Project: Rogue (NZXT SFF)

Can you get some higher resolution (1024x768+) pictures, because i want this as my background.

woooooo, looks sweet!

i like how tight it looks inside. you ask yourself "how can anything stay cool" and then you see the gigantic mount of fans on the top. the red radiator looks awesome and the front panel is sleek.

awesome work

Thanks man! Believe me, those fans will definitely move some air.

This is first work log ever that I've kept track of since start to finish. It also made me check thread everyday(some times every 15 minutes) hoping I get to see new pictures. You did great job and I thank you for all the hard work and bring pictures for our enjoyment! :)

Now I just to move my lazy a$$ and finish mine. lol hope it looks at least 1/99999 as good as yours lol. Nah, I'm going for more OEM look so.........:D

Thank you! Sometimes I think I might like OEM as well. Sure, modding is fun, but sometimes simple is nice...

SICK!!!...Like many, I have checked for updates multiple times a day (sometimes dozens)since the begining of this worklog. Just awesome work. One of the best I have ever seen.

I appreciate it. Thanks!

phenomenal work! i know many skip to the end to look for pics ... maybe you could post a final hardware spec list?

I'll post hardware specs a little later this morning, time permitting.

Before:
img3412ra7.jpg

You put a lot of work in there, I don't know what to say.

Wow, even I haven't seen that pic in a while. Crazy to think about where I started.

looking forward to seeing this in person. Beautiful work Craig.

Thanks Mark!

*claps hands together like a little boy* getting so close to being finished!

nice red shorts!

Hey, they are nice shorts, aren't they? :p

Wow :eek:

Indeed, bittersweet, but the way it is coming together is just amazing.

Not to jinx you on the last night, but any chance of replacing the LEDs on the DVD drives with red?

No chance of red LED's... at least not now. That would require surgery I don't have time for... ;)

i love your french manicure! :p

Are you a girl?

^ pretty sure it's his wife lending a helping hand (well, two). she's made an appearance in this thread before.

That is indeed the wife-to-be! Funny things is, I was just teasing her about being so particular about her nails...

so.. i know your not leaveing that led its stock color.. its screaming for red as well

Red would be nice... although the amber isn't bad...

wow very nice, probably one of the best I've seen.

Thank you!

Can you get some higher resolution (1024x768+) pictures, because i want this as my background.

I'll get higher res pics when I get a chance. I'll also put it on a decent background. I'm pressed for time now... give me about 2 weeks.

Well, as of this morning, the Rogue is packed up and ready to ship to San Jose... while I head to Mexico. As a sidenote, I built a custom box for shipping, and although the box adds some weight, the whole package is 103 pounds!! :eek:

Great work. Are you going to cool those HDDs, or are the rad-fans enough to keep them at an acceptable temp?

Well, as of this morning, the Rogue is packed up and ready to ship to San Jose... while I head to Mexico. As a sidenote, I built a custom box for shipping, and although the box adds some weight, the whole package is 103 pounds!! :eek:

Box mod? Do share :p

let us know what that thing weighs if/when you can! i'm really curious (specifically, i'm curious about whether it's more densely packed than solid lead :) ) depending on how you ship it, you might find out as a matter of course.

let us know what that thing weighs if/when you can! i'm really curious (specifically, i'm curious about whether it's more densely packed than solid lead :) ) depending on how you ship it, you might find out as a matter of course.

craigbru said:
I built a custom box for shipping, and although the box adds some weight, the whole package is 103 pounds!!

Close enough, even if the box is a wood crate we are talking 20 pounds max. So looking at at least 80lbs.

Kind of sad to see it end. but great work!

I've got my 400 watt soldering iron and a new spool of acid core solder --- I'm available to assist. This one's done. What's next?

Wow. Just wow.

Hopefully you win that Nvision 08 contest. I can't really imagine any other case that would just outright trumph yours. Good luck!

Trully awesome work.....Is there any other projects in mind you may want to do or is this it for you for a while?

This is truly one of the most impressive mods I have seen in a long time. I am inspired.

