PS3 Fan never quiets down

sanders4617

Weaksauce
I just bought a PS3 40GB from online used. It works great and fine. The only thing is the fan will kick on really loud as soon as I start a video or play a game. And it will never quiet down unless I turn off PS3 and turn it back on... then it starts when I do something again.

It has plenty of ventilation. Is this a fault PS3? Is this normal? I got a really good price on it.. so I'd like to keep it if nothing is really wrong with it.

My PS3 does the same thing. After playing a game for a bit, the fans start getting REALLY loud.

Doesn't sound right. Try the fan clean trick.....take any disc out, turn the rocker switch off at the back, press and hold the eject and turn the rocker back on, let go of eject when you hear a few beeps. The fans will go ape shit for about 10 seconds then it'll power off.

Should shake out any dust inside.

In my last home, I used to run my ps3 upright outside of the media center. Never had a fan issue then.

In my new home with the ps3 in the media center, the fans run full speed after about 10 minutes of on time, even at idle. What's strange is that my buddy has the exact same media center and his house feels even warmer than mine. I ended fixing the problem by taking the ps3 out of the media center and putting it under. Looks a little dumb if you're paying attention, but doesn't bother me.

Maybe I just need to dust mine off?

I have an 80GB version and so does he.

If its hot the fan will get loud even if u dont play.. at least for me even if i blowed it clean from dust it still goes very high.

Hmm. I just played it for a few minutes this morning before work.. and the fan got loud after 5 minutes of playing. My room isn't that hot. My computer seems to have great temps and its in a more enclosed area than the PS3. Its kind of annoying to say the least... but if it works, I am happy.

oh man i reeeeeeallly tought this was a baiting thread about ps3 FANboi ...

It's due to dust buildup inside the system. Mine was doing the same thing after about 10 months. I opened it up, scooped out the horrible mess of solid dust inside and now it runs quietly like it did when I first bought it.

It's pretty stupid that performing routine maintenance like cleaning out dust voids your warranty though. Using that 'fan trick' can actually lodge the dust even harder into your PS3. Only in combination with physically removing the dust by taking the system apart would I call that a good idea.

Yes, but that might actually push the dust in even deeper, depending on how skillful you are with spraying air and how often you do it.

I think I've had my ps3 for like a year.... not sure actually.. but I can tell you have no issues with the fans and noise. It's a 40GB model

Mine has done this since I got it last year in March, but only while watching Blu-ray movies. I have a 40gb model.

Well I bought mine used so I gues the warranty is voided anyway. The controller.. cables.. even the bluray dvd it came with was brand new though. Actually.. it all looks brand new. I look at the vents and they look very clean.... does that still mean there could be dust in there?

I vaccum the vents this morning.

The only time my Ps3's fan ever got loud was when I accidently left or turned my PS3 on and the entertainment center's door was closed. I woke up to a really loud sound and it sounded like a jet engine... haha. I quickly unplugged it and put it aside. But it was really hot in there with only one hole in the back for ventilation (where the wires go out). So it was understandable that it was as loud as it was. But, if the door's open I don't even hear my PS3. It's really quiet. I would call customer care, but then again I have a launch console and perhaps the newer ones are a little different with temperature control or fan control... idk.

I woke up to a really loud sound and it sounded like a jet engine... haha. I quickly unplugged it and put it aside.

I wouldn't just unplug it if the fan was screaming, because that heat is still built up inside the case. Maybe I'm paranoid, but when I'm playing my PS3 for any length of time, after I'm done, I always let it idle on the XMB for a few minutes before shutting it off.

I have a launch system too, and it has never given me any problems. The newer models do use less electricity and make less heat, but they also have cheaper cooling.

In my experience with consumer electronics, heavy=good.

P.S. I think the "fan test" option was removed a couple firmwares ago, but don't quote me.

The fan test still works, but I think they said you shouldn't use it as a "cleaning method". If it isn't in the manual, you probably shouldn't be messing with it a lot.

My PS3 is starting to bump up the fans as well. I only find this happens usually when the room temperature is around 77-78F. Best way to clean the dust out which may help the overheating issue is to use a low powered vacuum and suck through the intake and exhausts.

Back