PS3 on my brothers LCD monitor not working

dwilson041781

[H]ard|Gawd
my samsung 216bw works fine, not sure why his samsung 931b wont display anything, the hdmi to dvi works perfect on my monitor, Im wondering if its cause his monitor isnt widescreen or is it cause his monitor possibly doesnt have HDCP?, not even 100% sure what Hdcp is all about other than when watching movies, it being protected.

my samsung 216bw works fine, not sure why his samsung 931b wont display anything, the hdmi to dvi works perfect on my monitor, Im wondering if its cause his monitor isnt widescreen or is it cause his monitor possibly doesnt have HDCP?, not even 100% sure what Hdcp is all about other than when watching movies, it being protected.

Monitors have to have HDCP if you are hooking up a PS3 to it -- the PS3 uses the content protection flag all the time, not just when playing movies.

I'm not sure about that... My PS3 is hooked up to my 2407 through component (DVI occupied and don't want analog PC or a DVI switch) running at 720p. According to specs, only DVI has HDCP, not component.

I'm not sure what's going on with OP, but have you tried plugging it into a normal TV first through composite, lowering the resolution to 480x, then moving it back to the PC? Saw this suggested somewhere. If yes, then you could double check the settings (i.e. got the right input selected), plug and unplug the monitor.

Does your monitor provide feedback light "Input resolution out of range"?

I'm not sure about that... My PS3 is hooked up to my 2407 through component (DVI occupied and don't want analog PC or a DVI switch) running at 720p. According to specs, only DVI has HDCP, not component.

I'm not sure what's going on with OP, but have you tried plugging it into a normal TV first through composite, lowering the resolution to 480x, then moving it back to the PC? Saw this suggested somewhere. If yes, then you could double check the settings (i.e. got the right input selected), plug and unplug the monitor.

Does your monitor provide feedback light "Input resolution out of range"?

Exactly. Component doesn't have HDCP because it's analog. However, it sounds like the OP's brother can only hook it up through DVI, so whether or not it works through component is a moot point!

To reset the PS3's video settings back to default, turn off the system first, then hold down on the power on button until it beeps twice -- should take about 3 seconds of holding it down. It should then default to 480p and let you change settings from there. If it doesn't work after resetting the video settings, then it must be an HDCP problem.

This the problem I'm having with my 2407, before I was able to get a signal from the PS3 over DVI but now I can't. I can get the PC over DVI fine but not the PS3. I tried the PS3 on a Viewsonic VA1912w display and it didn't work but then I couldn't get the PC to work on it via DVI. The PS3 can still detect the HDMI device but I get no signal.

The PS3 comes with an A/V cable that outputs composite video (single yellow cable, not Component). You can have both the A/V cable and the HDMI cable attached at the same time (I do). Plug the A/V cable into the PS3, then the composite output on the other end into the 2407 and see if you see anything on the composite input when the PS3's on.

Once you have composite working, you can switch to HDMI from the PS3's display menu. Then just flip over to DVI-D on the 2407.

The PS3 comes with an A/V cable that outputs composite video (single yellow cable, not Component). You can have both the A/V cable and the HDMI cable attached at the same time (I do). Plug the A/V cable into the PS3, then the composite output on the other end into the 2407 and see if you see anything on the composite input when the PS3's on.

Once you have composite working, you can switch to HDMI from the PS3's display menu. Then just flip over to DVI-D on the 2407.

I got component working fine but with the picture quality of the 2407 sucks I want to use HDMI. So I'm hoping to buy an HD Fury and see if that works.

Back