PS3 Price Cut Confirmed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony Computer Entertainment America, contradicting statements made by the company president on Friday, just confirmed the $100 price drop on the 60GB model. Sony also announced a new 80GB version for $599 that comes with a free copy of Motorstorm.

In an AP story, Sony spokesperson David Karraker touched on the company's goal for this week's E3 event. The company's focus during the show will be on "ways to increase the number of consumers who own PS3s and other products such as the PlayStation Portable handheld system, and expanding the system's library of available games," according to the report.

So they are dropping the price on the 60GB model to $499, then releasing another version for $599?

Isn't this how it was in the beginning with the 20GB model and 60GB model? :confused:

Doesn't seem like much of an incentive to buy one...

Well, there was a price difference between the two models when it came out, however the lesser model's functions were ripped out (memory cards, & wi-fi I believe). The only difference this time is hard-drive size.

Now had they still had the smaller model I might be interested (drools at a 399 or cheaper ps3 ;))

Now had they still had the smaller model I might be interested (drools at a 399 or cheaper ps3 ;))

Agreed. Drop the price down around $400 and release some decent games and I'll take the bait. If the Transformers movie comes out only on BD (hope not though), I'll probably get one anyway, even if it's a used 20GB from Craigslist.

P.S.: Sony, you really didn't catch anybody by surprise with this price drop.

You guys have now 3 postings with the same information..... can you at least lock the other two?

Well, there was a price difference between the two models when it came out, however the lesser model's functions were ripped out (memory cards, & wi-fi I believe). The only difference this time is hard-drive size.

The 80GB also comes with Motorstorm, so you're getting a retail $60 game plus an added 20GB of hard drive space over the 60GB model.

Not bad really.

Granted I've had my PS3 for months and love it, and I'm prepping to put in a 200GB drive in mine very shortly. :D

OMG! A price drop on a PS3! I still won't waste my money on one! Hehe jk, I would get one if i had money to burn but one nex-gen console is enough I think, blu-ray would be pretty sweet though

Hopefully the eurozone price drop won't be too far behind.

I'd also be surprised if there isn't more incentive stuff with packaged games towards the end of the year.

I forsee a GTA4 Package XBox for the $499 come October.

Once the PS3 is down to the $400 range or lower then I will be interested. Too bad they shot themselves in the foot by killing off the 20GB model. They got rid of it because they weren't selling, but they were never in stock anywhere, only the 60GB models were, so no wonder they weren't selling.

Once the limited edition Motorstorm bundle expires I don't think the 80GB SKU will cost $100. Heck knowing Sony the 80GB will drop to $499 and replace the 60GB SKU.

Rumors are flying that the 20GB will also include an HDMI cable and a six axis with rumble, but those are still just rumors.

I don't know if the 20GB would be at $399 if it was still around as the component cost for the 20GB wasn't too much less that the 60GB.

As far as games, they are coming. Stay tuned this week for E3; I think this year will be great in terms of games for the PS3. IIRC a demo will be released this month for one of the more highly anticipated titles.

Throwing a game in and 20 gigs extra space for 100 bucks still seems a little high.

Prefer how ms did it with the first xbox where they would bundle a couple of games in for free.

Anyway I'm not sure why anyone would buy the 80 gig version over the 60. If you wanted more hd space put the extra cash to a bigger drive and get more then a 20 gig increase. I'm still going to hold out for it to drop to 400 before I consider one though.

Wow lied to by sony again. Right to our faces. Surprise Surprise.

Wow lied to by sony again. Right to our faces. Surprise Surprise.

Well, the no price drop comment was made by Sony Japan and the price drop confirmation was done by SCEA, A stands for America. In either case we knew that the PS3 would be $499 this week from the leaked sales circulars.

In either case MS said the same thing about the Elite, like Okie said "Welcome to the business world of marketing and sales."

What does it matter anyway it's a price drop and it's good. Enjoy it.

What does it matter anyway it's a price drop and it's good. Enjoy it.

Is it really a price drop? A few months ago, Sony sold two versions of the PS3, for $499 and $599. A month from now you'll be able to choose from two versions of the PS3, for $499 and $599. Was there really a price cut? On launch day if you wanted the cheapest version of the PS3, you paid $499. Now if you want a PS3 you pay $499. Yes, you can argue that you new get more for your money, but the fact remains, at launch PS3s were $499 and $599, today Sony announce that they will continue to be $499 and $599. If you aren't paying any less, how is that a price cut?

Is it really a price drop? A few months ago, Sony sold two versions of the PS3, for $499 and $599. A month from now you'll be able to choose from two versions of the PS3, for $499 and $599. Was there really a price cut? On launch day if you wanted the cheapest version of the PS3, you paid $499. Now if you want a PS3 you pay $499. Yes, you can argue that you new get more for your money, but the fact remains, at launch PS3s were $499 and $599, today Sony announce that they will continue to be $499 and $599. If you aren't paying any less, how is that a price cut?

