PS3 Media Server and Internet Bandwidth

Oohah

Weaksauce
Does copying files from my laptop to the PS3 using PS3 Media Server will eat my internet bandwidth? Both my laptop and PS3 are connected wirelessly to the same router.

Thanks for answering.

Sorry for my complete noobness but does a ISP usually set a limit (depending on your plan) for network bandwidth like they usually do with download/upload bandwidth?

Thanks for the answer! :)

No.

If you unplug your cable from your modem but leave all the PCs connected to your router you can still swap files, transcode over your network, etc.

It is all 'Internal' where visiting a web site, downloading youtube videos could be considered 'external' or hitting your Internet bandwidth.

Sorry for my complete noobness but does a ISP usually set a limit (depending on your plan) for network bandwidth like they usually do with download/upload bandwidth?

Thanks for the answer! :)

Some providers do, some dont. Some have plans that are restricted but then plans that aren't. Usually the basic plans tend to be limited and the higher end plans aren't. When I had mediacom it was 400gigs a month for 3 months and they called you to see wtf you were doing. After upgrading to their next tier I never got a phone call regardless of bandwith usage. I think with more and more video streaming sites, there is starting to be less limitations on bandwith.

I think with more and more video streaming sites, there is starting to be less limitations on bandwith.

Not so with Comcast. :p

As the others have said, what you are talking about is done on your "internal" network and thus will not use your ISP's bandwidth.

Some providers do, some dont. Some have plans that are restricted but then plans that aren't. Usually the basic plans tend to be limited and the higher end plans aren't. When I had mediacom it was 400gigs a month for 3 months and they called you to see wtf you were doing. After upgrading to their next tier I never got a phone call regardless of bandwith usage. I think with more and more video streaming sites, there is starting to be less limitations on bandwith.

This is not for the internal network though. Only traffic that goes out to the tubes

Does copying files from my laptop to the PS3 using PS3 Media Server will eat my internet bandwidth? Both my laptop and PS3 are connected wirelessly to the same router.

Thanks for answering.

No, your ISP has no way of knowing what you are doing on your internal network.

However, since all traffic has to go through your internal network before it reaches the internet, your internet may appear to be slow. You will be taxing your router at this point as it is the central location for all your network traffic.

No, your ISP has no way of knowing what you are doing on your internal network.

However, since all traffic has to go through your internal network before it reaches the internet, your internet may appear to be slow. You will be taxing your router at this point as it is the central location for all your network traffic.

This is where a dual-band router come in handy. One band can be dedicated to internal network while the other for internet traffic, such as this: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681

That is where gigabit ethernet comes in handy. =) Wireless sucks.

PS3 media server is awesome in gigabit ethernet...On wireless its usable but not fun when you want to fast forward / jump ahead and backward 30 sec/1 min at a time using the PS3 thumbnail (I think it's the square button).

That is where gigabit ethernet comes in handy. =) Wireless sucks.

PS3 media server is awesome in gigabit ethernet...On wireless its usable but not fun when you want to fast forward / jump ahead and backward 30 sec/1 min at a time using the PS3 thumbnail (I think it's the square button).

No argument from me. Sometimes wireless is more convenient though.

wow, thanks for all the response guys! I really really appreciate it!!!

I just bought a new hard drive for my ps3 and im copying around 100gb worth of files onto it through ps3 media server,,,I was kinda worried because my download bandwidth limit is 100GB/month (Videotron---I live in Quebec)...

So if I get this straight, my download/upload bandwidth limit will not be affected since the copying process is done over the network. That's excellent!!!

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again! :)

Run a cable to your PS3. It's much better that way. Especially those 100GB transfers.

Dustin

Run a cable to your PS3. It's much better that way. Especially those 100GB transfers.

Dustin

Yeah I guess the process would be much faster. What kind of cable would I need? A crossover ethernet cable from the laptop to PS3?

Yeah I guess the process would be much faster. What kind of cable would I need? A crossover ethernet cable from the laptop to PS3?

That would work; or a normal cable for your ps3 and another normal cable for the laptop, both going to the router.

Just curious as to what kind of transfer speeds you guys get when moving over large files like that. I only manage to get 70-80Mbps and thats through a gigabit router.

connect both to the router with "normal" straight though cables, not to each other.

Last edited:
Just curious as to what kind of transfer speeds you guys get when moving over large files like that. I only manage to get 70-80Mbps and thats through a gigabit router.

Depends on what is moving to what,...

If you have a wired PC going to a wireless N client, then you can get 150-200 Mbps.

If you have 2 wireless clients transferring to each other, say a wireless laptop to a wireless PS3, then there are 4 total hops required which suck all that bandwidth up. So 70-80 Mbps (8-10 MBytes/sec)

If you are xfering from one wired PC to another wired device (PC, PS3, etc) on a gigabit switch (and its a good gigabit switch and not a cheap one) then you should be getting around 900 Mbps (110-120 MB/sec), but the bottleneck in this situation is the speed of your hard drives, most new consumer grade drives can read at between 80 and 100 MB/sec depending on how full and fragmented they are, but the kicker is that they can only write at around 60-80 MB/sec, so in most situations the write speed of the drive that is receiving is the limiting factor of the transfer.

Back