PS3 Dropping PS2 Chips, Adding Another?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The other day we told you that Sony is dropping the PS2 chips from the PS3 in favor of software emulation. According to this Reuters report, Sony is actually pulling the PS2 chips, adding a cheaper chip to handle the graphics combined with software emulation to allow the older games to run on the PS3. Huh?!?

Unlike the PS3 being sold in the United States and Japan, the European version will not carry a Sony-made microchip that offers graphic- and data-processing functions for PS2 games, cutting production costs, said a spokesman for game unit Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE). The console will still be equipped with a different chip that processes graphics for PS2 games, but the backward compatibility of the machine will be lessened.

Yeah, way back when, Sony was touting that their console would be fully backwards compatible, while the Xbox 360 would only be compatible with some games. Fancy that...

IDK, but how much money are they really saving, what about the costs of creating software emulation and the hours going into it to make sure games work compared to just keeping the PS2 chip?

Seems like they should have worked this stuff out before they shipped the PS3s.

Consoles always go through revisions as a means of cutting cost. Sony thinks the job can be done for less and without the EE. We can only wait and see what happens.

I get the feeling Sony is in for a CEO restructure as they have been shaky lately in their business decisions. (my unprofessional opinion.)

They really shouldn't lessen backwards compatability and should offer one that wont play ps2 games at all for a cheaper price creating 3 price points, giving Europeans more choices. They hardly sell at all now, as it is.

But what do i know, I don't deal with those kinds of decisions :)

Consoles always go through revisions as a means of cutting cost. Sony thinks the job can be done for less and without the EE. We can only wait and see what happens.

Yes, but this seems like a pretty basic issue, and I think they should have worked it out before they shipped it.

I really like this blurb

"(the cell) which provides lifelike graphics and high-speed downloading of game software and video clips."

Sony is really not making some great decisions.

lol how does a processor help your download speeds? Its not like we are talking 486 to P4 here lol

I get the feeling Sony is in for a CEO restructure as they have been shaky lately in their business decisions. (my unprofessional opinion.)

They really shouldn't lessen backwards compatability and should offer one that wont play ps2 games at all for a cheaper price creating 3 price points, giving Europeans more choices. They hardly sell at all now, as it is.

But what do i know, I don't deal with those kinds of decisions :)

you mean another one right?
they already ousted Ken

I would love to sit down with an SEC engineer and designer and ask just what they were thinking?

So the PS3 has the EE chip that was in the PS2 for backwards compatibility... yet the system in that state doesn't even have 100% full backwards compatibility.

The Emotion Engine chip is still a big unknown as to what it does and what it has exactly and to my knowledge it was completely developed by Sony and they have all the information on it. Secondly Sony has long before conception touted the PS3 as a extremely powerful system, with its graphics ability and cell processor. Although it could somewhat affect compatibility it would seem that having all the technical information about a particular chip let alone the entire system would make it a great candidate on a new and extremely powerful platform.

Was it no possibly to fully emulate the ps2 with all of the combined power of the ps3 completely in software? I believe that over time it would even allow greater flexibility in terms of compatibility because you have the ability to change it.

I don't know, the move to include the EE in the PS3 just seems like an all around bad idea. What is interesting is that it still will be emulated with another chip, its just that the emulation won't be 100%, this change however I think will have a bigger impact later on because now there are two different sets of hardware that don't have the same architecture. I'd love to see the specs of the newer cheaper chip though.

Yes, but this seems like a pretty basic issue, and I think they should have worked it out before they shipped it.

Bingo.

It would have been 100% better - cheaper to say:

BAH! Microsoft has backwards compatibility through software emulation on 200 titles? I shit 200 titles in the morning! We will do 1000 titles through emulation...and you will work harder, longer for it!

They could've beat MS at their own game simply because they have a game library 10x - 20x larger, had bragging rights and saved money. Instead, some genius said:

We will be 100% backwards compatible...quick, make a motherboard that has a PS3 and a PS2 built on it!

Ugh... :confused:

Basically just like how the Inqurier sad it dev's will have to code for essentailly 2 different hardware since they will have different bugs when it comes to compatibility (Thus defeating the biggest advantage of consoles). Throw that on top of CELL which is one mofo of a chip to code for.

Oh it must be such a joy to be a PS3 game dev. I offer my condolences.

Well, this just proves that Sony is ditching us europeans (I'm from DK)... Not only must we wait longer for the console - we'll get a shitty version as well.

With the competition supplying better consoles, cheaper, sooner and with more features - the choice is quite simple IMO.
Thanks Sony for nothing.

isnt this in EU?

and wasnt there a restriction that said sony could have these chips?

Back