The 60GB model with Wifi is dropping in price, so I consider it a price drop. I understand what you are saying, you could've bought a PS3 at launch for $499. I called this move back when they discontinued the 20GB, I thought it was going to happen in August and not now, but I knew they would drop the 60GB to the 20GB price point.

I'd be inclined to think you were joking but you typed out a whole paragraph, making me assume you are serious?

60GB used to be $599.
60GB now is $499.
Yesterday the cheapest PS3 was $599. Today it's $499.

Did you need to really think further than what I just typed above?

For me the price drop really does not mean much. The only thing that will get me to buy a PS3 are really good games. I do not own any of the next gen systems because so far the games released have not sparked my intrest. I'm not saying the game released thus far are in any way bad, but they are not what I'm looking for.

If the PS3 had some games that I knew I would enjoy, I would pay the $600 to get one. If I bought one now it would only collect dust or be used to play some of my PS2 games.

Time has shown again and again that having the best hardware dosen't mean a thing without the killer apps. Right now PS3 does not have any thing that *I* would consider a killer app.

I'd be inclined to think you were joking but you typed out a whole paragraph, making me assume you are serious?

60GB used to be $599.
60GB now is $499.
Yesterday the cheapest PS3 was $599. Today it's $499.

Did you need to really think further than what I just typed above?

A couple months ago PS3s were available for $499 and $599. A month from now PS3s will be available for $499 and $599. Where is the price drop? A PS3 has never retailed in the US for less than $499. Now, big announcement, you can get a PS3 for $499! Nice price drop. I'm not saying that a 60GB PS3 with WiFi and card readers for $499 isn't a better deal than a 20GB model without WiFi card readers for $499, I'm just saying that if the lowest price for a PS3 has always been $499, and now the lowest price for a PS3 is still $499, it's not a price drop. It may have increased value, but you still can't get into a PS3 for any less than $500. That was true when they launched, and it's still true now. If $500 was too much for most consumers to spend back then, it's still too much now, a bigger HDD and WiFi doesn't change that.

I really pissed. I bought my PS3 on May 25 as a bundle at Sam's with Motorstorm. Paid $645 for it. Gotta see if they will price match after 6 weeks.

A couple months ago PS3s were available for $499 and $599. A month from now PS3s will be available for $499 and $599. Where is the price drop? A PS3 has never retailed in the US for less than $499. Now, big announcement, you can get a PS3 for $499! Nice price drop. I'm not saying that a 60GB PS3 with WiFi and card readers for $499 isn't a better deal than a 20GB model without WiFi card readers for $499, I'm just saying that if the lowest price for a PS3 has always been $499, and now the lowest price for a PS3 is still $499, it's not a price drop. It may have increased value, but you still can't get into a PS3 for any less than $500. That was true when they launched, and it's still true now. If $500 was too much for most consumers to spend back then, it's still too much now, a bigger HDD and WiFi doesn't change that.

Dude I already posted it. Last week the cheapest you could get a PS3 was $599. This week it's $499.

He has a valid point... The argument that there isn't really a price drop goes out the window, once you take in the fact that the 20GB model has been discontinued for months and the cheapest PS3 available on the open market, go to your local store pick it up and enjoy... Has been $599 for months now....

For me the price drop really does not mean much. The only thing that will get me to buy a PS3 are really good games. I do not own any of the next gen systems because so far the games released have not sparked my intrest. I'm not saying the game released thus far are in any way bad, but they are not what I'm looking for.

If the PS3 had some games that I knew I would enjoy, I would pay the $600 to get one. If I bought one now it would only collect dust or be used to play some of my PS2 games.

Time has shown again and again that having the best hardware dosen't mean a thing without the killer apps. Right now PS3 does not have any thing that *I* would consider a killer app.
If you sign up for a Sony credit card and are approved you get $100 off your first purchase. Buy a PS3 at Circuit City and you get a free sixaxis, use the card for $100 off, and you can take advantage of the 5 free Blu-Ray movie deal.

The good games are coming starting in august and there are a couple games available now that should keep you happy until then.

Lol, some price cut, all Sony is doing it cleaning out their inventory, they are discontinuing the 60GB model. By the end of this month, you will only be able to buy the $599 model.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

So much for your price cut.

I wish I could read your article (damn firewalls) so I can't comment on that.

But for the current 60gb price range, you get a good deal, considering that the only thing you are losing over the 80gb is the drive size and the game that is included. So it's not a bad thing to just get the 60gb version... you can always add the game in and you can always spruce up the hard drive.

Here is the text of the article for the firewall impaired:

----------
SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.
Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.
"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."
When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."
SCEA announced a USD 100 price cut for PlayStation 3 earlier this week. A new 80GB model will come bundled with a copy of Motorstorm and will retail for USD 599.
-----------

How can Sony be this stupid? When everyone finally has their memory of "giant crab" fading, Sony attacks its own weak point (yet again) for massive damage.

Back