• Silverstone TJ07 Case (black)
  • Intel Core2Extreme Quad-Core CPU @ 4.0GHz
  • Zalman CNPS 9700NT Heatsink
  • eVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 Motherboard
  • 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM
  • (2) eVGA 9800GX2 Video Cards @ 700MHz core / 1075MHz memory
  • eVGA 8600GT PCI Video Card
  • etc. (see sig)

My system is overclocked, on air, so it runs a little hot. I've always gone straight to watercooling on past projects, but I wanted to see if simply improving airflow inside the case would make any difference.

I started out using cut-up cardboard with different fan configurations to find the best flow pattern. Looks mad ghetto but when the door was on it really worked great. This sort of configuration takes in lots of cool external air, and efficiently exhausts the heated air as well.

dsc9230ut5.jpg

Here is the flow diagram for this configuration:

dsc9230flowvx4.jpg

Using this configuration, compared to an non-ducted configuration, I noticed that the GPU's dropped several degrees Celsius (idle).

Well anyway, last night I started fabricating some internal ducting and an external exhaust manifold. I used some thin sheet aluminum so it was very easy to cut and work with.

I started making the external exhaust manifold. I really wanted to be able to exhaust all of the heated air out the window so it won't affect the ambient temperature in my room. I first created a template out of poster board and then used it to create one from aluminum. I wanted to make sure it would catch the exhaust out of the two 92mm fans, as well as air from the PCI card rear-vent.

Card board mock-up:

DSC_9795.jpg

DSC_9784.jpg

DSC_9785.jpg

Traced it onto the sheet aluminum:

DSC_9799.jpg

Using shears to cut the aluminum:

DSC_9801.jpg

After creating all of the bends in the aluminum version, I used some rivets to facet everything together. I also sealed all of the seams with clear silicone.

Here is the final product, installed on the back of the case:

DSC_9807.jpg

DSC_9811.jpg

The next thing I wanted to do was recreate the internal ducting with aluminum. I used clear packing tape to seal up all of the 5.25" mounting holes, then I started to build the ducting. I got a little excited and forgot to take pictures of this part, but here is a photo looking in from the front of the case.

DSC_9820.jpg

From the side, you can see the ducting (on the right) where it lines up to the video cards. I wanted to make sure that 100% of the air entering the front of the case would pass through the video cards, so that is why the aluminum is flush all the way up to the cards:

DSC_9826.jpg

Here is a shot of the top of the ducting, after reinstalling the Scythe Kama Bay Fan:

DSC_9827.jpg

The next part I started to build was the PCI area exhaust. I used a PCI slot fan that I had sitting around but created a custom housing to hold it.

DSC_9831.jpg

DSC_9836.jpg

DSC_9835.jpg

Holding the PCI exhaust fan in place:

DSC_9833.jpg

Here is the view looking through the front again. In this picture you can see the aluminum that I placed between the 9800GX2 cards. This blocks the 8600GT from getting cool air, but that card is just used to run my extra monitors so I'm not worried about that one:

DSC_9837.jpg

I also used a piece of aluminum to close the gap between the motherboard tray & the 5.25" bays:

DSC_9842.jpg

Another progress shot. You can see the aluminum piece between the two 9800GX2 cards in this photo:

DSC_9843.jpg

When the PCI exhaust unit is installed the video card airflow is now a closed, one-way airflow setup:

DSC_9845.jpg

I forgot that I wanted to use the rear-bottom 92mm exhaust fan for the PCI cards so I cut open the top of the PCI exhaust fan:

DSC_9852.jpg

DSC_9858.jpg

After that I created the top shrould. Notice how I applied tape along the edge that makes contact with the motherboard:

DSC_9854.jpg

Top shroud installed - now the rear-bottom 92mm exhaust fan also helps to exhaust hot air from the PCI card area:

DSC_9859.jpg

DSC_9862.jpg

DSC_9864.jpg

After cutting a hole in the rear exhaust manifold, I added a mount for the dryer ducting. At this point, it's pretty much done!

DSC_9867.jpg

Here is the computer under my desk and running again:

DSC_9876.jpg

DSC_9878.jpg

Once again, here is the flow diagram:

flowchart.jpg

I'm really glad I did this mod. Not only is it keeping my system cool & stable, but it's exhausting all the hot air out the window, so the ambient temperature in my room is not really affected by the computer anymore.

Total materials cost: $10 sheet aluminum, $3 rivets, $4 silicone sealant, $9 dryer ducting = $26.

I think I'm going to pull out all of the ducting so I can paint it all flat-black. should look really nice once it's painted.

Cheers!

i do something like this in the winter, i have a duct coming from the outside to suck in cold air, works great for OCing :D
*Lives in Michigan*

Once its painted, this is going to look awesome! Very nice job!

The ducting looks really nice. It doesn't take away at all from the rest of the case....it almost looks like it was pre-fabbed by Silverstone for that specific application. Nicely done!

