Project: Pump Blew New One Too Big For Small Case Crap Another Case Mod Needed

ost

n00b
Hello,

So I have modded my Logisys case to house my 2 rads, the TT BigWater setup and the usual other stuff. Recently the BW pump decided to croak. So I bought the TT AquaBay M5 to get a new pump, but it's HUGE. Much to0 big for my current setup.

This project is my attempt at fitting the new huge pump into a case that works.

Reqs:
1. Drink lots of Samual Adams to enjoy thyself during case modding
2. Hold my 2 TT rads
3. Hold new super pump/res
4. Hold the rest of my junk (2HDs, Mobo, PS, DVD)
5. Have some airflow to the rads
6. Post to [H]F for the amusement of bored peeps

Here is a crappy pic of what the rig looks like right now. I did rip out some junk before I remembered to take a pic. ((Slightly modded for an additional 120 and the 2 rads))

No disassemble Johnny 5! Here is my junk after ripping it out.

Here is the concept for my new placement. Fans blow over mobo to rads. Pump and Rads are close to avoid super long lines. I will probably make the case out of wood as that I don't have metal laying around.

So I will update once I get moving on this. I have no idea what I am doing, so it should be fun.

Is ImageShack the best I can use to host pics, or is there better? Spanks!

Hello,

I had some time this weekend to get a little more done. I decided to use wood as that I had some 1x8 laying around in the garage. I stopped by HD and picked up some 2x18" plexi to use for a top. That pretty much decided the dimensions for my box.
I routered a lap for the bottom ½ ply and the top ¼ plexi. I wanted to keep the ends, but they were just too small (3/8) and broke off. I’ll have to fill in the space once I am done.

Here is my new box
http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/ostlers/045.jpg

Here is the mock up in the box
http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/ostlers/046.jpg

I spent the rest of my time figuring out where I needed to cut, and doing the marking. I tried to make the holes for my rads, but I realized my Jigsaw is a worthless POS. I might have to redo that piece. Once I get all the cuts done, I'll post a pic of the box without the parts.

Thanks for looking. If you have any ideas for me, let me know.

Hello,

So I got a 3 hour kitchen pass approved, and off to project PBNOTBFSCCACMN I went.

I measured and cut holes for pretty much everything. I realized after I cut that I don't have any switches to use! I looked at my donor case, but they are too case specific. I'll have to think of something..

Here is the latest pic. It shows the box with all the holes cut. Now to sand, find some switches and figure out how I want to mount the motherboard.

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/ostlers/057.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hello,

What a nice long weekend to work on this project. Here is what I accomplished.

1. Got the fan grill covers mounted
Aug2008042.jpg

2. Painted the grills
Aug2008064.jpg

3. Figured out my front switch placement
<need a pic>
4. Made a small 'window' for the power and HD LEDs
5. Made and installed brackets for the DVD, HDs and fan controller. I used some luan I had laying around. By far not the best material, but it is thin.
6. Made and installed the motherboard posts

Here is the latest status picture I have. (Sorry for the 90 clamp in the way)
Aug2008063.jpg

I have to figure out how to cover the holes for the rads (no clue on this one), find a placement for the fan controller and then its off to final sand/stain/poly.

Thanks for looking.

This is a slick project man, very inspiring. Most people would've just got a bigger case or smaller watercooling!

A new case would have cost money, and I would to have modded it anyways to fit what I have. The only thing I have bought so far has been the plexi. Everything else has been on hand.

Thanks for posting. At least there is someone that doesn't think I am crazy.

I was thinking about my problem of covering my rad holes with something and I spotted a wire basket in the office. Since it still had the tag on it, I figured it was fair game for me to steal (ninja). The wire mesh would be a decent cover for those rad fins.

Basket:
Sept2008002.jpg

Cut and fitted:
Sep4th002.jpg

After that I finished sanding and glued everything together. Then I hit a problem. I placed the plexi top on, and it doesnt fit! It seems it is a good 1/16 to 1/8 over on the sides. Since my openening is exactly 18x24 (with some gone from sanding), I am off. I must have not been square when I did the dry fit before I sanded/glued.

So now I have to decide if I want to router down the sides a little more, or sand the plexi down.

Crap.:mad:

Hello,

I decided to router down the plexi top, or rather high speed burning of plastic. (but it worked).

Here is a pic of the case put together. I stained and poly'd it. I also glued in the grills on either side.
Sep14044.jpg

Then it was off to assembly.

Fans in
Sep14045.jpg

Rads in
Sep14047.jpg

Getting closer
Sep14048.jpg

Almost there...
Sep14049.jpg

Done. I got the water pump hoses figured out, and some minor cable management done as well.
Sep14050.jpg

Sep14051.jpg

Still to do:
1. Balance out my blue lights. Maybe a cathode under the rads?
2. Mount the PCI cards to the back
3. Cut in a hole in the top plexi for an 80mm fan over the memory (still debating if I want to do this
4. Cable management
5. I used a small window of plexi for my HD and POW LEDs, but after seeing them in action I am not impressed. I think I will rethink that one.
6. I forgot how much I used front USB ports. That might be added as a to-do.

So here I am at 90% done. Thanks for looking.

Back