PS3 2.20 Firmware Update Brings BD-Live

HardOCP News

[H] News
So I just updated my PS3 with the new 2.20 firmware update so I could try out the new BD-Live features only to realize none of the Blu-ray movies I own have BD-Live features. Aside from next month’s movie releases, does anyone know of current movies with BD-Live content?

The PLAYSTATION®3 system software update may include security patches, new or revised settings and features and other items, which will change your current operating system. We encourage you to check this page from time to time for software updates and to always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software.

The 2.20 firmware update is not showing up on the official website yet (still showing 2.17). You have to hit system update from the PS3 menu to get the update.

So still no blu-ray -> PSP conversion?? :mad:

I should let Sony stick it to me and repurchase all my movies in UMD format for $20+ each. :rolleyes:

So still no blu-ray -> PSP conversion?? :mad:

I should let Sony stick it to me and repurchase all my movies in UMD format for $20+ each. :rolleyes:

Some people are sooooo demanding...What else would you like the PS3/PSP combo to do for you? Your taxes? I think that so far the two pieces do a pretty good job of delivering multimedia to your TV. I really don't think Sony is trying to stick anything to anyone, they're just coming up with new innovative ways to use the two pieces of gear, seperatly and together. I know that Sony stated that they'd slowly release updates and widgets for the two pieces, but I don't think that translates into "stick it to you". I mean look at what a leap this console is over the last one...

I haven't updated mine yet, but I'll do it today and see if any of my movies have BD Live.

I think I'm more interested to know if they included dts-hd:ma with this update. Anybody know?

I'll have to download this when I get home from work today. I doubt my one Blu-Ray movie(Hitman) has any BD:Live features though.

Some people are sooooo demanding...What else would you like the PS3/PSP combo to do for you? Your taxes? I think that so far the two pieces do a pretty good job of delivering multimedia to your TV. I really don't think Sony is trying to stick anything to anyone, they're just coming up with new innovative ways to use the two pieces of gear, seperatly and together. I know that Sony stated that they'd slowly release updates and widgets for the two pieces, but I don't think that translates into "stick it to you". I mean look at what a leap this console is over the last one...

I haven't updated mine yet, but I'll do it today and see if any of my movies have BD Live.

It already can do my taxes... What was your point?

I was looking forward to a reasonably priced way to watch my movies on my PSP (not ♥♥♥♥ing the $400+ for the PS3). You don't think the $20+ per UMD movie is not sticking it to the customer? I do. A few of them you can find for $13-$15. Nothing like buying the same movie twice or more... Guess I will have to still rely on 3rd party programmers to provide the solution - on my PC. I'm still waiting for a UMD burner. I don't suppose this blu-ray -> PSP feature that Sony was going to add will go against their philosophy of not copying movies? :D

Yes, a leap, but far from being the center of my multimedia as Sony wants it to be.

I would go get a movie with BD Live to test it out, but not at the $30+ they are asking per movie. Grrr!

I was looking forward to a reasonably priced way to watch my movies on my PSP (not ♥♥♥♥ing the $400+ for the PS3). You don't think the $20+ per UMD movie is not sticking it to the customer? I do. A few of them you can find for $13-$15. Nothing like buying the same movie twice or more... Guess I will have to still rely on 3rd party programmers to provide the solution - on my PC. I'm still waiting for a UMD burner. I don't suppose this blu-ray -> PSP feature that Sony was going to add will go against their philosophy of not copying movies? :D

Yes, a leap, but far from being the center of my multimedia as Sony wants it to be.

I would go get a movie with BD Live to test it out, but not at the $30+ they are asking per movie. Grrr!

if you are truely waiting for a UMB burner, you really need to re-think the way you use your PSP. Even sony got it right.

I'm going to hold off installing this update for awhile. I was reading the forums and all has not gone smoothly for everybody. My ps3 is working just fine right now and I don't want to chance mucking it up.

20 tries for me and I still can't install it, every single time I get some server timeout error. Worst thing is, I can't get online without the update.... no COD4 for me...

Anyone with an external 3.5'' hard drive adapter, be careful upon the firmware update. Unplug your drive during the firmware upgrade process. There have been several reports of the update corrupting people's drives so they lose all their data.

I don't think it is sticking it to the customer. If you want to watch the movie on your car's DVD player, do you want them to give you the DVD of the movie too? You want to watch it in a different format, you have to pay for that format.

There will never be a UMD burner, Sony has said this multiple times.

The Blu-Ray->PSP feature isn't really Blu-Ray->PSP. All it is, is a digital copy on a DVD that you can transfer to your PSP's memory stick, a great way to do it, and totally free to the consumer. That is the exact opposite of sticking it to the consumer, it is already happening, several movies already do it. What more do you want? Do you really expect Sony to include a seperated UMD with every Blu-Ray movie?

As for the $30+ per movie thing. The funny thing about that is that I just bought my first Blu-Ray movie, Hitman. I also bought the exact same movie on DVD. The DVD was more expensive than the Blu-Ray and both offered the same features. I paid $27 for the Blu-Ray and $31 for the DVD.

Back