You're on the front page of the [H]|OCP!

Gratz, I love mods where people put huge amounts of effort in to make something extremely nice looking.

You should contact CPU magazine about getting this bad boy on a cover. This is definitely one of the best mods I've ever seen.

EDIT: I just read that the winner of NVision gets on the cover anyways...You'll win, no doubt! :)

It took me over 3hours to read this entire thread, every post not just yours from start to finish. I've enjoyed many of the work logs over the years on the [H] forums as well as others.

Although I've seen some more extensive modding with metal and other materials I have to say hands down this is probably my favorite so far. The sheer amount of time, quality craftsmanship and sheer attention to detail is amazing.

You mentioned that somethings aren't perfect, possibly off just by a hair, but honestly noone or nothing in this world is perfect though this mod is close imo. Considering everything else in life you have going on, doing this in spare time is worth while to you I'm sure and I'm very glad that you shared it with the pc community.

I wish I had the time, money and patience to complete something like this or anything remotely close. College loans totaling over $40k plus attending, work, a girl friend and family doesn't allow me much free time at the moment.

Maybe in about 5-10yrs I can get around to trying something on a smaller scale.

I look forward to future pics after you're back from Nvision and good luck on winning.

You're definitely an amazing talent and thanks again.

page 1 to here in about 2 hours, I'm impressed, completely impressed. Not only with the idea's and execution, but the attention to detail and the want to "go back" and add those details. As AOM stated there may be other case mods, but I personally place the Rogue at the top due to it's purpose and being built around a purpose, not to mimic something already established but to break new ground.

My hat is off to you and your unwillingness to shortchange the effort,
z

The Rogue looks awesome craig. I still have your top from Losias unmolested sitting here. Looks to pretty to touch. Good luck at Nvision.

I spent several hours reading through this tread, and it was worth it. This was absolutely amazing. Congratulations on finishing it.

Great work man, this is the coolest mod I've ever seen.

Dang though, my new rig isn't nearly as cool now as it was last week...

Criag that is a freaking awesome case. I have watched this and your other mods as well and they will continually inspire me to do better on mine. I hope you win at nvision.

peta328? do you belong to PETA - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals?

or do you belong to PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals?

Simply put, I am dumbfounded, and having firsthand knowledge of what it takes to make pieces that nice and getting it all to work together that nice, requires some insane amount of attention to detail and being able to damn near be precognitive when ordering and designing a case of this magnitude.

Hats of to you bro, I have been doing CAD designs for nearly 2 decades and let me tell you, I would hate to try and duplicate what you have in there on screen.

Though I haven't had a case mod project in nearly 10 years, you have essentially relit a fire that has laid dormant inside for so long. I am in love with your case, but now I am searching for something similar but of course different, no sense in doing what has already been done, and for that matter so amazingly. With the amazing prices nowadays on computer hardware, it's foolish not to venture into new rig buildings.

That said... What do you do for a living???

I was in construction for about 8 years and did a ton of work in california, and let me tell you, you guys did quite a nice job, nothing shabby down in that basement. I noticed at least one fellar helpin you out, so I know you probably have a few construction buddies.

The sheer amount of resources accounted for within the computer alone is quite vast... totally disregarding the basement finishing.... so I'm either guessing You are in construction, or software, possibly even some kind of technician..... Which is it??? lol

Anyways, I am actually in North Carolina, and would love to see this thing in person, let us know where you will be visiting LANs at ... I am sure you will have a healthy following!!!

Sorry for long post, but after spending several hours going through this whole worklog, I had a lot on my mind lol...

Great work, and man, make sure you take care of the lady and childrens, never forget that a computer can be replaced but the time with your loved ones is irreplaceable and you can always come back to a computer later, not the same with a wife.... Sadly, experience talking here... :rolleyes:

Regardless, Keep up the amazing work and Good luck with your rig winning!!! ;):D

Criag that is a freaking awesome case. I have watched this and your other mods as well and they will continually inspire me to do better on mine. I hope you win at nvision.

peta328? do you belong to PETA - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals?

or do you belong to PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals?

