cheers guys

Dan

Righto since my last post with pics ive mainly been working on the front panel. and trying to decide what materials to get the front Blowhole and Feet Done in.

didnt really see the point taking pics of everylayer of filler lol plus i didnt always have the camera on me.

i put 3 more layers ontop of the original one and its taking shape... really only needs fine filler (Stoppa) to finish it off :D

Without the door

With Door

Really a bad pic... makes it look squint and crappy :(

Hosts being ghey tsk typical.

soo fouind somewhere else.

thtas got a layer of grey plastic primer on to allow me to see how deep scrathes and pittings are. fine filler will sort them.

i also test fitted the 2 silent 80mm fans onto the roof panel.

Backside

Top Side (filled parts were small dents lol)

And Best of all Lit up with UV CCFL's

well more soon i hope.. working on the front door as i have some idea's.

OHHH who wants to see the colour scheme?? lemmie know andill post the pics :D

Cheers guys

Danny

Who's gonna guess the colours im gonna use :p

And or what would you paint it???

Small update...

Primed the side's and top today... sides are looking great but the top has a Crease and the filler looks slightly high.. so ill sand it and refill 2moz.

On another note i drilled a 76mm hole in the front panel and im in the process of opening it too 95mm to fit the blow hole That should have hopfully been machined this weekend :)

Ill get pics of the front 2moz hopfully guys...

Comments please :D

Can i find out how many people have subscribed??

Dan

Not trying to be a downer or anything but you should work on your bondo application skills. You put it on in layers which is smart but you really should have had a smooth surface on top (use a large spreader) when you were done. Having it smooth on top makes sanding easier.

otherwise good stuff.

Qtip42 said:
Not trying to be a downer or anything but you should work on your bondo application skills. You put it on in layers which is smart but you really should have had a smooth surface on top (use a large spreader) when you were done. Having it smooth on top makes sanding easier.

otherwise good stuff.

*Que Brown Nosing*

lol

To be perfectly honest Mate thats the comments i want and need... it'll only make me better :) But i didnt really want a flat surface i wanted to follow the curvature (sp) of the panel.. but i still understand what you mean mate :)

And good otherwise is a huge complement coming from yourself ... i love your work!!! :D

Cheers for the comments...

Dan

Well its finished... didnt get much of a responce on this worklog... i think that put me off posting a bit :(

ahhh well

Heres some pics of the case... The door looks a diff colour in the pic but isnt in real life

DSCN1576.jpg

DSCN1577.jpg

DSCN1578.jpg

DSCN1580.jpg

DSCN1584.jpg

All in all the case started out as a premodded case.. and i took it and made it into this custom oneoff case and im well chuffed

Hope my bro likes it.. will find out in the morning spose :confused: :confused:

The Front blowhole and feet were custom CNC machined at my work (big shout to Paul for doing them cheers mate!!! ) and if they were a real job would have together cost around £670 lol worlds most expensive blowhole

well guys hit me with comments :D

Cheers

Dan

I like it. I actually have that same case, but I haven't modded anything on it yet. I'm still on the lookout for a G5 case for my pc's new home. I like the way the front turned out. That aluminum piece looks much better than the original light combo. Good work. :)

Wow Cheers Guys :D

Targ24 Try moddin the Scorpio when your into your new case... i enjoyed it... kinda like a hobby :D

but a tip... Go for normal paint (Auto) because that plasticote stuff is a bitch :p

Merry Xmas guys :D

dan

Yeah, every case I've done so far has been with duplicolor automotive paitn from autozone. Cheap, and does a decent job with polishing. I might mod the case when I move out of it. We'll see what I can come up with. I might do something similar to what you did with the aluminum in front, but instead, make it an acrylic window so you can see through he CD rom cage or something. Anyway, I hope your bro likes it. I know I would. :D

Targ24 said:
Yeah, every case I've done so far has been with duplicolor automotive paitn from autozone. Cheap, and does a decent job with polishing. I might mod the case when I move out of it. We'll see what I can come up with. I might do something similar to what you did with the aluminum in front, but instead, make it an acrylic window so you can see through he CD rom cage or something. Anyway, I hope your bro likes it. I know I would. :D

The acrylic on the front doors been done :p

Thats why i went alu :)

i was gonna put a bit of 1mm alu and then 6 mm acrylic and drill down from the top edge and mount 2 or 3 drop lighing LED's but i cba lol

Well, I just ordered my G5 case. Should be here in a little while. It'll probably take a while to finish the case, so the scorpio is my rig's home for a bit longer, but I plan to make a worklog, so keep your eyes open. So, did your brother like it? ;)

Wow, I like that a lot, my friend has that case, and I always thought that some sort of cool mod could be done to it. Nice job man! I hope your brother liked it.

Yeah he Loved it :D Never seen him Happier :p

Such a relief lol... now im bored cos i have nothing to work on!!

And no im not Hitting the TT just yet :p

Cheers for the Positive Comments guys...

Dan

holy crap! that looks freaking awesome. youve turn an ok premodded into an awesome mod.

Back