PS3 for $130.....is it worth it?

Sovern

Limp Gawd
There's a guy on Craigslist that is selling his PS3 fat 80GB model with a dual shock controller in perfect working condition for $130. I was just curious as to whether this is a really good deal as I know that I can add external laptop hard drives and that it can play older PS2 games which are two huge pluses.

I want to get to play MGS4 and the Uncharted Series and other great games too but I'm wondering if I should snag this one up or wait to try and get an even better deal.

Lately I've been doing a lot of photography (what I mainly use my computer for) and I'm only using a HD4650, AMD Athlon X2 Regor at 3.2GHz and 4 GB of DDR3.

I play games like Dark Souls and Torchlight on it but I don't find myself playing as many newer PC games on it that are hard on the graphics card so I'm having trouble deciding between upgrading my graphics card to a HD6850 or snagging a PS3 for cheap and picking up those titles that I want to play for the cheap on my HDMI ready Asus 23 1080 LCD.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I wish all the best.

If it works perfectly yes it is should be backward compatible too lots of awesome PS2 games to be had on the cheap at GameStop.

130 is a good price. worth it just to play the uncharted games and last of us

Great price. Sony just released a ton of packs to look into also, like God of War Saga that has all 5 games or Infamous double pack.

Do you already have a Blu ray player? It's a good deal even if you already do, but it's a great deal if you don't.

Check and see if the warranty seal is broken. A lot of phat PS3's had YLOD heat issues similar to RRoD. If this one had it and was "fixed" I would not buy it.

Check and see if the warranty seal is broken. A lot of phat PS3's had YLOD heat issues similar to RRoD. If this one had it and was "fixed" I would not buy it.

Doesn't mean it ylod I broke the seal on one just to clean out dog hair and clean the laser lens and the seal doesn't mean shit since any fat will be out of warranty by now. And it would never be worth sending into Sony anyway since the repair would be almost as much as buying a new one

Doesn't mean it ylod I broke the seal on one just to clean out dog hair and clean the laser lens and the seal doesn't mean shit since any fat will be out of warranty by now. And it would never be worth sending into Sony anyway since the repair would be almost as much as buying a new one

I'm just saying I would not buy an opened fat PS3 due to the amount ylod issues that have affected them. A lot of people out there will get a ylod, do a temp fix with a heat gun and then dump it on craigslist.

not worth it. It may only work a short time. mine died after very little use after 4 years. (only 2 hours/week for movies max).

But I guess that's a few hundred hours.

I hardly used my PS3 60GB fat and its starting to die as well. It starts to artifact during video playback like blu-ray or streaming video.

If you don't care about PS2 compatibility get a newer PS3.

hmmm... if you have a blu ray, i say go for the 6850. I went from a 4850 512mb to 6850 and its a huge jump. Which the 4850 was already a big jump from 4670 that i innitially bought for the pc.

I'd say go for it, and when you get a chance to look at it, if it has 4 USB ports, definitely get it, as it has PS2 compatibility.

If the warranty sticker is broken, he could of just opened it to clean it. If it isn't broken, check the opposite side and the back to see if the plastic is melted or warped looking. There is a hair dryer fix that sort of "re-flows" the solder so it could work anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 weeks. Ask him if he's ever heard of the YLOD, why he is selling it, etc. etc.

I just got an even better deal, I talked a guy down to $80 on his 80GB PS3 fat without controller or games. Am going to pick it up later on, thanks guys.

A PS3 is worth the full retail price, especially considering you get the brand new model with 250GB hard drive AND Uncharted 3 for $270.

If you got the money its a great deal. But you may be able to find a better deal on these forums.

Back