Project: N.E.U.N.B.

I had quick chance to hook things up and see how new PSU works. I didn't stress test it but it initially made buzzing/ticking noise then it went away. After that, GTX260 was loudest followed by stock Intel heatsink then PSU. Without stressing it, it's pretty quiet. Hope it stays that way when I do stress test.

Last edited:
Scottath, I replied your PM. It's quite a surprise to me to see someone joining Hardforum just to send a message to me. :) I've never though this log would have close to 7,000 view so far either! :) I figured this log would be for myself to remember what I did than people visiting to see what I'm doing with my build. All these are surprise to me. :D

Well, sad news is that I have no update for now though. Work, family and my laziness failed me to give update for you guys. Not to mention getting BC2 and playing it as much as I can doesn't help either. I promise, I'll be good and play BC2 one more night and get back to my build :D

Hopely, next update will have H50 bracket mounted and case painted at least.

Yea - im on many forums and am a mod on overclock.net even....
whats another :D

i still have a little work to do on mine - window and need to get some of those enzotech heatsinks onto the mosfets on the underside of my mobo - done the ones on the top.
My problem is that the H50 backplate covers them - so i will have to cut out one side of the backplate - anyone see a problem with that?

I'll keep an eye on this thread too - if your on any other forums i can give yo ua link to my worklog also (ocn, ocau, i4memory, overclockerstech, are my most visited sites)

Also - what sort of overclock you got/expecting out of your cpu

im running the i7 860 so i have a lot more load on my mobo so im not expecting any major overclocking unlike in the past (Q6600 @ 50% 24/7 etc in the past)

ATM - the only thing thats not running stock is my ram - its at 1333 cas 6 (stock is 2000mhz cas 9 - aka overkill but i got them cheap)

Last edited:
Max safe OC for my motherboard is 3.4GHz for i5 750 I believe. I had Q6600 that did more than 3.6GHz too. :)

Yea - im on many forums and am a mod on overclock.net even....
whats another :D

i still have a little work to do on mine - window and need to get some of those enzotech heatsinks onto the mosfets on the underside of my mobo - done the ones on the top.
My problem is that the H50 backplate covers them - so i will have to cut out one side of the backplate - anyone see a problem with that?

I'll keep an eye on this thread too - if your on any other forums i can give yo ua link to my worklog also (ocn, ocau, i4memory, overclockerstech, are my most visited sites)

Also - what sort of overclock you got/expecting out of your cpu

im running the i7 860 so i have a lot more load on my mobo so im not expecting any major overclocking unlike in the past (Q6600 @ 50% 24/7 etc in the past)

ATM - the only thing thats not running stock is my ram - its at 1333 cas 6 (stock is 2000mhz cas 9 - aka overkill but i got them cheap)

hmm - where you find that figure of 3.4?
my 860 is alot more load than a 750, so i was thinking anything > 3.2ghz would be bonus for mine
3.6ghz would be nice

This is where I first saw OC capability of my board which might be different than yours.
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/28012-dfi-lanparty-mi-p55-t36-mini-itx-living-review.html

Basically, because of MITX form factor, it lacks OC capabilty(board space issue). My board can't handle(you could but taking chance of burning VRM) more than 170bclk and you have to have adequate cooling for VRM too.

For you, 3.2GHz might be possible given you have BIOS options to do so with enough cooling but might want to google it little bit. Even if your board have OC capability, 3.6GHz is pushing it.

hmm - where you find that figure of 3.4?
my 860 is alot more load than a 750, so i was thinking anything > 3.2ghz would be bonus for mine
3.6ghz would be nice

ive read that thread through a few times in the past....

i believe that the 2 boards have a similar mosfet setup - bu the DFI has digital ones (so slightly better quality)

i got some mosfet heatsinks - enzotech MOS-C1's
have installed them onto the top mosfets - but the rear ones will be interesting....

1) they are too tall - need to trim them a bit
2) the H50 backplate half covers them - so will have to hack it up - that should be fine somewhat still yea?
3) the HD5850 is having all sorts of issues - so i think i'll rma it also.