Neither my real name is Peter, a friend of mine called me Peta instead of Peter so yeah thats where I got it from. No relations to any organization.

Congrats on finishing it up Craig, and good luck at NVision, and we all hope the honeymoon went well.

LOL, I want to see pics of the box now since you modded it ;)

I'll get pics of the bx when it arrives back home. It was more than enough to protect the Rogue during shipping. It arrived in one piece, and fired right up.

Great work. Are you going to cool those HDDs, or are the rad-fans enough to keep them at an acceptable temp?

The HD's remain fairly cool. Having the fans so close, keeps a fair amount of air flowing around them.

Box mod? Do share :p

Coming man!

Close enough, even if the box is a wood crate we are talking 20 pounds max. So looking at at least 80lbs.

Kind of sad to see it end. but great work!

I'll weight the Rogue by itself next week. It's a little deceiving until you go to move it. You really have no idea....

I've got my 400 watt soldering iron and a new spool of acid core solder --- I'm available to assist. This one's done. What's next?

Thanks for the offer! I've been sketching out ideas for the next mod. Unless I get some custom requests before I start, my next rig will be an absolute mind blower. I'll draw off of my experience with this case, and take it even farther. My trademark style seems to be small size, with incredible power, and LCD screens are a must. It's start is a few months off though, so I hope you guys can hold out.

this is my favorite mod i've ever seen. The Rogue is amazing craig

Thanks man!

=o lol craig ur case mods have force me to try my hand at it someday.

Hey, if you feel like modding something after seeing this... then I've done my job!

Wow. Just wow.

Hopefully you win that Nvision 08 contest. I can't really imagine any other case that would just outright trumph yours. Good luck!

Thanks for the support man!

Hey wait a minute there, lol
(Craigs comp IS pretty dam nice)

Lol. Thanks Mark. You better plan on making it to the next one. I'm pulling for you!

Trully awesome work.....Is there any other projects in mind you may want to do or is this it for you for a while?

I've got big plans my man!

This is truly one of the most impressive mods I have seen in a long time. I am inspired.

Thanks! Go build something!

You're on the front page of the [H]|OCP!

Gratz, I love mods where people put huge amounts of effort in to make something extremely nice looking.

Awesome! Thanks [H]!

You should contact CPU magazine about getting this bad boy on a cover. This is definitely one of the best mods I've ever seen.

EDIT: I just read that the winner of NVision gets on the cover anyways...You'll win, no doubt! :)

Simply fantastic, Craig. :D

I appreciate it guys. It's been one hell of a journey...

Dude, front page of [H] - Congrats!

That's the second front page! I have to get to 3! :D

It took me over 3hours to read this entire thread, every post not just yours from start to finish. I've enjoyed many of the work logs over the years on the [H] forums as well as others.

Although I've seen some more extensive modding with metal and other materials I have to say hands down this is probably my favorite so far. The sheer amount of time, quality craftsmanship and sheer attention to detail is amazing.

You mentioned that somethings aren't perfect, possibly off just by a hair, but honestly noone or nothing in this world is perfect though this mod is close imo. Considering everything else in life you have going on, doing this in spare time is worth while to you I'm sure and I'm very glad that you shared it with the pc community.

I wish I had the time, money and patience to complete something like this or anything remotely close. College loans totaling over $40k plus attending, work, a girl friend and family doesn't allow me much free time at the moment.

Maybe in about 5-10yrs I can get around to trying something on a smaller scale.

I look forward to future pics after you're back from Nvision and good luck on winning.

You're definitely an amazing talent and thanks again.

page 1 to here in about 2 hours, I'm impressed, completely impressed. Not only with the idea's and execution, but the attention to detail and the want to "go back" and add those details. As AOM stated there may be other case mods, but I personally place the Rogue at the top due to it's purpose and being built around a purpose, not to mimic something already established but to break new ground.

