PS3 Better than than the best pc money can buy than?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
In E3 Nvidia used the same demo to show PS3's power:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_luna_videos.html
( can Demo can be download in "download" section for 7800 only, above is video )
and I heard in some place saids PS3 have 2 7800 and more powerful chip inside running in SLI
If PS3 sell it below $500 +cell processor is a real deal, too bad we can never take the baby out

um, i got confused by all the "than's" in the title.

but seriously, there has got to be a ban on console to pc comparisons...or a dedicated thread for it.

2 GTXs is impressive since the Xbox 360s Graphic processor is provided by ATI and arent on a "Card" as we know it. Its complete custom deal.

3 IBM powerPC 3.2G processors are definitely a powerfull setup tho.

No mouse and Keyboard still tho. I hate gamepads lol.

I'm not sure about GTX or not, but it will surely same for better than GTX SLI, correct me if i'm wrong

i woudl guess you are way off

it will possibly be able to be better leveraged as a gaming platform but it will not ever be more powerful as far as raw power goes than a good desktop let alone a high end one.

you mean the Cell processor or GPU? I'm some what sure that Gpu will better or equal to $500 retail 7800 cards in SLI, I think its using the same chip or better than the 7800 from the same company

From what i remember from the E3 coverage on G4 it will have something "equilivent" to a 7800 SLI setup (they didnt specify whether or not it was GT or GTX) although it is also a "custom deal" too. I think the PS3 will be far more powerfull than the average computer, and less than 10% or so better than Very High-end desktops at launch, but a year after, No way! Take a look at the Killzone II trailer (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/index.html?q=Kill zone 2) it is suposedly running in REAL-TIME and is still only using 1 (maybe 2) of the 7 total cores on the Cell processor (yes its the processor, not the GPU). So in my opinion, the PS3 will be the most POWERFULL console, Revolution will be the most kidd-friendly and inovative, and the 360 will be inbetween and best Price/preformance/versitile console.

(and just a reminder, this is all from my memory and mostly rummors)

Sony said themselves that tthe graphics power of the ps3 will be comprable to a 6800 ultra sli setup...

I will stick with my 7800 gtx build

More powerful than my machine?

opteron 146 1mb cache @ 3.5ghz on phase change
2GB Mushkin Redline @ 265mhz 2-2-2-5
2x EVGA 7800GTX KO SLI editions
pc power and cooling 510 SLI.

Pffft. I'll believe it when I see it. And if it is, I'll just buy 2x 512mb GTX's.

computerpro3 said:

Pffft. I'll believe it when I see it. And if it is, I'll just buy 2x 512mb GTX's.
From what I hear, both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 could beat that in terms of gaming performance. Does it matter though? Hell no. They are sure powerful, but they can't do everything a PC can do. It is a trade off. PC has WAY more functionality, new gen consoles are good at what they do.

Besides... You still have to fumble around with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse.

BTW, when the PS3 was announced, the GPU was said to be around the same as SLI 6800 ultras, not 7800 GTXes. This was before the GTX was launched. They also showed the Luna demo. One could therefore reasonably assume that the PS3 has a customised G70.

And the Killzone demo was pre-rendered.

Not to mention you guys are talking about hardware that won't be out for what another year? 7800GTX gonna be top dog at the end of next year?

that information has nothing to do how well ill do. PS3 is not even out and u are trying to compare something thats not even out to something that is now. 7800gtx might not beat it, but by the time PS3 comes out winter 06-spring 07 direct x10 cards will be out and will be comparable. But if u wanna know if ill kick ass, yes, blue ray, and cell type processor.

Every next gen console is supposed to be better than high end PC's before they ship. That's what always is said. Didn't we just go through this with the Xbox 360? Before that, with the PS2. It has never been true so far.

I wouldn't expect it will be true with the PS3 either.

Just like the 360 the PS3 will be limited by it's intended displays.....TV's

However it's ability to do 1080p or dual HDTV's @ 720p is kind of impressive compared to the other 2 consoles.