Also - i was thinking of using my dead HD4870s fan for some motherboard cooling - to get some air circulating under the mobo - but to do this i will need to trim the fined part of the fan to make it fit under the fan on the H50 - if i cut them all to the same size - the weight distribution should still be fine nad thus shouldnt affect the fan should it?

still waiting on the fan controller also.

1. You don't have to cut them. I thought about cutting it first too but look at this from same site.
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/28012-dfi-lanparty-mi-p55-t36-mini-itx-living-review-23.html

2. You might want to find out more but I think it should be OK. It's not even metal backplate for 1156 and I think it's there just to screw it down rather than supporting it to prevent mobo flex.

As far as HD4870 fan, it shouldn't matter as long as you don't mess around with fin. But I would rather use actual fan though. I'm thinking about placing either regular 120mm fan or one of those slim one from Scythe.

I'm still thinking about to get fan controller or not but if I do, it will be right below PSU in back.

For VRMs on back side, I thought about cutting bottom of SG06 where VRMs are and put small fan there but I'm leaning towards just drill hole there. I'll set my H50 as exhaust where as most would do intake. H50 should handle more than enough for 3.4GHz OC even it's set as exhaust and one benefit is that it won't dump heat back to the case heating up all other parts. This way it draws in cool air form any opening including from bottom to cool VRM(Hopely)

ive read that thread through a few times in the past....

i believe that the 2 boards have a similar mosfet setup - bu the DFI has digital ones (so slightly better quality)

i got some mosfet heatsinks - enzotech MOS-C1's
have installed them onto the top mosfets - but the rear ones will be interesting....

1) they are too tall - need to trim them a bit
2) the H50 backplate half covers them - so will have to hack it up - that should be fine somewhat still yea?
3) the HD5850 is having all sorts of issues - so i think i'll rma it also.

Also - i was thinking of using my dead HD4870s fan for some motherboard cooling - to get some air circulating under the mobo - but to do this i will need to trim the fined part of the fan to make it fit under the fan on the H50 - if i cut them all to the same size - the weight distribution should still be fine nad thus shouldnt affect the fan should it?

still waiting on the fan controller also.

bending them should prove to be hard also....

you have a pic of yours mounted?

the backplate looks to be just a thing to screw into - vs like the metal backplate of my TRUE which provides a bracing point for the TRUE's weight.

my H50 is set as exhaust - goes:
Front < H50 Rad < 120*25mm shroud < 120*38mm fan

this setup works - but its still la little loud as the 24pin fan goes right across the fans intake - infact the clip on the 24pin connector is touching the fan.

i was going to use the 4870's fan as its a squirrelcage fan, such that it wont take up much room and most of its output will go under the mobo.
i would need to shorten the fins a little as they will spin partially under the fan on the H50 - the central hub of the fan is fine as it wont be under the h50s fan.

I have not mounted mine yet. I want to find time to record temp before VRM and chipset heatsink and afterwards to see how much of difference it makes. I thought about placing Thermalright one on chipset but both regular one and SLI(which I have both) won't work because where they sit and height. I think the one from Xigmatek will work but I won't spend extra money on that. I'll try my old blue Zalman which is much taller than stock one and see if that makes any difference.

You seem to use yours as intake if that's the case. It looks like yours is mounted in front and fan is sucking in air in to the case. Mine will be same way except that it will be pushing out hot air to front so hot air does dump back in to case heating up graphics card and motherboard.

As far as your fan goes, maybe still use shroud but use 25mm fan? While you are at it, use quiet and low speed one. Maybe YL? I have couple of those and many others and I know low speed YL works good with radiator. Also, it always seems to me that when fan is pulling air out from heatsink/radiator, it makes more noise/turbulance than fan place to push air to heatsink which is another reason why I plan to use mine as exhaust.

bending them should prove to be hard also....

you have a pic of yours mounted?

the backplate looks to be just a thing to screw into - vs like the metal backplate of my TRUE which provides a bracing point for the TRUE's weight.

my H50 is set as exhaust - goes:
Front < H50 Rad < 120*25mm shroud < 120*38mm fan

this setup works - but its still la little loud as the 24pin fan goes right across the fans intake - infact the clip on the 24pin connector is touching the fan.

i was going to use the 4870's fan as its a squirrelcage fan, such that it wont take up much room and most of its output will go under the mobo.
i would need to shorten the fins a little as they will spin partially under the fan on the H50 - the central hub of the fan is fine as it wont be under the h50s fan.

mines set to exhaust...

