Project: Repositorium 1.0

The corvettes, that the Dallas cops have. maybe the chargers too but definately not a crown vic, they top out at 128mph i beleive.

It was a Crown Vic. Anyway, I plead not guilty and have a trial date set.

But back on topic, jtg1993, it's a floppy connection so that's a no go. I have the Slim ATAPI to SATA adapter made by Supermicro on the way. It was almost 50 bucks since I paid for 2 day shipping but it should be here Thursday I hope. I probably could have saved the 20 bucks on shipping since I have a SATA DVD drive right here that I'll be using today since the OS drive came in. It's just an 80GB 7200.7, nothing special, didn't need it to be.

And Ockie, maybe I'll die under a dirty 18 wheeler carrying a shipment of servers?

The adapter I got fit perfectly just nothing to plug it into.

And the bike goes waay faster than the server. Although I am posting this from the court house since Im trying to fight my speeding ticket. I mean really, what cop car can pace a street bike at 150mph? 1000 dollar ticket my ass!

This is what our cops cruise in:

CTS-V
2edtlso.jpg

XLR-V
4cbj6lz.jpg

Corvette Z06
Z06-Corvette-Police-3.jpg

Another C5 Z06
http://www.z06-corvette.com/Z06-Corvette-Police-4.jpg

C6
013.jpg

Plus a ton more. Sorry for the thread jack :)

LOL, I guess I could see one of those doing it but not a Crown Vic.

On topic, I just got Server 2003 R2 installed on it. I found that the Areca only has beta drivers for Server 2008, which I'd rather not run so no Server 2008 for me. Currently running Windows Update on it.

On topic, I just got Server 2003 R2 installed on it. I found that the Areca only has beta drivers for Server 2008, which I'd rather not run so no Server 2008 for me. Currently running Windows Update on it.

I think I am going to stay clear of 2k8 at home, will prolly be following it closely at work however.....

I created it in the BIOS just before that screenshot. I'll be going back and actually initializing it though. I chose the option to not initialize it just so I could see it's working. I did set up the same volume in the web interface and told it to background initialize but the drive wasn't showing itself to Windows. Is that normal? After an hour of waiting and it only getting to 10%, I stopped it.

I can't wait to get that 2GB stick to upgrade the cache on it. ~750MB average read on a RAID6 seems dang good. I should switch it over to a RAID0 just to bench it.

Damn thats fast, but my single drive is plenty fast for me getting 60MB/s average.

How did you manage to pull that off? With my 1280ML, I'm having a hard time going past 750mb/s, and my burst isn't any different.
Edit: RAID 0 eh? that explains it...mind posting a graph with RAID 5/6? I want to see how those ES.2 drives compare to the regular desktop ones.

How did you manage to pull that off? With my 1280ML, I'm having a hard time going past 750mb/s, and my burst isn't any different.
Edit: RAID 0 eh? that explains it...mind posting a graph with RAID 5/6? I want to see how those ES.2 drives compare to the regular desktop ones.

Here is raid 6, he posted it earlier.

Try the Vista drivers.

Also, I would recomend going 2003 route for a file server, you don't need to fork out all that cash to run 2008 for a file server, 2003 is more than adequate.

I'm going to chill for a long time on 2003 like I did with 2000 when it comes to the galaxy projects.

The thumbnail for that and the RAID 0 graph looked the same. :p
Still wonder how he got the burst speed so high though.

That looks about right.

I have free copies of 2008 and 2003, so nothing to worry about with that. But I'd rather stick with non-beta drivers, so 2003 it is. The box is at home now initializing the RAID 6 array. I started it about 11:30 or so last night and when I left for work this morning at 9:00 it was almost at 30%, so still got a bunch of time left on that.

The memory came in a few hours ago and I just got that installed. Had an annoying error where every time Windows loaded, I'd get a service failed to load message. It was from i8042prt. Turns out with this Intel motherboard, Server 2003 doesn't like not having a PS/2 keyboard/mouse connected. Quick edit to the reg fixed that.

And after almost 24 hours, the array is 57.8% initialized. Guess I got about another day of that remaining. Only 2 parts left and this build is done, the 2GB cache upgrade for the RAID card and the slim ATAPI to SATA adapter for the DVD drive. Oh, and the second quad-port NIC to come back from Intel.