PS3 or Xbox360 beating my:
AMD 4000+ San Diego 1 mb chache overclock to 3.4ghz liquid
2x BFG 7800GTX's
1GB OCZ PC-4800 Platinum limited
510 PC P&C Powersupply

?

hahah. Ive seen the xbox360 and played it. Im not that impressed. My computers graphics still own it.

ellover009 said:
that information has nothing to do how well ill do. PS3 is not even out and u are trying to compare something thats not even out to something that is now. 7800gtx might not beat it, but by the time PS3 comes out winter 06-spring 07 direct x10 cards will be out and will be comparable. But if u wanna know if ill kick ass, yes, blue ray, and cell type processor.

It's coming out in spring 2006, the hardware was finalised months ago, its CPU power is being vastly overhyped, and the GPU will be equal to a 7800GTX at best.

Now shut up, all of you. ;)

I'm actually getting sick of the console vs. PC crap, myself. Let me break it down a bit from my point of view.

At first release, a console will deliver the FPS over many configs of PCs, running games.

The games a console plays, and the applications on a console are DESIGNED FOR THE CONSOLE. Games are specifically tailored to take advantage of every single aspect of the console. It's a gaming device, and the games are designed to be the best for that gaming device.

An Xbox 360 will never run Maya, nor will it run winzip as efficiently as a PC will. However, it will run an Xbox 360 copy of CoD2 better than your current PC, for the first couple of months.

Imagine this. The XBox 360 has a specific graphics card made for it. Microsoft walked up to ATi, and said "Hey guys, I want you to take our 360, and I want you to design a graphics chip that will basically be part of the system, and since you don't have to worry about anything else than making this as fast as possible, and you don't have to worry about compatability issues with any other games, it's pretty much streamlined. Make the chip physically attached to every aspect of this machine."

With consoles, when the Xbox came out originally, not many machines could match it, because PCs are so subjective. They are expandable, flexable, and do countless things. An Xbox, all it has to do, is play games. It doesn't have to worry about upgrading a CPU, it doesn't need to worry about flashing the bios. For a few months, a 360 will dust many PCs in FPS rate, but in a few months, the 360 will go the way of the XBox, and a PC will be able to compete, if not run the same games better than the 360. It always happens.

Everyone needs to shut up about the console vs. PC BS, because it's apples and oranges.

turbineS-line

I think with the PS3 adn Xbox360 supporting HDTV we will have a more equal comparison of console to PC than we had in the past. 1280x768 (or whatever it is) is kinda in between a monitor and a regular TV. At least they are being forced to do more than 480x320, regular tv resolution i think.

turbineS-line said:
Everyone needs to shut up about the console vs. PC BS, because it's apples and oranges.

turbineS-line

You could have set the precedent.

Hobbit89 said:
From what i remember from the E3 coverage on G4 it will have something "equilivent" to a 7800 SLI setup (they didnt specify whether or not it was GT or GTX) although it is also a "custom deal" too. I think the PS3 will be far more powerfull than the average computer, and less than 10% or so better than Very High-end desktops at launch, but a year after, No way! Take a look at the Killzone II trailer (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/index.html?q=Kill zone 2) it is suposedly running in REAL-TIME and is still only using 1 (maybe 2) of the 7 total cores on the Cell processor (yes its the processor, not the GPU). So in my opinion, the PS3 will be the most POWERFULL console, Revolution will be the most kidd-friendly and inovative, and the 360 will be inbetween and best Price/preformance/versitile console.

(and just a reminder, this is all from my memory and mostly rummors)

No, the developers have said that is a pre-rendered video.

What do PCs have that consoles don't? Upgradability.

Do I really need to say anything else?

turbineS-line said:
An Xbox 360 will never run Maya, nor will it run winzip as efficiently as a PC will. However, it will run an Xbox 360 copy of CoD2 better than your current PC, for the first couple of months.

No, it won't. When it runs 1900x1200 16Xaa, 16xAF at higher sustained framerates than my pc, THEN and ONLY then will a console game better than my computer. If I tell my computer to run games at 1080x720 or whatever low res that the consoles use, my 3.5ghz 1mb cache opteron will tear through them at several hundred frames per second, with 16X SLI AA and 16xAF on.

That's your computer, he was saying that the next generation consoles will out perfrom most computers, not every computer...

Besides...the next generation consoles are what, 5x less in price than your 'powerful' computer. If I can get that much performance at the same price as a high end videocard, I will.

PC's will be as always technically more capable, but limited by content until well into the mid-cycle of this new console generation. I wonder if people will be discussing this stuff when I'm 80. I sure hope not. That's a long ways away.