Using a Scythe Ultra Kaze 2k rpm + the 120*25mm shroud.
pretty sure the noise is coming form the air moving over the cable thats across the front of the fan (the 24pin)

My other fan options (that i have here):
Scythe Slipstream 110cfm version (120*25mm)
Older Nocta fan (2 series old or so i think) 120*25mm
Pair of Sunon 120*38mm fans (not using them - both are 130cfm +)
Coolermaster fans that come stock with RC690 (aka cm690)
Lain li fans (stock ones i got with the Lian Li v2010b i have here)
Some generic (but *ok*) Blue LED 120*25mm fans

unplugging the front fan makes my system almost dead silent (except the HD5850s fan when playing games)

I might look at changing the fan (again) then :D

If that's the case, I'm assuming you are correct. If there's anything close to where air goes in to the fan, it would make turbulence. You can actually hear that by plugging a some what quiet(not sure if you can hear difference with high speed fan because it makes such loud noise) fan and hold it with one hand(of course while fan is running) and get your other hand close to intake of fan as if you are trying to cover it(don't get too close especially with high speed ones. It might chop your fingers off :)) You will notice that you will start to hear air turbulence and it gets louder closer you get to it. So, switching your fan to 25mm would give you little more space and help with that. But I think main issue with your case is fan itself. I've checked spec and it's 133.60 CFM, 3000 ±10% RPM and 45.90 dBA. I would never use that for my build. That's just too loud for me.

I would prefer YL but if you don't want to spend extra money, I would try Lian Li fan that you have. If it is anything close to one that came with my A05B, it should be fairly quiet.

Also, as I have mentioned MITX can't OC high so there's really no point of using high speed fans. Very low speed fan should still be able cool your CPU enough with H50.

mines set to exhaust...

Using a Scythe Ultra Kaze 2k rpm + the 120*25mm shroud.
pretty sure the noise is coming form the air moving over the cable thats across the front of the fan (the 24pin)

My other fan options (that i have here):
Scythe Slipstream 110cfm version (120*25mm)
Older Nocta fan (2 series old or so i think) 120*25mm
Pair of Sunon 120*38mm fans (not using them - both are 130cfm +)
Coolermaster fans that come stock with RC690 (aka cm690)
Lain li fans (stock ones i got with the Lian Li v2010b i have here)
Some generic (but *ok*) Blue LED 120*25mm fans

unplugging the front fan makes my system almost dead silent (except the HD5850s fan when playing games)

I might look at changing the fan (again) then :D

Yea - ive noticed that before with my TRUE - thats why i first made a shroud.

im using the Ultra Kaze under that - the 2k rpm one, not the 3k - its ~88cfm i believe.
i'll see about using my nocta maybe - as they are renowned for being silent....and this is ~1500 rpm max from memory

well thats tomorrows job - maybe the bottom mosfets also.

i dont think that cutting the H50s back plate would be heats of an issue do you?
like i said - the TRUE's is all metal, vs this is plastic - i tihnk its just a way they made of retention to best the STUPID push pins.

if i need to cut it - it is the "thinner" arm of the h50s bracket.

I would cut it if that's what I have to do but first, I would hold off on that and see what temp you get. If it doesn't go up high, don't even bother placing heatsink on it. :)

well my mobo doesnt have a sensor for the mosfets (or anything actually other than cpu....)

anyhow - i just opened prime, let it go for a bit (got to 70c with the H50 passive :p
reached in and touched the heatsink on the mosfets on the topside- and well i added to the burn i got yesterday from the frying pan.....

it was that dam hot

maybe a trade is the go - 860 > 750 with someone local.....

