Project SmartDesk (scratch build)

pituca292

n00b
Guys, first I want to say that I don't know certainly if I should post it here or in the WorkLog session and I'm sorry for some writting errors, it happens because English is not my primary language.
I will buy a new PC and I decided to mount my casemod, because if I mount a "normal" PC, I would have some problems with cables and organization.
So I saw some mods over the internet and I have some ideas to create my own mod, it will be an "extension" of my desk and will fit perfectly between my desk and my wardrobe.
Here how it should be:

picture.php

And I made a 3D model:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I also made a blog to post all the pictures and worklog: http://projetosmartdesk.blogspot.com/ (link for it in english: http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://projetosmartdesk.blogspot.com/&langpair=pt|en&en=pt&en=UTF8)

Now I need some tips:
  • I want to put lights on it and I intend to put a UV cathode at the "background" and put some more (4-6) blue LEDs "spread" in the case or do the opposite, blue cathode and UV LEDs. Will it be cool? What is better?
  • I will make it by wood, but I don't know what color to paint it. I thought in a "simple" color like black or white, but white in the UV will be purple, so I think it will turn black, perhaps with something blue as well. What do you think?

So, its this!

I love scratch builds, I still want to go all-out and build something completely from scratch but I keep running into a couple of problems. I will highlight those since I don't see where you may have addressed them in your plans:

1) Where to mount the power and reset buttons. Seems like an easy thing to decide, but it can mess with the overall asthetic of your case.

2) Where/how to mount the CD/DVD drive. I'm sure at some point you may need to pop a CD or DVD into your system, and for me having a large flat area made trying to cut out a slot for a CD drive a daunting proposition.

I also have some questions regarding your proposal here:

3) Why do you have the back/bottom section? Seems like you have it set up as a pass-through box with fans, but there doesn't seem to be any good reason to have fans in there.

4) Do you need your fans to exhaust from the top? If not I would recommend having them exhaust through the rear near the top. I used to have top-mounted fans but they have an ability to let dust/crap fall through them when the computer is powered down.

Now regarding your questions -

5) I think putting both UV and blue lights the effects would somewhat cancel each other out, I would pick one or the other. Blue if you just want it to light up without buying specific UV hardware, but UV stuff does look kinda cool.

6) Overall color I think should depend on your materials (type of wood) and skills. I love the look of natural wood so that would be my first choice, just stain and finish it properly.

I love scratch builds, I still want to go all-out and build something completely from scratch but I keep running into a couple of problems. I will highlight those since I don't see where you may have addressed them in your plans:

1) Where to mount the power and reset buttons. Seems like an easy thing to decide, but it can mess with the overall asthetic of your case.

2) Where/how to mount the CD/DVD drive. I'm sure at some point you may need to pop a CD or DVD into your system, and for me having a large flat area made trying to cut out a slot for a CD drive a daunting proposition.

I also have some questions regarding your proposal here:

3) Why do you have the back/bottom section? Seems like you have it set up as a pass-through box with fans, but there doesn't seem to be any good reason to have fans in there.

4) Do you need your fans to exhaust from the top? If not I would recommend having them exhaust through the rear near the top. I used to have top-mounted fans but they have an ability to let dust/crap fall through them when the computer is powered down.

Now regarding your questions -

5) I think putting both UV and blue lights the effects would somewhat cancel each other out, I would pick one or the other. Blue if you just want it to light up without buying specific UV hardware, but UV stuff does look kinda cool.

6) Overall color I think should depend on your materials (type of wood) and skills. I love the look of natural wood so that would be my first choice, just stain and finish it properly.

1) and 2) I though in the power and reset buttons, in the CD/DVD drive and in a front USB port, but I really don´t know where to put it! I though in put the CD/DVD drive inside that bottom "free" space, cause I will not use it "all the time". I need tips to "solve this problem".

3) and 4) First, I made those sections to do the cable management and because I will use a Antec Kühler 620 and the radiator will stay in that section, but its hard to find a Antec Kühler 620 or other good WC without a expensive cost here in Brazil, so I will use a AC and use that section only to cable management and to put the exhaust fans. And about the fans, if I put through the rear, like you said, I need to put other fans on top, in that part of wood, after the acrylic, don't I?

5) So I will decide if I will paint everything black and put blue lights or paint black and blue and put UV lights. What do you think it's better?

6) I don't like so much the wood look so I intend to paint it with a solid color.

Guys, I need tips!!!
I don't know where to put the CD/DVD drive and a front USB port!
And I also don't know if I a air cooler will be enough or if I really need a Antec Kuhler 620.

Guys, I need tips!!!
I don't know where to put the CD/DVD drive and a front USB port!
And I also don't know if I a air cooler will be enough or if I really need a Antec Kuhler 620.

With where it seems to be located in your room, I probably wouldn't bother with front USB, just bring a few extensions from the back over to where the monitor is at the desk. If you use a DVD rom that little, you could pick up a cheap USB enclosure and bring it out when you need, and store it in a drawer when it's not needed.

This is all going to depend on your skills with the wood, but here are some ideas;
Do a stealth CD/DVD build. You could even rig it to a hidden switch under your desktop which when pushed would open and close the stealth-ed optical. Think along the lines of a silent alarm button that you see bank tellers use in the movies when they are getting robbed.
On those same lines, run your USB and power switch to a control box that sits either on your desk or is also hidden underneath the desktop.

Hey guys, I came back! I'm away for a long time, things were going a bit messy here, but now I decided that I need to finish it!
Well, I'll start with new photos, to show my current situation:

So, as you can see, the organization is terrible!
I need to find a good way to secure the motherboard, cause, as you can see, it's fixed in an iron frame (which I removed from an old case) that is supported on plastic bubble!! Also I need to fit it nicely in that "hole" on back.
For HD, which is also only supported, I have a support, which also removed from an old case, I only need to organize the cales to place it.
I also need to choose the fans who will buy (size and model) and choose how to put the front fans (that will be in acrylic), my intention was to put them almost face to face with the motherboard, but here they do not fit, so I think it will be a little higher up.
And missing the decor and lighting, any tips? I think it is a bit "empty"...

I wait for tips and suggestions!

Back