PS3 Demand?

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
I went into a major electronics retailer this week and just on a lark asked if they had a ps3. I'm not really in the market, but ebay is always a possibility. The guy said they didn't have any, but the most interesting thing is that he told me they sold the last of 6 they had just that morning, and the others had all sat on the shelf for 4 days without being sold.

It's the same with people I know who work at gamestop and EB...they say people are calling 24/7 about the Wii, but nobody asks about the ps3. Given that the ps3 is still sold out in lots of areas,still selling on ebay, I would never say those ps3's sat unbought due to lack of demand, or that people aren't calling about the ps3 because nobody wants one....

So what is it? It seems to me people must just be assuming that there are no ps3's anywhere, so why go out and look, why call and ask? So even though tons of people want them....people are just assuming they can't get one, and consequently...around here at least, you can find them in stores if you're lucky.

Kind of a wierd phenomenon.

Definitely. I was in my Gamestop two days ago around 6:00PM and they had two 60GB PS3s. I asked the guy and he said they had been there all day. Strangely though, both of them were sold within the 15 minutes I was in the store... That was the second time that I had gone into the store and there were at least 2 PS3s there.

Part of this is the issue with having other consoles available when yours isn't... but most of it is the fact that people just give up and will look again when there's a big news story saying they are available.

there's a large difference between a few being available and 100's of them collecting dust in a storeroom.

people don't think they are available when the media is telling them they aren't. i don't care enough to check/call stores everyday. i'll walk into a store and get one at my leisure after the new years.

i went to my local walmart yesterday to pick up a movie and some sales guy haggled with me for about 15 mins trying to sell me a 60gb ps3. I tried to get a price drop, but of course i didnt get it =P......im not in the market, but it never hurts to ask! I think its odd that they had 1, given that it isnt a super walmart and that our walmart has jack shit in stock.

i dont see why any1 would actually want a Ps3 right now...all the kids and overhyped !!!!!!s have one, but if you actually think about it there are absolutely no games out for it right now to justify buying one. although it does seem strange that there were some just lying around....

I think the hype of the PS3 has died down quite a bit. Unfortuantaly, a large percentage of the people who got launch day PS3's bought them to turn a quick profit on ebay, and since the PS3 has a higher price tag than a lot of people are accustomed to paying for a game console to begin with, the willingness of people to pay substantially more on ebay dropped pretty quickly (relative to past console launches). I've actually read about people who have returned PS3's to stores since ebaying isn't really worth it anymore (much moreso with the 20g's).

I was one of the people looking around for one after launch (without success), but have since decieded to wait a while. I'm sure others are doing the same.

I think a lot has to do with being at the right place at the right time. If I could find one I would purchase the 60gb but no luck so far. I went to best buy at around 1pm, they told me they sold 3 at around 10.30am, sold em withing minutes. I think it's mostly because when the systems come in people are usually working and when they come in they don't look for it because they go fast. It's funny I went to Circuit City they have a few decoy boxes with nothing on it, a 14yr kid ran for it then he was yelling YEAH, I GOT ONE.

You'll start to see this more and more. The bottom line is most regular people just aren't going to pay that much for a gaming system. Ain't gonna happen

Sony needs to drop the price or they are going to be in a world of hurt, mark my words.

Although I think that the price point is hurting Sony, I think the major reason you see them on shelves is probably because most people have given up looking for a PS3, at least for time being.

All you hear about are people ebaying them for profit, not being able to find them anywhere, and I think many people have become discouraged to the point where they'll wait until 2007 to begin looking.

Timbowens said:
You'll start to see this more and more. The bottom line is most regular people just aren't going to pay that much for a gaming system. Ain't gonna happen

Sony needs to drop the price or they are going to be in a world of hurt, mark my words.

When the supply gets up there, the price will drop. In the mean time, there isn't much point to dropping the price (unless you want chronic shortages for the next year).

PikachuMan said:
When the supply gets up there, the price will drop. In the mean time, there isn't much point to dropping the price (unless you want chronic shortages for the next year).

When they're losing around $300 per console at the moment? In my opinion the price isn't going anywhere significant for at least a few years.

Well, since they don't have a killer app and don't offer any different gaming experience over the 360 like the wii does I think interest has dropped off for now. Maybe when they get some decent games but then it might be to late.

molson3530 said:
Definitely. I was in my Gamestop two days ago around 6:00PM and they had two 60GB PS3s. I asked the guy and he said they had been there all day. Strangely though, both of them were sold within the 15 minutes I was in the store... That was the second time that I had gone into the store and there were at least 2 PS3s there.

I was in a gamestop about 2 hours ago, checking out the Wii titles, and a guy came to the counter and asked if they had any Wii's. "No, but we have a couple of 60GB PS3's and a 20GB in stock!" The guy chuckled and said "No thanks" and left the store.

Back