PS3 2.40 -- Bricked or Not?

2.40 Update brick your PS3

• Total voters
i havent had any problems only the fact that this is the stupidest update ever, cant go on internet browser while in game, cant listen to music in game, cant do anything in game except look at trophies and talk to friends....is it really that hard to let music play while playing a game? my psp can do that with IrShell, geez when are the ps3 hacks gonna come?

Got the 40gb PS3 (also says so in sig)

Just ran the update myself, no issues. Streaming music from my PC to my PS3 as we speak, alls well! :)

update worked fine last night, then updated gta4 without any problems. haven't played anything yet but my ps3 still turns on and works fine.

edit: 80gb ps3 updated to firmware 2.40

The system updated and works fine, but this update was not what I was expecting. I am a little disappointed.

i havent had any problems only the fact that this is the stupidest update ever, cant go on internet browser while in game, cant listen to music in game, cant do anything in game except look at trophies and talk to friends....is it really that hard to let music play while playing a game? my psp can do that with IrShell, geez when are the ps3 hacks gonna come?

This is exactly how I feel. I can't even jump back into the XMB after playing music from a cd or in my list like I used to do when hitting the PS button. It feels like they messed up and started from scratch again. I don't feel like they improved upon anything at all.

Edit: Mine is a 60GB and works fine with 2.4. That better? :)

Small request here -- if you're going to chime in and comment on whether it bricked, or didn't brick your PS3, could you drop what version you have? I guess I'd be more curious to know about the model on the ones that got bricked, but it won't hurt to see what's working too.

I've got a 60gb that I plan on updating tonight. I'll vote and comment tomorrow unless someone with a 60gb steps up and says it bricked theirs first! :)

^ Ah! Thought you were asking why I didn't update to 2.40 before making the post. The reason I created the poll was because there are reports around the net saying 2.40 is bricking some PS3s, I haven't read many previous reports regarding older firmware updates breaking systems (or I haven't been paying attention). Just trying to gauge if the problem is widespread or not, and based on the results so far.. its not.

Anyone with a 20g update?

I'm giving mine a go when I get home, 20g version.

Well I did some reading it appears that most people that are getting bricked PS3's are because the download skipped (from 60% to 100%). I'm going to d/l mine from the website so I can verify the correct size (130mb).

Downloaded and installed with no problems (80gb). I am actually very happy with the update. I just hope the game devs release patches to allow music in already released games. I would hope that at least new games coming out will allow it.

60GB updated fine.

But now I'm worried about it.

my system says there are no updates when I check, 80gb version

That's because the update was pulled.

60gb here, patched fine last night, and while I'm dissapointed in the update my ps3 is still working just fine.

I can't get to Shacknews @ work. Why'd they pull it? Were there really that many people with issues? My 60GB model did just fine, although it did seem like the XMB was in slow motion when I used it in-game.

I can't get to Shacknews @ work. Why'd they pull it? Were there really that many people with issues? My 60GB model did just fine, although it did seem like the XMB was in slow motion when I used it in-game.

It just says that they pulled it becouse it was borking some consoles during the update, and the are looking into it.

My 20g version updated this morning all working fine

Thanks for the info. I was just trying to update mine and it wouldn't. I figured they pulled it, looks like I was right. Oh well, I don't play my PS3 that much anyway.

60GB 1st Gen

Updated last night without problems. Played some SDHD and watched 4 episodes of Weeds BR season 1, plus checked out all other stuff as well

LOL it seems that this 2.4fw bricking is overreacted. i mean whatever forum i go to, 90% of people have had next to no issues with 2.4. this poll itself says it all

LOL it seems that this 2.4fw bricking is overreacted. i mean whatever forum i go to, 90% of people have had next to no issues with 2.4. this poll itself says it all

An updated shouldn't brick a console. So if 10% of the console owners are having problems, I say it's a big deal.

According to the poll, 7% of the people have had a failure. That's an awful high number. Of course, the sample set isn't that big....

I'd really like to hear from the people that bricked their PS3s. What model did you have? Was there anything "non-standard" that you did to your PS3 like an HD upgrade? How did you install the firmware?

I have the original launch 60 gig version and I put in a 250 gig HDD and I have no issues.
I updated from PSN.

Back