Running Prime passively and got 70c? I think that's great temp! Imagine what very low speed fan that is almost silent can do especially with fan controller to quiet down further! :)

One thing it makes me worried about heatsink on back of mobo is that not like on top where it just sits on chip, on bottom it would hang on to chip. Over time, it could fall off although it never happened to me.

As far as 860 or 750, I got 750 because only difference between them that I could see was HT. It actually worked out for me as DFI BIOS can't undervolt or drop vCore with 860 other than stock vCore but 750 can with newer BIOS. Check your BIOS and see if you can drop vCore although I doubt it with Zotac.

well that was 70c after ~2min
passive idle = <45c

pretty sure i have some bios voltage options - i'll go check

EDIT:
running mine undervolted now :p @ -0.1v

i have the following:

-0.1v
-0.075v
-0.05v
-0.025v
normal
up to +0.2v

this is for CPU voltage

also - longer prime test......
temps passive are ~low 80s now lol (well - 78c now nad very slowly climbing)

Last edited:
still - thats passive running prime.....

i think the 750 is the go then - would make it a bit easier on me.....

maybe i'll try disabling HT and see how hot it gets then - as 860 without HT = 750 afaik

anyhow - im off to bed - 2:27am here

.......AND YOU THOUGHT THIS PROJECT WAS DEAD!!!! :D

Well, I'm back. kinda sorta....:D

Many things took priority over this project so this project went hibernate for while. Now, I'm trying to get this going again before all parts become ancient history parts(well, it kinda is now after how many months now? 10 months for most of parts and some are older since I bought parts for this project :()

Once again, parts list is updated(It had to be :) it's been couple of months already) 2 things I have changed my mind are PSU and RAM.

First, reason for PSU is that I didn't want to run out of options with graphics card later because of 450w PSU. I think I'll probably start another build by the time I'll upgrade my graphics card but I wanted to have option open especially that I'm going to paint inside of the case. I didn't want to paint everything and start cutting again and make it messy. So, I'm back to my original plan and going to use Corsair HX620. LOOK FOR MY SST-ST45SF SALE SOON :(

I already went beyond point of no return. :) 1/3 of back of my case is gone :) I used nibbler and made opening for PSU bracket extender. This will be great if it works out because I won't be cutting top cover at all to mount PSU bracket extender. This makes it very tight fit but cutting parts like top cover which is visible was last thing I wanted to do. To make this work if it works, I won't be mounting the extender outside but from inside.

If this mod fails, I'll take my frustration of last 10 months and crush the case! :) and then I guess I'll start selling other stuff again and get FT03 when it comes out.

As far as RAM goes, one thing I didn't like about MITX was that I couldn't have more than 4GB(financially limited) I didn't want to spend like $400+ for 2x4GB to make it 8GB. Especially thinking about DDR2 days where I got 4x2GB for $100. Well, I was browsing around and came across thread talking about 2x4GB and how some of them are cheap now. One of Ripjaws were pretty cheap enough for me to sell my ECO(again, used it once and sold it :( I've got to stop this) and get 2x4GB Ripjaws. I should be getting it either today or tomorrow.

Here is new parts list:

CPU: Intel i5 750
Motherboard: DFI Mini-ITX MI P55-T36
Heatsink: Corsair H50
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Graphics Card: *MSI GTX260
HDD: 160GB 2.5" WD Scorpio Black
PSU: *Corsair HX620 /w NZXT PSU Extender
Misc. Heatsink: *Enzotech BMR-C1, * MOS-C1 and *Zalman ZM-NB47J
Case: Silverstone SG06
And some other small parts.

One&#8217;s with * are the parts that I have from my previous builds and all others are new.

Now, couple of things on my to-do list in order:

1. De-rivet 2 rivets on back of the case near PSU.
2. Dremel/file PSU bracket extender so that it sits on side frame bar.
3. Make/find place to rivet top right of PSU bracket extender.
4. Decide to rivet bottom of PSU bracket extender or not.
5. Make support for bottom of PSU bracket extender from side panel of server case that I have used before.
6. Make PSU support using existing Silverston SFX PSU support.
7. Make vent on bottom of the case below where mosfets are.
8. Install case feet.

