projector quandries

kidicarus74

Limp Gawd
hi all... i've been around the modding scene for years now, and i've done a little work with using my computer on a tv and hooking it up to my stereo but i can honestly say outside of that, i know nothing about HTPC's.

i already have a really good home theater:
sony 5.1 600w receiver,
sony progressive scan 5 disc dvd changer,
2 1800w self powered DefTech floorstanding speakers w/ built in 250w subs
1 1000w self powered DefTech center channel w/ sub
2 deftech 200w pro-monitors for the surround speakers
sony 27" wega tv
tivo
modded xbox

i want to add a projector to it (and eventually a dedicated htpc) but don't know at all what to get. It will be set up in a room that can be almost dark to pitch black all the time. All I really do is watch movies so i kind of want a 16:9. And mostly it can't be ungodly expensive (under $1200 if at all possible). It needs to be high def capable, with component (rgb) inputs and a dvi input at the least.... so really i'm just looking for advice and suggestions. what brands are good? what lumens do i need? can 4:3 do 16:9 ok? how big can the picture be based on how far away from the screen the projector is?

thanks in advance

Let me hook you up with some linkage since you're at the point i was two weeks ago:

Info & reviews:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/ Great site, be sure to check out all linkage at top and left hand sides. TONS of reviews :)
http://www.infotoday.com/online/OL1995/MayOL95/connolly.html

And if you go the do-it-yourself route:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=20

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showforum=6

http://www.diyprojectorcompany.com/phpBB2/index.php

Known decent DIY kits:
http://lumenlab.com/store/
http://www.diyprojectorcompany.com/catalog/index.php

Stores that sell tons of projectors at good prices:
http://www.iocombo.com/shared/cache/53fde96fcc4b4ce72d7739202324cd49.html
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/popcatlcd.hmx?

General consesus on whats a good "budget" projector are: Infocus, BenQ, Optoma (under $1100). One thing to take note is about every $200-$300 takes you into a higher class of projector with all the bells and whistles that come along with it.

My advice, don't rush into a purchase. Research and decide what features are most suitable for your needs and preferences. Give it a few weeks of reading and asking if need be.

the leading sub $1000 models are the Infocus x1 (I have one and am happy with it) and the BenQ 6100. Don't ge tthe x1a or the x2. For a little more ($1500) you can pick up an infocus 4805. It has DVI input and is 16:9 native. good deal. Check projector central, that is a great site to compare a lot of Projectors side by side. also, check out www.avsforum.com for tons of info. It can be overwhelming thouhg.

I went with the x1 because I could look at it locally and it has an onboard Faroudja (sp?) chip on it. It takes a 480i image and helps it along to near 480p. Turns out I am not using the chip anymore, so in hindsight, I should have sprung for the 4805.

there don't appear to be any 16:9 projectors under $1000, but there are plenty of 4:3 800x600 projectors under $1000, most of which can do 1080i and 720p. Letterboxing a 4:3 projector for 16:9 still gives you a TON of screen real estate, compared to a regular tv, though, so I wouldn't significantly stretch your budget just for 16:9 native. That choice kind of boils down to what you watch more of(SDTV/EDTV/HDTV/etc.)

Make sure you demo both LCD and DLP models, to figure out which tech you prefer. DLP is usually more $/pixel, with better contrast ratio(which equals better blacks). On the other hand, some people see a 'rainbow' effect from DLP if they turn their head while watching, which causes them to get headaches. This seems to be on a person to person basis(rare even, I'm just going by anecdotal evidence), though, so you most likely wouldn't notice at all.

That DIY projector idea sounds cool, obviously it wouldn't be great quality but I could imagine lying in bed watching a movie with teh wife on the ceiling or on the opposite wall. Plus it looks like it could be pulled off for well under $200.

Edit: fuck that, looks like a "good" OHP bulb might last 75 hours, and the "cheap" bubls are $25+ each. Not worth it.

I went with DLP for the better blacklevels. also used a silver screen to help more. Results are good. Only time I have seen rainbows is one time watching CBS's crappy football coverage. never in movies. of course, I don't turn my head much while watching the movie.

k1114 said:
That DIY projector idea sounds cool, obviously it wouldn't be great quality but I could imagine lying in bed watching a movie with teh wife on the ceiling or on the opposite wall. Plus it looks like it could be pulled off for well under $200.

Edit: fuck that, looks like a "good" OHP bulb might last 75 hours, and the "cheap" bubls are $25+ each. Not worth it.
. yep, i quickly scrapped that idea as well. Though the other kits do have bulbs that last +10,000hrs and accept lcd's up to 15". The start up costs there are obviously much higher.

How long to standard projector bulbs last? For example, how long does the bulb on the Infocus X1 last?

Those DIY kits are expensive, but still cheaper than a normal projector and you can get 10,000 hour bulbs for $25 each (the initial lighting kit is close to $200, but still!)

For the X1 it's up to 4000 hrs in economy mode, not sure otherwise. Did you see the X1 deal i posted by any chance ?($759) pretty sure they're being discontinued, that projector really seems to be a low priced jem. I'm eying up the infocus 4805 :) but due to budgetary concerns (read: fiancee) i may get the X1 or a nicer kit. Spring 05 i hope to be up and running.

Most of those diy kits have the lighting included. All of them except the budget pico model.

Here's a ton of home brewed concoctions.

k1114 said:

Read further.

the x1 is being discontinued. the 4805 is the intended home theatre replacement and the x1a is set to fill the x1's spot in the business area. there is also an x2 now. Neither the x1a or x2 are as good for HT as the x1.

