Project: You name it (Lian Li PC-V1010)

BoogerB

Limp Gawd
I have no idea what to name this, so for now it will be unnamed. I'll start this off with a few in progress pictures of the Lian Li PC-V1010 in pieces, a bit of wiring done but nowhere near completion. Parts will be shown next update more than likely.
I'll update this throughout the next couple weeks as I'm sure it will take that long for completion. The internals will either be powder coated or anodized. I'm leaning towards re-anodizing as I feel it would look better and not require chasing threads. This will be my first real custom case setup, so bear with me. I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments along the way good or bad.

Relatively disassembled with protective tape covering some touchable areas. You can see the activity LED, power/reset switch cables already sleeved.
P9140120e.jpg

Side picture, I believe I'll replace or tweak the floor plate as I do not really like the large holes. Time will tell, the TX750 may require me to utilize these.
P9140121e.jpg

Front side, the reset switch will need some work done to it, it does not hold it self in place. When I opened the case it was not in its proper place. Bulgin replacement possibly.
P9140122e.jpg

Backside of the case and motherboard tray. There is some sort of stain (almost looks like sweat on galvanized steel) on the rear of the tray. Hopefully that will not affect the re-anodize process. Also noticable is the sleeved intake fan, that connector will have to be replaced obviously.
P9140123e.jpg

I like it... kinda.

I'm working on some sleeving and extra junk as of now. Only things that are case specific for now as everything else is in another case or pointless to work with.

The top media bay/usb/etc is driving me crazy. I can't decide if I want to sleeve those wires separately or in one big lump. One big lump looks kinda crappy, but it might smooth things up a bit. I'll probably cut that off (pita to put on) and go individual when I get some nonadhesive heatshrink in.

I have noticed that on certain cables, (ie sata cables) it makes sleeving much easier if the sharp edges are wrapped in tape, this also provides a bit of a spreader for the heatshrink.

I believe I will put everything in the case this weekend and see how it fits, then mark holes, etc if needed. After that I'll figure out which wires will be shortened, cut, and so forth. Then it will be off to powdercoating or anodizing. Of course there is a ton of work to do in the mean time, though I could half-ass it and call it done PDQ.

Update... not a big one with anything fancy though. :eek:
Today I threw everything from my old case in the v1010. I have some atrocious wiring for now, and I believe I'll be splicing in a few pieces in the 8pin. The TX750's sleeving is horrible and I'll replace that as soon as some tools arrive. I think I'll order this from seeing a recommendation on here. I've tried with some small T-pins used for building R/C planes (balsa, etc) but it is just a pain. I did get one out with some small silk pins, but have since abandoned that idea. The sata connectors will be moved and shortened to give it a clean look, and I'll probably cut some ends to rid excess wiring. I figure I'm moving connectors, the warranty is shot anyways, so why not? The order for a new DVD burner will be placed tonight or tomorrow too, no more IDE.

PLEASE give comments, suggestions, I need it.

Old setup in the Wavemaster (such a nice case, just needs a better option for cooling, and to be a bit thicker) I wish I could use it for this but new is better in this case.
P9140124e.jpg

System installed. I used the fan controller to wire up the fans temporarily, I haven't decided if I'll used this small device yet or go another route. Wiring in that area will need some work, obviously.
P9200129e.jpg

A better dead on shot, I'll have the HDD cables sleeved and rerouted hopefully. My LED/switch wiring is pissing me off, I'm going to rip that off and sleeve individually, if only the last 12" or so. As it sits now, my splits are a bit off, look ugly and are not connecting properly.
P9200131e.jpg

Back side shot...
P9200132e.jpg

That's the problem...

My goal is to have a blacked out case, black everything that is very sleek, simple and well organized for future changes or mods.

I'm not into lights, bright colors, etc right now, I just want it sedate. Maybe watercooled in a few months, but for now I'll keep the air cool simplicity.

Nice clear pics... makes me want to buy a new camera (my 5.1mp Samsung has been getting me by), gotta save for a nice dslr.:cool:

The ok gears tool seems like it would work... but I really like the sunbeam tool. I have a feeling you may end up needing a few tools to get it all done, and any extras are always a bonus.

I wouldn't hesitate extending the 8 pin (what I did). Just make sure you use the same gauge wire and stagger your splices to keep the girth low. I'd also open the power supply and desolder the extra connectors you don't want. It'd be much cleaner than just cutting them off.... shoulda bought the modular.:p

Pick this up to make light work of soldering/de-soldering.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/PPI-PPMTKIT01-p-60505.html

I have this kit (and paid twice this much) and a Master kit that's very similar. This one is nicer (and actually works after about a year of use - don't forget my occupation, this thing is used almost daily for many things not including soldering). The kit comes with attachments that eventually get you to a pointed end good for isolating solder spots on pcb to heat up and pull the wire off the board. Stay away from the pen type:

http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-pp-ppsk.html

The flame's adjuster is made of plastic and melts eventually giving you a useless tool.

gotta love the old CM cases. I remember the atc-201 I had. I actually wanted to by a cm case then.

hrmm, maybe darkness, I like that too!

splicing, soldering shouldn't be a problem, hell I'll probably have the same color wire. An employee of mine gave me an extra 400watt no name PSU when I was diagnosing the other setup.

I'll order the sunbeam and the other tool just incase. Hell 30 bucks aint much really. Just 100rds of ammo.... odd isn't it?

I'll check out those tools, but I have several irons already in various sizes and wattages.

Nice idea on removing the extra wires, I'll definately look into that.

For now I believe the system will reside in the case until tools/parts come in. At that point I'll move to a cardboard box setup and some foam for the HDD while at the anodizer.

...Project... sweat stain...? yeah?

BTW, what'd you do with the cm case?

The CM case is sitting in my living room, along with numerous boxes from the build and prior builds. I believe I'll use it for a HTPC in the near future after I figure out exactly what I can and can not do with a HTPC. I believe it would fit nice with my entertainment center, as it is bare brushed aluminum and the TV/DVD/HDDVR/etc is all silver/aluminum.

Not too sure about sweat stain, although that's what the back of the motherboard tray looks like it has on it.

You might want to try running your 4/6 pin power cable up through the other side of your mobo, inbetween your video card and mobo if that makes sense.

You might want to try running your 4/6 pin power cable up through the other side of your mobo, inbetween your video card and mobo if that makes sense.

It does make sense, however I'm trying to keep everything off of the motherboard.

I think I may sleeve it individually and notch the top of the motherboard tray to slide it over.

The ATX will have a hole behind the board and same method used.

PCIe will probably get the same too. In fact, I may cut a 4"x1" oval back there....
The problem with all of this is that there is very little space between the side panel and the midplate... I think if the wiring is laid flat it will be no problem.

I'd give it a trendy name, like The Opacity Project. You know, something like that. Anyhow, you're a braver man than I am, cutting into a 200$ case like that. It's going to look awesome when you're done.

Sorry about the delay. I've been slammed with some other projects outside of the case mod world.

I hoped to do a bit today, but I doubt it will happen.

I'll post more soon, thanks for the concern and thoughts so far.

Back