Those are my priorities for now. After that, I'll start painting my case and hope it doesn't get too cold to paint. :)

Last edited:
Small update with no picture.

I was going to post couple of pictures that I took like 2 months back but I was too tire to post it. Maybe I'll do it tonight.

Also, I tried to de-rivet but I decided to hold off. The ways it's riveted is very close to side bar and I wasn't sure one that my brother has is narrow enough to rivet back. or even ones from Home Depot are narrow enough to rivet. I was thinking about waiting till weekend to go to my brother's house(not much freedom to go anytime I want with kids and wife home :() but good thing that my parents will visit tonight to see my kids and they bring that with them.

I'll try to post some picture of things I did before and try rivet to see if it work out tonight.

I didn't have time to do anything last night. :( I started to make burgers as soon as I got home and cook other stuff till 8pm and started to wash my car for another 2 hours. Needless to say, I didn't want to work on this project after that.

Here's odd thing about the RAM that I've ordered from Newegg that was shipped from NJ to PA. WHY IS IN MD NOW???

Destination MALVERN,PA 19355-2447
Weight 0.25000
Date Time Location Details
8/29/2010 1:31 PM , , US Shipment Data Received
8/30/2010 11:38 PM RUTHERFORD, NJ, RUTHERFORD, NJ, US Arrived at Delivery Terminal
8/31/2010 8:43 AM RUTHERFORD, NJ, RUTHERFORD, NJ, US Departed from Terminal
9/1/2010 3:40 AM ELKRIDGE, MD, ELKRIDGE, MD, US Arrived at Delivery Terminal

This doesn't make any sense. I usually get things from Newegg next day if it was shipped from NJ warehouse but why did this end up in MD? :(

Finally some photo update. These aren't something that I took recently but about 2-3 months ago and never had chance to upload.

Here are some shots of front plate that can accommodate larger graphics card, H50 and still allows bracket for optical drive. I didn't use rivet as I have originally planned but just used JB weld. Combination of that and thicker plate made front more solid where as it was some what flexible before even before the cut.(Don't mind scratches, it's just paint that got scratched which I'm going to sand it and repaint it.)
DSC08636.jpg
DSC08645.jpg

Test fit of H50. Notice enough room between top of H50 and opening for optical drive bracket. It just fits.
DSC08650.jpg
DSC08652.jpg
DSC08651.jpg
DSC08640.jpg
DSC08639.jpg

Next photo update will be cut that I made for NZXT PSU bracket extender. :D

Another picture update.

Following were what I planned to do and completed so far but I realized I can't do some of them as I worked on it.
1. De-rivet 2 rivets on back of the case near PSU.
2. Dremel/file PSU bracket extender so that it sits on side frame bar.
3. Make/find place to rivet top right of PSU bracket extender.

I realized that I can't de-rivet and rivet it again because it's too close to PSU extender. I got lucky that I forgot to bring drill bits so I started cutting first to realize that instead of de-rivet and realize afterwards. Anyways here are some pictures.

Opening for PSU extender. Seems I've cut out almost half of back side. ) I still have more filing to do but it's almost there.
DSC08835.jpg
DSC08834.jpg
DSC08833.jpg

With PSU extender test fit. Just like the opening for it, I still have little more filing and cut to do with PSU extender.
DSC08832.jpg
DSC08830.jpg
DSC08828.jpg
DSC08827.jpg
DSC08826.jpg

Basically due to what I have found out, I've decided not to rivet PSU extender but to use JB weld. Next update should be fully mounted PSU extender. If I can make opening for bottom vent, that will be nice bonus. :D

Last edited:
Little update without picture.

I made support for PSU bracket extender. It was easy at the end but made mistake and wasted time and my hand hurts still.

I started out snipping side panel of server case that I used to make front plate. I figured why not but after spending some time snipping with metal snip, it started to hurt my hand but I've managed to finish. Then I started to hammer edges since it wasn't straight. OK, with everything done, I've tried to bend it 90' with hand break(my friends have commercial bending machine but didn't feel like driving there) but I couldn't get it get it sharp 90' but instead it ended up being round. I figured that thick side panel+hand break+small piece=fail.

I almost thought about just using it and fill gap with JB weld but I figured if I'm attaching it permanently, I better get it done right. So trashcan it goes. :(

The next try was old whitebox that I inherited from my previous work. It has one of those thin metal so case flexes. But this would be perfect for what I needed so I started to snip it. It also hurted my hand especially after snipping that thick server case but not as bad as server case side panel. Hammered edges again to get it as straight as possible and used hand break again. Alright it's better than the other one and much sharper 90' but not as sharp as I wanted. Oh well, it ain't getting better than this with what I have I thought.

Next piece was one for top. This time I figured why don't I use one that already has 90' bend. One that I picked was back of side panel. It has good 90' bend so I started snip that. Started hammering edges and this was the best one out of all the ones I made so far. Looking at that sharp 90', now I couldn't go with lower support that I've made.

Looking for right parts, I found 5 1/4 drive cover from front of case. You know, one of those stamped metal piece that you have to twist and break off. Nice thing about this was that it has holes in center which weakens a bit. This would make perfect to use hand break to make 90' bend! So I did lower support first and what do you know! Perfect(Well, I wish it's 1/8" wider but it's close enough) I don't even have to cut anything! Just bend that piece and it was perfect fit! I just have to file edges to make it smooth but it fits PSU bracket extender perfectly and fits back of the case perfectly. It made me to think why did I waste all this time and made my hand work out?

Knowing it fits nicely, I did same with top support. Only difference is that I need to use nibbler to cut out the part that will be JB welded to frame. But this way is better since edges are straight not like when I use snip.

What I did in couple of hours, I've manage to find and finish it in like a minute. :( Sucks but that's life I guess.

I'll try to take some shots and post them later.

WooHoo! GA-H55N-USB3 delivered!(30 minutes after I left home to check to see if it was there during my lunch break :() Just give it little time before I put it up for sale again like my DFI even without using it!(Well, this is a joke and was making fun of myself so don't expect it. Hopely...) I'll try to take picture of RAM, PSU bracket extender support and new mobo if I can find time(Sucks to be married with kids when it comes to things like this)

Another update without picture.

I tried to start taking picture and set up mobo to test along with RAM day before yesterday. Guess what happens, I was taking shower and my wife was preparing dinner. I hear my son starts to cry really loud so I went down. My wife tells me that he was lying down on the floor and she grabbed his hand to get him up. I checked to see if he broke any bones(what are chance of that?) but looks ok. I asked to move his arm but he doesn't want to but I saw him move little bit. So, I figured nothing was dislocated but he won't stop crying. My wife ended up taking him to doctor and found out he dislocated his elbow??? I couldn't understand how it happen. It not like my wife intentionally pulled him arm hard to pop it out or anything but gentle pull to help him get up. Oh well, his elbow must have been in weird position that could have happened. So we have to watch him carefully for next 2 weeks which tends to easily pop out again during that time. Doctor said it could still happen till kids are 5 yrs old so any parent out there with kids under 5, please be careful.

Back to my build, because of what happened I couldn't/didn't feel like working on my PC that day. But I found myself about 2 hours to work on it last night(It's really not 2 hours but more like 1 hour because my wife always asks me some things and asks to do other things which drives me nuts :) I think any married man will agree on that :))

I've taken some picture of mobo with RAM, cut and filed backplate of H50(one that I already cut and filed for my previous DFI) and took picture of it, mounted H50, HDD, GTX260. It's all in my old Q-Pack(One of many this project's older sibling that I never got to finish) I'll try to Install OS tonight and run memtest and hopely have some time to OC day after. Hopely, I will have some time to upload pictures I've taken too since any threads are boring without pictures. :)

As far as things I still have to do that I can think of:

1. Install Windows 7 with stock speed.
2. Run Memtest and check RAM.
3. If stock speed passes P95 or IBT, install Enzotech MOS-C1 and Zalman ZM-NB47J
4. OC aiming for 3.8GHz and possibly 4GHz if it can handle.
5. File PSU bracket extender.
6. Mount PSU bracket extender.
7. Make vent for back side of mobo mosfet.
8. Paint case if weather permits and if not, it's next year. :(
9. Put everything in case, grab 6 pack and enjoy my new PC.

