Project: MLM - Watercooled/Overclocked

Michigan PC

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks to all you guys who helped me out....I finally got my project rolling. My aspire x qpack in yellow came today. Looks gorgeous from newegg. I plan on watercooling this bad boy among other things. I have to take it slow since as a highschool student money doesn't come in fast. I will out fit it with a 7800 gt and a athlon 64, or an x2. I will hold on for the motherboard because I hear that their are some new m atx's come in like a month. I am really in no hurry. Here are some picks. Share your input and tell me your ideas for the Michiganian LAN Machine.

yellpimp1.bmp

yellpimp3.bmp

yellpimp2.bmp

thanks. The yellow looks pretty good I think. Not many people go for the yellow x qpack. I see mostly silvers and blues.

watercooling....hhmmm...as far as that goes, where do I put the "filler" point ot watever. I've never done any watercooling or anything. In an aspire x qpack, where do I put this?

Well if you're going with the water cooling setup I have, the fill point is in the front of the 5-1/4" bay.......nice and easy access.

I plan on getting a athlon 64 4000 in this and overlcocking it. I am goin to get some aluminum polish to make clean up the chassis. I plan on watercooling. I will put lot of uv reactive parts in. My color sceme is like a yellow/orange/pink thing. Anyone know any good watercooling kits for this sff?

sorry for the triple posting here...what tool do you guys reccomend fro cutting a dvd drive window? tin snips? sorry never done this before.

hehe...nice one...I seriously need help though

1. what tool to cut a dvd drive window?
2. what watercooling kits?

You have to take the part you are going to cut off first. Then you can use a dremel or jigsaw. Just make sure it is supported.

watercooling kits?

ahh man, come on now, lets get serious

you can get the tiny dangerden pump for 50 bucks or so, then you can pair that with the TDX block, a BIP1 or 2 rad, and maybe a gpu block, the pumps are chainable so get as many as you want.

Your in michigan too....where at? Maybe we could meet up and I could help you mod!!

boasist said:
Your in michigan too....where at? Maybe we could meet up and I could help you mod!!

omg rapist! :p

as for the person who suggested the pre-water cooled ones for sale, u kinda missed 2 things, first: the picture of the qpack already in his home, and second, he mentioned he's on a low income basis as a high school student, so the extra money it would cost is a bad thing.

check your psu and see if its the newer model they're shipping with the qpacks or not now, if it isn't, you'll probably need a new psu, but you might want to think of getting a good psu either way.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=932342

that thread has some stuff w/ it in there w/ pictures.

boasist said:
thanks for all the help guys...and boasist I think I"ll stick to modding by myself.

would the aguagate mini work for cpu watercooling? Can I change the tubing to clear tubing?

damn it boy.....no kits

go over to dangerden.com , sidewindercomputers.com

danger den has a coupon right now for 20% off, PDXLAN or something like that, go search for it in the hot deals section.

the external boxes, the pre built systems, the 5.25 bay systems, are equal to air in most cases, thier cooling just isn't up there, go individual, go hard.

ok, now lets see what you got kid. start modding.

get the swiftech kit just in spite...swiftech offers the best CPU cooler (thats not silver) right now. Their kits are probably the best and it is not bad to get a kit at all but rather smart because you get parts that work together.

I am pumped! I just read the amdzone review of the x2 3800! It overlcocks to a stable 2.6 - 2.7 ghz no problem with stock cooling! The list price will be like 360 bucks too! This rocks ! Why would anybody get a 4200 x2 when you can save 150 bucks, get a 3800 x2, and overlcock it!

arn't they the same cpu with different clock speeds?

Still I am biased toward the athlon 64 4000 san diego. It is a power house very similar to the fx 53. I am not much of a multitasker anyway. I am either on the internet, or playing a game. I would rather pay 470 bucks for a powerful processer than pay 580 bucks for two 3500s together.

what do you guys think?

I agree...besides, when you actually need dual core they will be down in price...I will probably get a 4000+

4000 san diego woot woot..powerful...if I got a x2 4400 it would still get beat by the 4000 in games.

ok, still changing my mind...I just saw an 4200 x2 at mwave for $495.00

I read more reviews...the x2 4200 is very very slightly behind the 4000 in games. It can overlcock to 2.7 on air. Maybe I can hit 2.8 on watercooling. I may just have to go with the x2 4200. The price is only 25 bucks off the 4000. Everything is starting to go double threaded. hmmmm

maybe I'll get a 4200 x2 and overlcock it like a mad man......

what motherboards do you guys reccomend for overclocking a x2 4200?

- must be matx form factor
- must be overclockable
- socket 939

I suggest you wait...

4400+ is supposed to go down in price too (550 i believe) and is roughly 2x4000+.

I think he meant it in a good way :). I still suggest swiftech though..because they rock.

I checked out some sites...the x2 4400 will come down to 540 bucks.

the x2 4200 will come down to $485.00

If I save up, overclocking the 4400 seems like the most bang for the buck.

Back