Project: Tsunami

webdes03

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone. As you frequent [H]ers know, I'm fairly new to the board. I've been reading for a long time, but only recently started posting. Thanks again to all of you who have been answering my questions and helping me along.

I know there is a fair amount of people on here who do not like the Tsunami case. I happen to have one, which I do like, and will be doing my part to try and mod one to something new and not so original.

I will post photos as I move through the project, which kicked into high gear a few days ago.

Here's a brief outline of what you can expect:
  • Painting of the inside of the case
  • Removal of the stock blue lights, to be replaced with white
  • Complete wire hiding (at least as much as possible)
  • Wire/Cable Sleeving

In addition to the above list, I have a set of CAD plans which I've drawn up, to run part of a chrome pipe through the case as a cable channel. This probably won't be undertaken for a little while, as I need to fabricate all the components, and I'm already missing my PC as it's in about 200 pieces at the moment.

I'm also replacing all of the existing fans and my stock Intel heatsink with new- to continue with the black and white theme of the case, and make it substansially quieter.

I do of course welcome your comments along the way. Again I'm new, and this is my first attempt at modding. It's possible that I've bit off a little more than expected, but I always like a little challenge.

BEFORE PHOTOS

Here's some shots of my rig so you can see the mess it was in before I started working on this string of mods- and so we have something to compare the finished product to.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

INTERIOR PAINTING

At first I was unsure where I should start, so I figured I might as well break everything down and start from the bottom up. Every component was removed, forming quite a heap on my floor, and all of the important areas were masked off (such as the finished outside surface, grounding strips, etc). You'll also notice that I made some cuts and drilled some holes where the motherboard will be, for the purposes of running cables under it.

As a tip from a fellow [H}ard user, Flat Black Rustoleum was used. Thanks Stormshadow!

The photos show the case during various stages of painting, as well as the following day when the masking was removed.

One of the things that really bugged me was that you'd see the grey side of the optical drives and gold PSU through the window, so I also took the liberty of painting those also, after masking the important areas.

DSCN4196.JPG

DSCN4203.JPG

DSCN4204.JPG

DSCN4205.JPG

DSCN4206.JPG

DSCN4208.JPG

DSCN4228.JPG

DSCN4229.JPG

DSCN4230.JPG

DSCN4231.JPG

DSCN4231.JPG

DSCN4231.JPG

DSCN4198.JPG

DSCN4197.JPG

Dude didn't you diassemble the cd drives and power supply? Paint will get inside and could damage stuff.

jackofalltrades said:
Dude didn't you diassemble the cd drives and power supply? Paint will get inside and could damage stuff.
It's only a Powmax, it'll take out his whole computer one day.

i just stuck paper and tape under all the holes when i painted my PSU.
i didn't feel like getting shocked.

Replace that power supply, if you like having a computer. Powmax = teh sux. Even a $40 fsp 400w would do a better job.

Nice mod though.

I suggest taking that picking up that powmax and taking it far far away from any sort of computer parts. Burn it in a remote part of the Mojave desert.

Powmax=F I R E H A Z A R D

Back