IDversusEGO said:
the x1 is being discontinued. the 4805 is the intended home theatre replacement and the x1a is set to fill the x1's spot in the business area. there is also an x2 now. Neither the x1a or x2 are as good for HT as the x1.

Thats not really true the only thing the x1 has going for it is the DCDi chip. If you plan on using component/vga only then an x2 would be a better option. I myself have found some optoma h30's (almost as good as 4805 and 16:9 native options) used for cheap on videogon.com.

The Benq 6100 or 6200 seems to be a really popular option right now, they also have a long warranty on bulbs.

I'd say either optoma h30 or benq 6100/6200

good point. The chip also helps scale down the image, which helps with viewing HDTV on the x1. I still vote save up and get a 4805

IDversusEGO said:
good point. The chip also helps scale down the image, which helps with viewing HDTV on the x1. I still vote save up and get a 4805

The chip is inactive when using the vga port only works for s-video and composite.On the x1 I mean. I heard the deinterlacer on the optoma was good, and the benq's just plain sucks, although if you set up your htpc right you can use that as a better deinterlacer than the DCDi chip.

Although DCDi sure is nice I have it on my Denon dvd player.

well.... i just cashed in some stock for around $7500 (which i'm unfortunately not allowed to use until graduation) so i've decided on getting a nice dedicated projector. I'm thinking the sharp that's around $4000... whatever it is, it'll definitely be 16:9 and at least do 13xx x 768 or whatever that resolution is... with the extra cash i'm gonna finish out my theater set, so here's what it's gonna end up being:

Digital Theater Projector
Denon 450w 7.1 multizone reciever
4 DefTech 2006tl's (bipolar tower array speakers, built in 250w active sub on each)
1 DefTech powered center channel (same as above, but horizontal)
2 DefTech studio monitor speakers
Sony Progressive Scan 5 disc DVD Changer
Sony 400 disc cd player
Monster Cable power filter

should be nice... i have everything but the projector... can't wait to add that

If i'm not mistaken the "native resolution" is more important than the "capable of". Before plunking down $4000 on a nice projector make 200% sure you're getting your moneys worth.

I've already seen many projectors that cost $3000 that have the same features as a $750 X1.

The only 16x9 sharps i see in that $4000 range with 16x9 don't seem all that impressive on paper (for that price and imho):
http://www.projectorcentral.com/SharpVision-XV-Z200U.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/SharpVision-DT-300.htm

You might be eyeballing some other sharp i'm unaware of but if my links above are any guide, they show that you don't always get what you pay for. What model were you looking at? some of the more experienced here can give it an educated glance for you...

A toast to your future KILLER setup :) You better post some pics in the gallery

yeah... the projector i'm looking at is a theater projector, not a pc projector... it's got an hdmi in instead of dvi... it's used in smaller screening rooms, etc...

THANK YOU for the links. 6200 it is :D (100% of viewing is DVD / VHS) zero tv. (everybody cringes at VHS :p)

sharp

Hope you haven't ordered yet. Check out avsforum.com and look in the under $3500 forum category. AVS is probally the world's largest source of information in this category. You really can't go wrong there. You could probally spend the next month or 3 learning more than you ever wanted to know. That place helped me get my Z2.

As for projector central...they have gone down the tubes since can't tell the truth w/o getting their funding cut. I wouldn't trust them w/ a ten foot pole or a 20 foot throw range *inside joke*.

Trust me...go to avsforum.com and post your question their...you will be suprised how much help you will get (typically 2000+ peeps on at any given time all talking about AV stuff) :cool:

-tReP

for the money, avs still recomends the 6100. it can be had for less than $9000. sometimes as low as 750-800. the 6200 is the best for a low cost shorter throw PJ. I believe the z2 runs about $1500 at least. and if I remeber right (see sig if I am wrong) the z2 has a longer throw than the 6200.

The Z2 and Panasonic PT-L500U (AE500 is the same thing) are more or less tied, and both are pretty nice projectors. I have the L300U - the L500U's little brother - and it is very nice indeed. For $4000 you might be able to get something like the BenQ 8700 (I think that's the model), and it's supposed to be just awesome. I used to have BenQ 6100, and found that it's color wheel speed just wasn't high enough...the rainbows were getting annoying. That, and the blacks just didn't seem that much better, but going with a higher model DLP should help in both respects.

Anybody know who oems Dell's projectors? they have/had a sweet sale going on with mucho $$$ off.

I'm hoping the infocus 4805 drops in price early next year, either that or some other worthy projector...

truffle00

I am getting there with my x1. alredy looking at upgrades. I like it, but am ready for the next step.

SJetski71

not sure about dell's projectors, but the 4805 is a very worthy projector.

The 4805 is a great projector, another option would be optoma H30.

I believe dell is oem'ed by sanyo and are basic business projectors.

Bighitter said:
The 4805 is a great projector, another option would be optoma H30.

I believe dell is oem'ed by sanyo and are basic business projectors.
Dell seems to subdivide them into "bussiness" and "home entertainment" so i figured they may have had a decent model or two. I would never buy one blindly thats for sure.

I do hear much good about the 4805/H30/6100 projectors in general. I'll just have to pick something based upon my personal needs/requirements come buying time. Ambiant lighting isn't much of a concern, but PQ and connectivity is.

Sry again for the threadjack

Back