Project: The Unidyne PC

Beautiful job. First I was impressed with Boddakers attention to detail than Qtip 42,s now yours. I am really gonna have to step it up.
Your entry was spectacular (first comp I like better than my own;) )

Whoa...slow down guys.

This is what I'm pimping now:

028.jpg

Yes...it is tame compared to the Unidyne but it is suppose to be a commercial product.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thats what "I" was talking about, voted for it.:)

For a commercial manufacturing style case I would have reversed it, Anodized alum to replace the wood and wood strips to replace the alum parts.

Thats what "I" was talking about, voted for it.:)

For a commercial manufacturing style case I would have reversed it, Anodized alum to replace the wood and wood strips to replace the alum parts.

Thanks. Interesting idea. Would you keep a contrast between the legs and the body?

Dude for personal use I wouldnt change 1 thing!!!!!(its a work of art)

My original CrossFlo was designed to win that contest. After the mess at CoolerMaster I gave up.

To make a production comp (hundreds or thousands of the same comp) it needs to be easy to mfg. My whole case had 5 Pieces and could easily run dual 8800GTXs + Tuner and other stuff in a case smaller than a Qpack.
(LOL I like to talk about my comp, ok back on track:D )

Yours would cost a LOT to mfg in wood, It would appeal to the upscale market big time but 98% of the market is $20-50 cases.

You could do brushed alum with wood inserts. Or different shades of wood would be cool or even plastic strips of different colors to snap in place to customize the case.

Personally it seems like blasphemy to change that comp, but Im sure Intel is looking for something to apeal to the 98%.

I still voted for yours you should be proud to posses such skill.

I wouldn't use real wood for a production model. The chassis is a SilverStone LC02 so it should be easy to build in quantity.

Each leg is composed of 43 pieces of wood and took me three days to build. A CNC milling machine could take a solid block of something and whip it out in 55 seconds.

I'm planning on doing another worklog here very, very soon. It will be a simplified version of the Decomatic. The idea is to take it to the point were someone following along could branch out with their own design for the final leg of the journey.

This is a really awesome mod! I love it, cause being a musician, I love the look of those vintage mic's, too.

IMHO, only 2 of those weekly winners are anywhere near in the same category...

Unidyne and Batman Begins

Kinda funny that the 2 best mods are from the [H]

Not to take away from either of those, because they really are amazing mods, but I just wanted to point out that Boddaker made his own homemade vacuum forming table for UAL-737

Sorry for the necro bump but I thought this might be interesting to those who followed along with this worklog.

Fans of the video game Civilization V might recognize the icon that was used for the technology "Radio".

Unidyne.jpg

It was based on my original photo.

UnidyneX.jpg

Pay special attention to the mic cable wrapped around the chrome stand support.

The Civ series is my favorite game and I think it is kinda cool to have my work "borrowed" for it. It would have been cooler yet to have been given some credit for it. It makes me want to pirate the game even though I already own it. LOL

Link to game reference

So do you think they should have asked permission to use my image?

Well, e-mail them and ask them! :p

I sent them a very friendly e-mail and they ignored me. There has been some discussion on CIV forums that most all the icons were created using supposedly "public domain" images. Fact is, the forums consider it an Easter Egg of sorts to find all the original sources for the icons.

Back