Michigan PC said:
Sony said themselves that tthe graphics power of the ps3 will be comprable to a 6800 ultra sli setup...

I will stick with my 7800 gtx build

I highly doubt Killzone II is running off a SLI 6800 (last gen. tech) setup...IF thats real-time. I see nVidia doing an approach like ATI did with the 360....unified shaders, etc.

Lord...I can about picture a "console graphics" war between ATI and nVidia now...

On a side note, all of those presentation videos look pre-rendered.

computerpro3 said:

Way to brag much?

TehRoflcopter said:
Way to brag much?

Actually, I was just stating my specs and how I find it humorous that people think a $500 machine will beat it.

If i wanted to brag, I would have included the following

1 terrabyte of hard drive space including a 300GB portable,
Coolermaster ATC-101B custom modded with 120mm fans
the fact that my psu has factory modifications done to it including external pots mounted on a 3 foot wire, and the fact that my phase change has over $500 of mods alone in it.
My dell 2005 FPW widescreen, the 5 7800GT and GTX boxes I have on my shelf and the 2 3800+ dual cores, etc, etc.

Trust me, I wasnt bragging.

But lets stay on topic. Or, better yet, close this pointless thread.

computerpro3 said:
Actually, I was just stating my specs and how I find it humurous that people think a $500 machine will beat it.

the fact that my psu has factory modifications done to it including external pots mounted on a 3 foot wire, and the fact that my phase change has over $500 of mods alone in it.
My dell 2005 FPW widescreen, the 5 7800GT and GTX boxes I have on my shelf and the 2 3800+ dual cores, etc, etc.

But lets stay on topic. Or, better yet, close the thread.
:rolleyes:

J-M-E said:
OMFG 120mm PHANZ?!?!?!?

do they have LEDs?

The rest of your stuff sucks.

you said:
PS3 or Xbox360 beating my:
AMD 4000+ San Diego 1 mb chache overclock to 3.4ghz liquid
2x BFG 7800GTX's
1GB OCZ PC-4800 Platinum limited
510 PC P&C Powersupply

shrug...destroys yours :)

especially since you outright lied about your overclock, unless the liquid is Ln2 :)

computerpro3 said:
Actually, I was just stating my specs and how I find it humurous that people think a $500 machine will beat it.

But lets stay on topic.
Quoted for typical pissing contest lover.

Anyway. Like I was saying. Aside from commander badass over there, the $500 dollar machine will outpace many machines out there, for a period of time.

How can you spot the pissing contest? When a poster takes a post as a personal attack on his overspent machine which he/she takes far too much pride in, even when the topic is talking about the computer industry as a whole.

On topic:
When I was explaining the 360 will outpace many machines, I didn't mean NSA-class CRAY machines, Mid-orbit sat systems launched into space by NASA, or even commander badass' personal machine, but aside from directed comparisons, I'm saying the 500 dollar machine will churn out more FPS than many machines on this forum, and at a fraction of the price they spent on their machines. The XBox, as I said, is a specialty machine, and a PC is a general machine. The PC is good at everything, and can be the best at everything, but an XBox 360 is designed to be the best at 3D Gaming.

Like I said, it's apples and oranges. Do I care that a 500 dollar machine can pump out higher FPS on CoD2 than my machine? Not really, because my envy all goes away when I fire up photoshop, multitask with CAD software, and have five full-conversations on AIM, Yahoo, and MSN. It doesn't bother me too much, really.

People who want to compare a console to a PC need to let it drop, because it's a useless conversational bit, and I'm actually dead inside, seeing that so many people actually consider a console vs. PC thread something to actually comment on, as far as "OH YA MY PC BEATS XBOX" or "XBOX OWNS THE WORLD GRAPHIX" BS.

For anyone looking for a reason to get pissed off at this post, or just another chance to justify why they've spent well-over 3,000 dollars on their home-built, let it go. ;)

turbineS-line

exe163 said:
I heard in some place saids PS3 have 2 7800 and more powerful chip inside running in
The first couple of series of Dev kits had SLIed 6800Us in them, they've since moved on to a single 7800GTX.

uhh, no, the ps3 is not better than my machine, maybe video at the moment, but dual opterons would kick the crap out of it...

and even then , who cares, you cant do anything with it! its a console!

thats like having a 500hp v16 toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back