Project "Wind Tunnel" - TJ07 internal ducting modification [lots of pics]

Sir,
I blame you for all the love stains that are on my monitor now =(

GREAT STUFF! I'm looking forward to the final outcome.

Now you cant possibly cover up that gorgeous carbon with the ducts.

Were do you get the carbon pieces from?

Bloody awesome mate.

i've been away the past few days so i didn't get a chance to sleeve the cables yet. though, i did flip the mobo last week before i left to go out of town.

instead of just flipping the unmodified mobo tray like i did last time, i ordered a new back panel from murdermod. reason be, when simply flipping the unmodified mobo tray, the video cards sit very close to the top of the case, where as the murdermod bracket compensates for this, sitting the mobo as low to the subfloor as possible. here are some photos from the mobo tray modding - pretty straight forward. this will be painted later on...

by the way, i have flipped the top fans so they now exhaust. not having the back fans definitely messes up the current airflow configuration, but like i said, watercooling is coming soon.

added the bottom mobo tray rail to the cf subfloor
DSC_0336.jpg

unmodified mobo tray
DSC_0329.jpg

rear panel removed
DSC_0332.jpg

stock vs murdermod
DSC_0333.jpg

installed (thanks to the gf for holding the final product for a photo)
DSC_0334.jpg

i'm really not going to rush the watercooling because i want to do it right, that and i'm thinking of upgrading to a 790i board before picking out the watercooling components. i'm also planning to custom fabricate a waterblock that will cool both the north-bridge and south-bridge, as any of the south-bridge blocks currently on the market will not fit with my 9800gx2 cards. updates on that as it comes along, but there next updates should be the cable sleeving...

Looks pretty good, i myself love silverstones, and respect any other man that will mess with a couple hundred green backs.

sorry i've been slow with pics lately...when i was in the process of sleeving all of my cables, i realized that i didn't have enough supplies. i wanted to re-use the molex connectors from my current setup, but i have some red, some blue, some black - so i ordered a bunch of black molex connectors. they should be here by saturday hopefully. here is what i ordered:

1 x Connectx™ ATX 24-pin Female connector housing - Black
4 x Connectx™ 6-Pin PCI Express connector housing - Black
2 x Connectx™ PCI-Express 2.0 - 8-pin Female connector housing, Black
2 x Connectx™ ATX 8-pin Female connector housing, Black
4 x Connectx™ Female 3-Pin Fan Housing Black
2 x Connectx™ Male 3-Pin Fan Housing Black
1 x Connectx™ T-SATA Female (crimp-type) - Black (end cap)
1 x Connectx™ T-SATA Female (crimp-type) - Black (pass-through cap)

i am also going out to buy a spool of wire either tonight or tomorrow. i am going to make all of my cables from scratch, that way i they are the exact lengths i want. i tried hacking up one of the included 8-pin pci-e cables that came with my psu, but it didn't turn out as nice as i wanted it to...making the cables from scratch will be much easier and look better.

i also did a little modification to my corsair memory cooler...not done with it yet though. (see attachment). sleeved the cable, removed the blue-colored cover, and added some black fan grills. this might get a bit of carbon fiber in the near future...depends on how much carbon fiber sheet i have left...

dsc0503ln7.jpg

anyway i have a bunch of goodies coming, so i should be able to work on everything this weekend, and then i'll have pics.

oh, here is something else i ordered:
Scythe "HIMURO"
Himuro-HDD-Cooler.jpg

in preparation for installing watercooling, i am moving all of my HDD's into a secondary computer which will be used as network storage. i will only have the DVD burner & the Raptor HDD installed in this case, and the raptor will be installed in the Scythe HIMURO box, which will be mounted right behind the top Scythe Kama Bay cooler.

cheers

I love the MurderMod backplate and things they sell. Everything is to the highest quality standard. Did you pick up some of their sleeving too?

Looks pretty good, i myself love silverstones, and respect any other man that will mess with a couple hundred green backs.

As do I...which is one reason why I can't wait to get started on my TJ08 mods.

Much respect Theorie, things are coming along very nicely and I can't wait to see this mod near completion.

I'll also be looking forward to seeing that Scythe hard drive box does...I was considering the same thing for my TJ08 and I wanna know if it's possible to mount it far enough back in the drive cage to still put the bay cover in place so you don't see it.

Wow, NICE duct work. Did you by chance take temp readings of your CPU/GPU when it was in? I'd love to do it just to say I did it because even w/o being painted it looked pimp.

I would have mig welded or JB welded the inside channels instead of using rivets to make it more clean. That is just me, otherwise you are doing a great job.

OP, how much have your temps changed? Can you tell us your idle and load for CPU and GPU?

I don't think you've told us yet :(

OP. I love your plan of greating a solid aerodynamic case.

I was considering recently doing something similar but didn't really wanna fork out my hard earned savings until i knew some things.

Like how much noise does it make and can you variey the noise with different fan speeds?

What's the overclocking potientcial with your aerodynamics involved?

As an AMD user I'm probably going to need to look at a slightly different setup based on my heatsink. It's a True Black and thus the air flow of the CPU can only go up or down.

Anyways. What's the noise like? Tempt me into doing the same and documenting an AMD.

Cheers mate

Back