The adapter I got fit perfectly just nothing to plug it into.

And the bike goes waay faster than the server. Although I am posting this from the court house since Im trying to fight my speeding ticket. I mean really, what cop car can pace a street bike at 150mph? 1000 dollar ticket my ass!

My best friends uncle is a sheriff in this county. I know for a fact, that the latest Crown Vics cut fuel off at 135mph. So he didn't pace anyone at 150mph. The local D.A.R.E unit has some cheesy 5.Slow with a lightbar and a bad paint job they love to brag on. They also have a C5 and C6. The new C6's were tested on the Autobahn and easily were tooling along at over 215 for several miles at a time with no issue. Though the fuel cuts off around 180ish I believe on the production models (thats NON-ZR1 models btw).

The 2GB stick for the RAID card came in today and just got it installed. The volume finally finished initializing about an hour ago. I just pulled a drive to test out the rebuild time on it and get a better feel for that, 1% took about 8 minutes so I'm looking at about 13 hours for a rebuild.

Oh, I've also been watching CPU usage and felt my Q6600 was somewhat over-kill for it, so I switched it out for an E6650. So, lost 2 cores and a few MHz but went from 1066 FSB to a 1333 FSB. CPU usage is staying at <20% even with the little bit of testing I've been doing with StarWind. Temps are better as well.

I'll try and pull together a final build list of all parts used soon.

Try the Vista drivers.

Also, I would recomend going 2003 route for a file server, you don't need to fork out all that cash to run 2008 for a file server, 2003 is more than adequate.

technet ftw

Final build parts:

Norco RPC-4020 - 4u Rackmount Server Case
Intel S3210SHLC 3210 Server Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz 1333MHz Processor
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 ECC CL5 Memory
2x Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad Port Low Profile Server Adaper
Antec TruePower Quattro 850 Power Supply
Areca ARC-1261ML 16-port PCI-Express x8 RAID Adapter
12x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1TB Hard Drive
Kingston 2GB (1x2GB) DDR2-667 ECC CL5 Memory for ARC-1261ML
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB Hard Drive (OS-Boot Drive)
Pioneer Slimline DVD-+R/RW Drive
Supermicro Adapter Slim CD/DVD ATAPI to SATA

Follow up screenshot while doing bandwidth testing. I took the box to work and pulled some data across to another server. That server has a 3-card team for a total of 3Gbps and also has 8 Cheetah 15K.5 300GB U320 drives in a RAID0. It pulled a steady 2,800Mbps (350MB/sec). That server is in production, otherwise I think for sure I would have a seen a full 3Gbps (375MB/sec) usage.

Follow up screenshot while doing bandwidth testing. I took the box to work and pulled some data across to another server. That server has a 3-card team for a total of 3Gbps and also has 8 Cheetah 15K.5 300GB U320 drives in a RAID0. It pulled a steady 2,800Mbps (350MB/sec). That server is in production, otherwise I think for sure I would have a seen a full 3Gbps (375MB/sec) usage.

I don't think you will see higher than 350. That is a very good number to have. Thats a 93%, very good number.

It's up and running just fine. I've got about 1TB of data sitting on for right now. I'm slowly moving more over. I'm now on the hunt for a home for it. I'm trying to find a good deal on a 25U APC rack. The one I'm looking at retails for around 950, but I really only feel like spending around 400-450 shipped.

That's one crazy setup...

And I thought my soon to be Dell Perc 5/i + (4) WD 1TB WD10EACS GP drive setup will be crazy!

How is iSCSI doing for you?

It's working great right now. I've got a Dell PE 1950 running ESXi connected to it running a couple of Server 2k8 and 2k3 VM's. Once I finally get around to RMA'ing that NIC that caught fire I'll put it into the 1950 and install Untangle there as well.

I also picked up a 42U APC NetShelter for it last week. The rails for the server haven't come yet so it's just sitting on top of the 1950. I'll post pics when I get it done and cleaned up more.

How is RocketDivision StarWind iSCSI Target working out for you in ESXi? Did you consider anything else?

It's working out ok. It's just the free version and it's not the best thing ever but it works well for what I need.

Back