This are everything I can think of as far as things to do so hopely I'll get all done soon.

Here is new parts list:

CPU: Intel i5 750
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
Heatsink: Corsair H50
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Graphics Card: *MSI GTX260
HDD: 160GB 2.5" WD Scorpio Black
PSU: *Corsair HX620 /w NZXT PSU Extender
Misc. Heatsink: *Enzotech BMR-C1, * MOS-C1 and *Zalman ZM-NB47J
Case: Silverstone SG06
And some other small parts.

One&#8217;s with * are the parts that I have from my previous builds and all others are new.

To my surprise, I was able to squeeze in to run memtest and install Windows 7 Pro. Well, I actually just left it to run it by itself. Then later at night I tried to OC little to 3.4GHz which I was able to but failed every time. :( This was no problem with DFI. Then when I was about to call it a night and sleep, I checked out the other thread about H55N-USB3 with my iPad laying down on bed which had no information about what I was about to change. Then BAM it hits me, I didn't change memory multi! So I got up and turned my computer on and surely, it was set to something like 8 so I dropped it to the lowest. I'm back in business again! it boot up just fine!

So, thing I want to do tonight if I can find time, Install drivers, update BIOS to f5 from f2, install mosfet heatsink and install Zalman ZM-NB47J. Why Zalman ZM-NB47J? Because I bought it like 6 years ago and never used it! :( Just like TR HR-05 SLI and HR-05 SLI / IFX which are just sitting in drawer. :( Oh, also try to upload some pictures I've taken so far! ;)

Sorry for being lazy to upload pictures. Since I don't have access to pictures I've taken from work, I just googled parts I have and put it together to see what's going in to SG06.(I know it's lame :()
NEUNB.png

I did however, OCed mine to [email protected] and it boot in to Windows fine. I didn't tweak setting nor run P95 or IBT because I haven't put mosfet heatsinks yet. I also tried [email protected] but it BSoD shortly after booting in to WIndows. I might just have to increase vcore a little but I haven't really changed any other settings so it could be that.

Anyways, I'll see if I can either mount PSU extender bracket(YES! it's finished!) with JB weld or put on mesfet heatsink tonight. BTW, I think space between H50 pump and PSU is like 1/16" or 1/8". Yeah, pretty tight fit. I'm also trying to see if I can squeeze in a fan on mosfet for extra cooling.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD!!!! Somebody actually posted in my log!!!! :eek: I thought I was all alone talking to myself all these time!

:) Joke aside.

I'm not sure if you can get it from anywhere. Best bet might be contacting NZXT or SarverSystems who is a member here and is one who I actually bought mine from. When I got mine from him, I think he said he had total of 2-3 of them. This PSU bracket extender is off of NZXT Rogue which is discountinued.

Hope this helps.

can you link where you found that PSU extender ?

Finally picture update! I tried to get PSU extender bracket installed and take picture of that too but it turns out I forgot to file one crucial part. That is not even 1/4 in wide. :mad: Well, I have to start filing again when I can find time.

Anyways here are some shots.

Shot of RAM and GA-H55N-USB3 that I have received.
DSC08843.jpg

CPU, RAM installed on mobo.
DSC08858.jpg
DSC08856.jpg
DSC08855.jpg
DSC08853.jpg
DSC08847.jpg
DSC08846.jpg
DSC08844.jpg
DSC08864.jpg
DSC08863.jpg
DSC08860.jpg

H50 back plate that I had to cut which already had it's cut from DFI.
DSC08869.jpg
DSC08868.jpg
DSC08867.jpg

One that has cut on side is the side that goes next to mosfet.

