PS3 question.

Dawgdoc

Limp Gawd
Im interesting in purchasing a PS3 and a tad confused about the options.

There is the new 80gb which is NOT backwards compatible. This is $399 brand new for console + controller.

There is the older 60gb which IS backwards compatible. I am told the 60gb has a PS2 emulation chip in it which makes it the preferred model. This is....$430 locally.

There is the older 80gb which IS backwards compatible, but is a software compatible only and everything needs to be downloaded and there is no PS2 emulation chip in there. This is $450 locally.

Is my info correct thus far?

Any downside to purchasing the 60gb backwards compatible PS3?

Any other accessories that I might want/need?

Any PS3 purchase advice for a PS3 n00b appreciated :)

TY!

Ummm..

TY for the advice. Seriously. But Im not going to tell my son that he is waiting 1 yr for a PS3 :p

But Im not waiting a year for a PS3. Im purchasing one before the end of the week and was shopping around for info and to confirm if the info I have above is indeed correct.

Yes your info is correct the 60gb has the emotion drive from the ps2 so it plays everything the ps2 did.
The 80gb has software emulation so it plays almost everything, haven't run into any problems on mine
Only real downside to the 60gb is its an older system, but the systems seem pretty solid, I bought one that the hard drive had become corrupted but a simple reformat fixed that.

Last edited:
The 80GB PS3 with software emulation is newer, in terms of hardware, than the 60GB with the full PS2 backwards compat.
I have had no issue playing my PS2 games on the 80GB PS3 with the software emulation in the past year; so I would say the extra $50 or so you pay is well worth it.

However, in the case that: 1) you do not wish to play PS2 games 2) do not want to take advantage of the huge PS2 library at amazing price value or some other pertinent reason -- then any PS3 console will do.

Other accessories?
__A second, third, or even fourth Dualshock controller for multiplayer games
__PS2 memory card adapter (if you previously owned a PS2 and wish to use old save data on PS3)

Hope it helps

If you play PS2 games in addition to PS3 games, get the 80GB PS3 with the emulation software.

If you play PS1 games in addition to PS2/PS3 games, get the 60GB PS3.

Check the Wikipedia article so you know the correct SKU numbers for each model in question. You should also visually inspect the PS3 before you purchase it. (If you told your son that you're getting him a PS3, chances are good that he's expecting a new one.)

Depending on the owner and which conditions he kept the PS3 in, the risks you run into are the same that you encounter with any used item.

(bigdogchris: The 60GB model has been discontinued for some time. If the OP is buying the PS3 locally, most likely it will be used.)

Thanks for the info.

It helped alot in making my decision. Just going to go with the brand new 80gb PS3 since we have a PS2 already. And Tiraides you hit the nail on the head. The end deciding factor was that this is a gift (birthday gift in fact) and I think he would feel a tad "gypped" with something that was used. Crazy but a used item that has more functionality and works fine is not as good as a brand new item that has less functionality in the eyes of a 10 year old.

Thanks again for all of the info.

Crazy but a used item that has more functionality and works fine is not as good as a brand new item that has less functionality in the eyes of a 10 year old

Hell I know 20 to 50 year olds who share the same thought process:)

Anyway, hope your son loves his B-day gift :)

And might as well be honest with yourself, again. This is really a present for yourself disguised as a son's present cuz' the homemaker's watching you from behind. We won't tell.

not sure if you bought the PS3 yet but here's detailed info on the differences between all the models
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Models

if you get the 60GB version, you basically get:
full PS2 backwards compatibility, 4 USB ports instead of 2, built-in flash-card reader

but the new 80GB comes with a DualShock3 controller which is far superior to the old SixAxis

Hehe nope this is not a gift for me.

I dont really play consoles at all. Im a PC gamer 99% of the time although Im sure I will play his new PS3 with him to get some father/son time.

I personally would purchase the 60gb with full backwards compat, extra usb ports/etc....but once again if he gets a used gift even if it is a $500 gift it wont have the same WOW impact as something new......

Spoiled lil shit lol!

Ahhh well its his birthday and the point is to make HIM happy....not me.

Thanks again everyone for all of the info.

Back