Proper heatsink for Socket 604

DonDon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi everybody.

I've got an HP XV8000 system that I just purchased a second processor for off of EBAY. I need to get a heatsink for it. I'm not planning on overclocking or anything. I just have a question though.

The chip in my system now is a 2.66/533/512K with a stepping of SL6VM, and I know the Xeon's socket is called Socket 604. And I am pretty sure this chip is a Prestonia chip. The problem I have is most of the Socket 604 coolers that I see out there say they are for Nocona chips.

So, is a socket 604 cooler gonna work on any socket 604 chip, and the Nocona designation just mean that it has the cooling capacity to handle the newer and hotter Nocona chips? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help. I have mostly AMD chips, and have never had a Xeon system before.

Don

unfortunately you cannot just get a socket 604 heatsink and expect it to work on all socket 604 cpu's
the reason being is that the prestonia core cpu and older had a different type of mounting where it was a clamp style like on the socket 478 p4's.
the nocona style is basically 4 screws that u screw in to a mounting plate that is super glued to the base of ur case with 4 holes aligning to the motherboard.

I would suggest getting a Cooler Master CM-01 series heatsink (CM-01 is not hte complete model but on www.2cpu.com they call it that but also have the full name for it) the cooler master CM-04 is for the nocona core / style of mounting.
It is a passive cooler with 6 heatpipes but it can cool even an overclocked cpu without breaking a sweat. (just minimal air flow in the case is required to let the air go thru the fins of the sink)

Well, leave it to HP to come up with some kinda screwy setup.

I have the 4 screw hole setup on my system. But the Processor the put in there is sqarely in the Prestonia line I found on the Processor listings. :( Glad I asked before ordering something.

I was thinking of putting a passive cooler in there as the second socket sits right in front of a 120 mm exhaust fan. I like a quiet PC.

Thanks

Don

umm hp might be using the bolt on method for installing the heatsink but i dont think its the same bolt as teh nocona style

Back