PS3/PSP price drop

NotJay

2[H]4U
PS3 160gb to $250 and PSP to $99 ( new model without wifi )
just announced @ gamescom sony key note

this is awesome, now psp will be cheaper used, ive been looking into getting one for my daughter. The ps3 used consoles should be like $200 now too, thats good news aswell

I wonder if this will encourage MicroSoft to drop the price of the 360. I'd like to upgrade my old 20GB model to the slim.

Probably wouldn't buy a PSP at this point considering the Vita is soon™ to be released. In comparison the PSP will feel like one of those TI calculators.

Probably wouldn't buy a PSP at this point considering the Vita is soon™ to be released. In comparison the PSP will feel like one of those TI calculators.

well those ti calculators will still work after 20+ years lol I have a Ti 81 from 1990.......

Last edited:
Hopefully no [H] users though. ;)
My guess is Vita will be close to the original PSP pricepoint.

I've been tempted to buy a PS2 again and hunt down some of the games I really want to replay. Sadly a lot of the ones I want to replay are getting a tad expensive.

Watched the entire announcement online. Uncharted 3 looked incredible.

speaking of vita
official spec of Vita
512mb main memory and 128 vram
950fcb5c.jpg

960x544 with only 128MB VRAM is a little under powered. If it would have had 256 MB you would be seeing a solid 60FPS for every game on the system. 512MB of ram for operating memory seems a little high though. They should of went 256/256 or shared 512.

960x544 with only 128MB VRAM is a little under powered. If it would have had 256 MB you would be seeing a solid 60FPS for every game on the system. 512MB of ram for operating memory seems a little high though. They should of went 256/256 or shared 512.

It's got more ram than the PS3 :D

Whats this (3G/Wifi model only) thing?
I thought that was the only models they had, there's more models?
And whats with all portables using shitty .3 MP cameras? Are at least 1024x768 cameras expensive or something?

I dont get it. 8.2MP on my phone, .3MP on my 3DS and Vita........??? Weaksauce.

BTW I found this on kotaku:
Update: Sony has confirmed to Kotaku that this new PSP model will be Europe-only.

Not sure what that means for NA, prolly a price drop on the current models and thats that. PSP is pretty much dead here anyway

And whats with all portables using shitty .3 MP cameras? Are at least 1024x768 cameras expensive or something?

BTW I found this on kotaku:
Update: Sony has confirmed to Kotaku that this new PSP model will be Europe-only.

Not sure what that means for NA, prolly a price drop on the current models and thats that. PSP is pretty much dead here anyway

Threw me off for a second at first, but they mean the 3G+Wi-Fi model only as in the one that can do both. Their wording is a bit weird there.

Becuase they are primarily video cameras, so 640x480 (the resolution of most webcams including the PSeye and the kinect thing) makes sense.

True, but the PS3 suffers from only 256 MB of video ram. The Vita has around the same screen resolution that the PS3 puts out for most games and has 1/2 the video ram. That = fail.

I ran games with much much higher resolutions with a 128mb GPU. The PS3 runs a few games at 1080p happily with 256mb (wipeout HD etc.), which is almost 4x the resolution of the vita with half the vram. The GPU power of the vita will probably be more of a factor before vram is (not that it wouldn't be trivial to purposefully use all of it). The extra normal ram is probably for the multimedia stuff (web browser on the PSP was constantly getting the out of memory issues) so this is a probably more a limiting factor, and more of a focus.

Sweet. Maybe time to pick up a used PSP? I've been wanting one for a while for the Wipeout titles and for classic console emulation stuff but never bit, and with the Vita going for as much as a PS3 now, well, I'm good on that.

I was actually hoping for the Vita to possibly function as a smart phone (minus the phone) type alternative. But seems like there might be some problems with my plan of getting one for this purpose.

I guess part of the reason might be that the console makers don't want you to do this, since they need you to buy the devices for gaming only to make the most money.

I was actually hoping for the Vita to possibly function as a smart phone (minus the phone) type alternative. But seems like there might be some problems with my plan of getting one for this purpose.

I guess part of the reason might be that the console makers don't want you to do this, since they need you to buy the devices for gaming only to make the most money.

See, but that would actually make me use the unit more.
Can I take pictures? Can I do video? Can the web browser use flash/work with youtube?

If my 3DS did that last thing, I wouldn't touch my phone, except to make phone calls. But of course not.... Don't know about the Vita though. It doesn't seem very pocket friendly and who knows what browser is gonna be on that thing... for one thing the PSP browser sucks ass. (I'm praying for a portable that works with youtube)

I really don't understand the resistance to convergence. It is the natural progression of technology, and everybody wants it anyway, but the technology companies are retardedly confused with this phenomenon... just plain stupid, and irritating....

you can use twitter/skype/facebook etc with Vita ( own app)
vita will have app store like smartphones

See, but that would actually make me use the unit more.
Can I take pictures? Can I do video? Can the web browser use flash/work with youtube?

If my 3DS did that last thing, I wouldn't touch my phone, except to make phone calls. But of course not.... Don't know about the Vita though. It doesn't seem very pocket friendly and who knows what browser is gonna be on that thing... for one thing the PSP browser sucks ass. (I'm praying for a portable that works with youtube)

I really don't understand the resistance to convergence. It is the natural progression of technology, and everybody wants it anyway, but the technology companies are retardedly confused with this phenomenon... just plain stupid, and irritating....

I think the contributing issue is that game console hardware tends to be priced in a way that encourages adoption (even at a loss) in order to make profits on subsequent software sales. Because of this they don't want to encourage you to purchase the device not for a gaming purpose.

I mean hardware wise for the price the Vita is priced very well, especially if you consider that devices like the ipod touch and samsung player use a downgraded TN based screen compared to their smartphone brothers, but the Vita uses an OLED.

I think the contributing issue is that game console hardware tends to be priced in a way that encourages adoption (even at a loss) in order to make profits on subsequent software sales. Because of this they don't want to encourage you to purchase the device not for a gaming purpose.

Wait, we are talking about Sony here. I dont think thats very acurate at all. (PS2/DVD, PS3/Bluray) If anything, I'd say they are the king of encouraging other uses on their devices. Nintendo, sure. Sony, not at all. In fact, by this point, I expect it.

Wait, we are talking about Sony here. I dont think thats very acurate at all. (PS2/DVD, PS3/Bluray) If anything, I'd say they are the king of encouraging other uses on their devices. Nintendo, sure. Sony, not at all. In fact, by this point, I expect it.

Sony isn't just gaming company
dvd/bluray profits them too

I've been tempted to buy a PS2 again and hunt down some of the games I really want to replay. Sadly a lot of the ones I want to replay are getting a tad expensive.
I've got one in my garage with 4 or more controllers and a multi tap and network connection along with something around 100 games if you ever get serious about wanting one.

Used price on PS3 will be awesome! Looking to get a second one to replace my Blu-Ray player in my bedroom.

Back