PS3 tripling t-flops for Folding!

Shlomo

2[H]4U
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

Wow, already PS3 has nearly twice as much "power" as PC's... and just effectively tripled the Tflop number of Folding@home... holy crap...

Folding has really evolved over the last few months. SMP, GPU, PS3, Pande is doing one hell of a job with this program. Now Folding@Home has more Tflop power than Seti ever had. (I think seti topped out at 280?)

As of now there are
windowky4.png

Looks like at $500 a pop for the 20 gig PS3's, you can create a pretty good folding farm!

I am one of them PS3's :D Probably going to buy another just to fold...

uh ya, if you get one that needs a home lmk, i can have it folding 24/7 and maybe i might give in and rent a blueray disk, because i refuse to buy one lol

I am one of them PS3's :D Probably going to buy another just to fold...

Send it to me. I'll fold under your name for "free". IE: You can use my electricity & internet connection, and I'll only use it for playing Blu-Ray discs on my HDTV about once a week. So it won't interfere with its work units! :) PM ME for ship to address! :)

Heh, I want it folding 24/7 to see how much the ps3 can handle ;)

Have mine running since yesterday afternoon and other than the PS3 emitting a high pitched sound that sounds sort of like a tiny bit of air escaping from a can of air, and the fan running on high, its running beautifully.

Heh, I want it folding 24/7 to see how much the ps3 can handle ;)
Well, im folding it 24x7 so far!! Working on the 4th unit, so far so good! But dad might make me turn it off over night cause when he goes in my room hes like is the ps3 giving off all this heat hehe and since the ps3 is under my table(but still with very good circulation) Im pretty hot in my room too hehe. Well Ill probibly leave it 24x7 for several more days.

why on earth would you buy another ps3 just to fold?

:confused:

Cause its cheaper than putting together another core 2 machine to fold in the long run most likely.

I decided to break it out...

E4300 ~170
1gig ram ~75
Gigabyte DS3 ~125
some HD ~50
6200LE video card ~35
some cheap case with psu ~75
find a CD rom - free

that comes down to around 530 bucks, but with an extra PS3 you can play blu ray movies in 2 different rooms in the house if you wanted. Or maybe someday you'll buy a game you want to play against friends on the 2nd PS3. I think it makes decent sense. :)

PS you could make that PC less than 500 bucks by going integrated video but lose all overclocking abilities, and you still don't have blu ray.

Have mine running since yesterday afternoon and other than the PS3 emitting a high pitched sound that sounds sort of like a tiny bit of air escaping from a can of air, and the fan running on high, its running beautifully.

Well, im folding it 24x7 so far!! Working on the 4th unit, so far so good! But dad might make me turn it off over night cause when he goes in my room hes like is the ps3 giving off all this heat hehe and since the ps3 is under my table(but still with very good circulation) Im pretty hot in my room too hehe. Well Ill probibly leave it 24x7 for several more days.

Yeah mine has been running since yesterday as well...Plan to keep it going for a long time before I reset it.

Cause its cheaper than putting together another core 2 machine to fold in the long run most likely.

Plus you get more power with the ps3. Dont forget that.

Looks like at $500 a pop for the 20 gig PS3's, you can create a pretty good folding farm!

The 20GB PS3 has been discontinued.....But then again I had to go blow $20 on a 100' network cable to string yet another LAN connection to my network rack. Yes I know I could have used a switch but good lord I am not sure that the voltage from the switch wouldn't have tripped the breaker.. I already had them run me a seperate 25A line JUST to the equipment rack in the theatre.. If this keeps up I am going to have to get the guy to come run me another one.

The 20GB PS3 has been discontinued.....But then again I had to go blow $20 on a 100' network cable to string yet another LAN connection to my network rack. Yes I know I could have used a switch but good lord I am not sure that the voltage from the switch wouldn't have tripped the breaker.. I already had them run me a seperate 25A line JUST to the equipment rack in the theatre.. If this keeps up I am going to have to get the guy to come run me another one.
Are you sure about the 20gb being cut off?
I heard that was a rumor, and it was spread only because retailers stopped ordering the 20gibbers.