I currently have everything in my old Q-Pack and since I can't mount PSU extender, I'll try to install mosfet heatsink and Zalman first.

I wanted to file rest of PSU extender but it's been raining almost none stop. Just to keep up with what I have to do and what to hold off for now, below are things I have to do:

1. Install Windows 7 with stock speed.
2. Run Memtest and check RAM.
3. If stock speed passes P95 or IBT, install Enzotech MOS-C1 and Zalman ZM-NB47J
4. OC aiming for 3.8GHz and possibly 4GHz if it can handle.
5. File PSU bracket extender.
6. Mount PSU bracket extender.
7. Make vent for back side of mobo mosfet.
8. Paint case if weather permits and if not, it's next year.
9. Put everything in case, grab 6 pack and enjoy my new PC.

Underlines one are ones I've completed and in red is one that I will hold off for now. I figured if it can survive with just heatsink on, not much of point to dremel, file etc.

I'll skip stock speed P95 test and just install mosfet heatsink and do it.

.......and 10 years later, Oh hey guys I just picked up my 48th new CPU! and I file little more! and yes! this project is still going after 10 years! :(

Seriously, I want to see this finish(it will never end but at least so that I can start using it)

Anyway, I had chance to file rest of PSU extender and stripped bottom and right side so I can apply JB weld. Also used sandpaper on back around PSU opening so JB weld bond better.

One problem though(yes, again) bottom right of right side only has about 1/16" or 1/8" for JB weld which I highly doubt it's going to hold. But I already made 90' metal piece that I'll JB weld from out side. The problem is it doesn't fit perfectly! Sure, I could just put it up little crooked but I've decided to wait till this weekend(wife said she didn't plan anything so hope I have entire Saturday to work on this project.) and make new one.

I'll that my rusted PSU extender, and process of mounting it this weekend.

WHAT? RUSTED PSU EXTENDER? you say? yes, I used sand paper to strip the paint for better bonding, washed it off with water and left it over night since I was tired. I looked at it next day and it looked like gold. I was pretty sure it wasn't brass or copper so I looked carefully and what I thought it was gold was actually rust. Some looked gold but you can tell other parts were just rusted. So, when I put this on, I'll sand it again, wipe it with alcohol and mount it right away before it starts to rust :)

P.S. I wish I have couple of days of free time uninterrupted. This whole thing could be finished in couple of days if not interrupted from start to finish.

No, sorry. :( My original plan was to go to my brother's house and make new bracket for side of PSU extender and JB weld whole thing on Saturday which ended up my wife telling me we are taking kids to the Sesame Place. Ok, fine I'll go to my brother's house after that and spend night there and finish everything by Sunday. We ended up coming back home around 10pm(went out for like 12 hours) and I was too exhausted to do anything. Sunday? I was still tired to do anything and just stayed home recovering(My bad hip, knees and flat feet holds me back from recovering fast :()

My mom is watching my son today because his daycare is closed today. I'm thinking about dropping her off and quickly make bracket so I can file it at home which I hated to do. Because only time I can file is at night time and I have to do it in the house. I hate metal dust in house especially with kids. :( I also have migraine since Saturday night and still have it so I might chicken out and just stay home.

I guess I'll find out tonight.

I ended up staying home. I'm seriously thinking about using side panel of old compaq case I've saved to make the bracket so I don't have to make trip to my brother's house.

The good news is that I need to work this coming weekend. Why is it good you ask? it's 7AM-7PM Saturday and Sunday. I don't have to go to the office but stay home and be on call. Basically do nothing and relax until someone calls for help. They will call first level first and if it doesn't get solve there, then first level will contact me so I think maybe there will be one call or so if not none at all(Yes! I still get overtime just relaxing :)) Also, there's my daughter's friend birthday party on Saturday so my wife will take kids out. I'll be home all by myself for at least couple of hours!!!! Hallelujah!(I'm not a believer but it sounds it fits in this case :))

I might be able to finally mount PSU extender. Maybe I'll have free time again next weekend and weather is nice so that I can paint it too. Now I'm asking too much :)

Back