We need to see some temps too!

well, before i was seeing GPU temps up to 80c at idle. now i'm seeing GPU temps in the low 60's (C).

i'll take pictures of the individual components (there are 3 total) when i take the ducting out. :)

Is there any sort of mesh or filter to keep bugs from crawling into the nice warm and dark computer?

Is there any sort of mesh or filter to keep bugs from crawling into the nice warm and dark computer?

yeah but i forgot to take photos and i'm feeling too lazy to now. i used one of those flapper-type dryer duct exhaust vents that you would install on the outside of a house. similar to what i did here:

dsc9458de8.jpg

dsc9457gq6.jpg

yeah i had some extra dryer duct left, and an extra 92mm fan sitting around...so i modded my cats litter box. LOL. no more stinky litter box!

i also ordered some 12v DC motion detector timed-switches for $6 on ebay. got them, but havent installed them yet. right now the fan runs 24/7, but it's silent so you can't hear it. once i install the motion detectors, the fan will run for 3mins every time she enters the litter box.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
this might be super obvious, but how are you powering the 92mm fan for the cat litter box? is it hooked to your PC somehow and powering off some 3 or 4 pin plug? or are you running it some other way?

Nicely done! Not a million miles from something I'm considering incorporating into my case build when I do it, to make better use of my fans.

Although I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with sheet aluminium!

btw, great litter-box mod, too ;)

this might be super obvious, but how are you powering the 92mm fan for the cat litter box? is it hooked to your PC somehow and powering off some 3 or 4 pin plug? or are you running it some other way?

used an old 12v power supply plug from a router that died.

I love it Theorie!

The catbox idea too!

I can think of a few friends who could use one of those extractors in their computer room. ;)

Well done. :)

thanks!

oh, i just ordered some new goodies too...

2 sheets of finished carbon fiber panel
another scythe kama bay cooler
2 black/blue-lcd digital thermometers w/ probes
black cable sleeving
black heat-shrink
black thumb-screws
black fan-screws
black fan-grills

i am going to use the temp probes to monitor intake/exhaust air temps. the carbon fiber will be used to re-make the case's stock 5.25" bay mounts & the sub-floor. the other stuff is just for dress up.

i just got some paint from the hardware store too, so i'm going to paint the ducting this PM (hopefully).

I wouldn't mind having this mod inside my computer cases :D

EVEN COOLER, now sleeve those cables, seeing yellow and green on top of your EVGA cards and black wind tunnel ruins their look.

the first sheet of carbon fiber came...along with the second scythe kama bay cooler & some of the black screws/thumbscrews. still waiting on the other piece of CF for the sub-floor.

before:
DSC_0159.jpg

after:
DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

close up:
DSC_0180.jpg

more pics to come...kinda busy right now.

Looks much better and professionally done than when it first started

Very good job with the ducting. Want to do mine? :D

i actually might be giving away the ducting very soon... :D

planning on flipping the mobo tray in the next week or two (waiting for parts to come), so that would mean that the ducting would no longer fit. in that case i will either build new ducting or just watercool. the aircooling was kind of an experiment - i've been watercooling pc's for almost 10 years now, and i kind of miss the fun of building a w/c system. :)

i'll let you guys know when i'm ready to give away the ducting. i'll definitely pass it on to another tj07 owner.

in other news...the 2nd sheet of carbon fiber came today. it's 1.5mm thick and very rigid. it's going to make an awesome sub floor. pics soon...

ok well here are some progress shots from the fabrication of the new subfloor. i hacked up the original one for its brackets. i figured this was the best way to have a perfect fit, and also the stock subfloor was made out of nice quality aluminum. came out pretty nice (as you saw from the teaser pics).

started some of the cable sleeving too. i am going to do everything in black mesh sleeving with black heatshrink, except for my SATA cables which will be purple mesh with black heatshrink (pic below). i think i am going to go for a "Black / Carbon Fiber / Purple" color scheme on this case. should look nice. need to swap out some LED's also i guess. also, everything will be sleeved since and clean.

at this point i have not yet cut holes in the new subfloor. since i plan to watercool the case soon, i do not want any unnecessary holes in the subfloor. i also have not actually bolted the lower mobo tray rail to the subfloor, because that would require drilling holes in the subfloor, and since i am flipping the mobo soon those holes would then show.

anyway, here are some progress pics.

1.5mm carbon fiber - nice and stiff!
DSC_0182.jpg

cutting the carbon fiber
DSC_0191.jpg

original aluminum subfloor
DSC_0192.jpg

rear brackets removed
DSC_0195.jpg

removing front brackets (includes 3.5" mounts)
DSC_0196.jpg

test fitting brackets
DSC_0197.jpg

subfloor complete!
DSC_0201.jpg

underside of subfloor
DSC_0203.jpg

new subfloor installed
DSC_0205.jpg

installing other components
DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg