PS3 folding question

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
I just acquired an original 60GB PS3(the best one :D) anyway I was wondering how hard it would be on the hardware to fold, I mean if it ends up killing it I'd rather not fold on it.

Last edited:
My slim has been folding since the day it came out with breaks in between to watch movies and has never locked up

not hard to fold on them...... if you run them 24/7 they can get quite dusty, at least mine does..... just keep a can of air handy and you should be fine

I ran my 40GB for a couple months 24/7. They handle the load pretty well.

I folded on mine 24/7 for a couple years with no issue.

They hold up fine, folding doesn't really stress the system much as far as I've heard. The client doesn't really take full advantage of the power so the PPD is low (900 ish) meanwhile the thing eats electricity like a fat kid at an all you can eat buffet during "kids eat free on the weekend" time.

I let mine go for a few days before deciding the power requirement and heat output wasn't worth it....obviously your thoughts may differ. ;)

They hold up fine, folding doesn't really stress the system much as far as I've heard. The client doesn't really take full advantage of the power so the PPD is low (900 ish) meanwhile the thing eats electricity like a fat kid at an all you can eat buffet during "kids eat free on the weekend" time.

I let mine go for a few days before deciding the power requirement and heat output wasn't worth it....obviously your thoughts may differ. ;)

good to hear, as for the electric bill please refer to the below link :D

I dont think my renter likes me anymore

I used to own a 40Gb PS3 (original design) and folded for over 1 year before selling it. It never had problems so you would be fine folding on it.

However, keep in mind it's not the best way to fold in terms of power efficiency since you get 900-1100 ppd for over 100w while you can get more with a quad-core or a nice GPU for the same power envelope.

I just acquired an original 60GB PS3(the best one :D) anyway I was wondering how hard it would be on the hardware to fold, I mean if it ends up killing it I'd rather not fold on it.

if it's a launch 20/60gb PS3, i'd be a little wary of folding on it since they're kinda valuable and Sony doesn't make them anymore. you'd want to prolong it's life as long as possible. from what i've read, the PPD->watt ratio is horrendous compared to what you could get with GPU or SMP folding

if it's a launch 20/60gb PS3, i'd be a little wary of folding on it since they're kinda valuable and Sony doesn't make them anymore. you'd want to prolong it's life as long as possible. from what i've read, the PPD->watt ratio is horrendous compared to what you could get with GPU or SMP folding

thats what I mean, its the launch 60GB, i think I'll just keep folding for my i7 920

I add my PS3 to my folding garden for about 1 year. It worked well and survived. To battle the dust buildup, I periodically used the boot-up trick to run the fan(s) at high speed. Here's a link:

Because the points/kW were not great, I now reserve the PS3 for Rock Band, Blue Rays, and viewing my collection of digital photos.

Back