My hat is off to you and your unwillingness to shortchange the effort,
z

Thanks to the both of you. I try to push the limit of what defines a computer. I don't add 'flash' just for the hell of it. I want it to have a purpose if possible. I engineer first, then worry about aesthetics after. If I plan well enough, I can get both at the same time. I don't have a large budget, and I don't have a lot of tools, so I have to improvise a lot. I've gone through a few Dremels on this project. So, I guess what I'm saying, is that anyone can do this as long as you've got a great idea!

The Rogue looks awesome craig. I still have your top from Losias unmolested sitting here. Looks to pretty to touch. Good luck at Nvision.

+1 that's awesome!

Very sick case.

I spent several hours reading through this tread, and it was worth it. This was absolutely amazing. Congratulations on finishing it.

Great work man, this is the coolest mod I've ever seen.

Dang though, my new rig isn't nearly as cool now as it was last week...

Thanks for the kinds words guys. I really appreciate it!

I wish you luck in winning the nvision contest, I was watching a youtube video and I spotted the Rogue. Your case is at 5 minutes 13 seconds in the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6RK9mK82L8

Thanks for the heads up!

Simply put, I am dumbfounded, and having firsthand knowledge of what it takes to make pieces that nice and getting it all to work together that nice, requires some insane amount of attention to detail and being able to damn near be precognitive when ordering and designing a case of this magnitude.

Hats of to you bro, I have been doing CAD designs for nearly 2 decades and let me tell you, I would hate to try and duplicate what you have in there on screen.

Though I haven't had a case mod project in nearly 10 years, you have essentially relit a fire that has laid dormant inside for so long. I am in love with your case, but now I am searching for something similar but of course different, no sense in doing what has already been done, and for that matter so amazingly. With the amazing prices nowadays on computer hardware, it's foolish not to venture into new rig buildings.

That said... What do you do for a living???

I was in construction for about 8 years and did a ton of work in california, and let me tell you, you guys did quite a nice job, nothing shabby down in that basement. I noticed at least one fellar helpin you out, so I know you probably have a few construction buddies.

The sheer amount of resources accounted for within the computer alone is quite vast... totally disregarding the basement finishing.... so I'm either guessing You are in construction, or software, possibly even some kind of technician..... Which is it??? lol

Anyways, I am actually in North Carolina, and would love to see this thing in person, let us know where you will be visiting LANs at ... I am sure you will have a healthy following!!!

Sorry for long post, but after spending several hours going through this whole worklog, I had a lot on my mind lol...

Great work, and man, make sure you take care of the lady and childrens, never forget that a computer can be replaced but the time with your loved ones is irreplaceable and you can always come back to a computer later, not the same with a wife.... Sadly, experience talking here... :rolleyes:

Regardless, Keep up the amazing work and Good luck with your rig winning!!! ;):D

Thanks man! Believe it or not, my real job has nothing to do with computers. I'm a production scheduler at a manufacturing plant. That being said, attention to detail and order are the biggest parts of my job.

I've always been in to computers and technology. I grew up with a dad that was a farmer and carpenter (that's who you see in the pics.) I've always been a hands on guy. If there's something to be done. I just do it myself. It's the best way to learn, and the only way you'll ever get good at something.

This is only a hobby right now, but luckily the wife is very understanding. It was a bit of a stretch to get the rig done in time, lots of long hours... I'm enjoying a little time off now...

Congrats on finishing it up Craig, and good luck at NVision, and we all hope the honeymoon went well.

Thanks! The honeymoon was great. The resort we stayed at was awesome, and it was an experience we won't forget. I'll post up a few pics when I have more time.

So, how did Nvision go? Well, I ended up a second place winner... I didn't really know how I would do, but I like anyone, I was hoping for a first place prize. The winner was a great case, but it was a little conservative for my tastes... I really thought if I lost to anyone, it would be Boddaker's awesome Battlestar Galactica mod. All in all, it was a great experience though. They put on a great show!

Don't think I could ever go as far with wiring/electronics or cram as much stuff into a system as you have, very nice system.

Back