Everything I have read has said that the SKU for the 20GB model was no longer available for ordering. Best Buy Employees are saying that the 20GB SKU is listed as "no longer available" in their system. Same as Target

I never realized that the active GPUs were so low. I think Stanford would see a whole lot more support for that if running the GPU client was easier and interferred less with games ect.

-According to the front page of [H]ard the 20gb PS3s are still in production; just not many retailers order them.

I never realized that the active GPUs were so low. I think Stanford would see a whole lot more support for that if running the GPU client was easier and interferred less with games ect.

-According to the front page of [H]ard the 20gb PS3s are still in production; just not many retailers order them.

Have em put out an NVidia version and I will utilize it all day long.. Seems like I always end up ordering a new video card when NVidia is on top.. I think the last ATI card I ordered was a 9800Pro

Everything I have read has said that the SKU for the 20GB model was no longer available for ordering. Best Buy Employees are saying that the 20GB SKU is listed as "no longer available" in their system. Same as Target

I thought Best Buy chose to cancel it, it's still available for order from the distributor but retailers can make the decision to order them or not.

i dont see why people are willing to spend so much money just to fold...lol if i have something not being used to fold ill use it, but going out of my way just to fold thats just a waste unless your filthy rich

i dont see why people are willing to spend so much money just to fold...lol if i have something not being used to fold ill use it, but going out of my way just to fold thats just a waste unless your filthy rich

and fold with such poor ppd/$ a $500 naked boxen doing SMP's will double the ppd for the same price.

"SKUs are assigned and serialized at the merchant level. Each SKU is attached to an item, variant, product line, bundle, service, fee or attachment.

SKUs are not always associated with actual physical items, but are more appropriately billable entities. Extended warranties, delivery fees, and installation fees are not physical, but have SKUs because they are billable. All merchants using the SKU method will have their own personal approach to assigning the numbers based on regional or national corporate data storage and retrieval policies. SKU tracking varies from other product tracking methods which are controlled by a wider body of regulations stemming from manufacturers or possibly third-party regulations."

It's because they choose to not sell it not because they aren't being made anymore.

1800 PPD for $500. How?

It might take about $700 and that's using quality components. Look at the rig in my sig. I don't feel like going and pricing everything right now, but I spent about $800 on the core components in that machine and that included the vid card which was well over $100. I get close to 2000PPD with this machine with the SMP client in Linux if all it does is fold. Some of my components like the RAM can be toned down. I have Corsair XMS RAM in mine and you can go with a cheaper DDR2 800 brand of RAM to knock off more of the cost. I also ordered a 250 gig hard drive which you probably don't need. A normal 10 gig drive will work just fine for Linux and I'm sure one can be scrounged from somewhere. Also, my PSU was around $100 but you can go with a quality PSU that's cheaper and lower wattage than what I have. It's not that difficult to get the price down a lot from $800. Oh yeah, I also had a keyboard added in there. That would drop another $40 off the price.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145566
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115004
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102447

Total: $537.97

That's without shipping but the PS3 price would go up a bit if you live in a state with sales tax. I consider the vid card optional as I have at least a couple PCI vid cards laying around as do many other people. I didn't put one in there but I would suggest better cooling but you should be able to get a good heatsink/fan for around $30 or less. Someone else can chime in on that.

I know the overclock to 3.2 Ghz isn't guaranteed but I'd say it's likely. I kept the E6400 in there since all it takes is a bump to 400 FSB to get it up to 3.2 and it keeps the RAM from being overclocked even though the Corsair XMS should be able to handle a bit more than 800. Sitting and doing nothing but folding this machine at 3.2 Ghz should pull close to 2000 PPD.

and fold with such poor ppd/$ a $500 naked boxen doing SMP's will double the ppd for the same price.

Because points come second to finding the cure? Regardless of how many PPD these things are putting out, they are doing a helluva lot more work. Better for science :)

I've been folding nonstop 24/7 since the hour that firmware 1.60 was released.

But with all being said, I would really love to have a quad core cell processor and a couple of GeForce 9800s folding for my next PC upgrade in January :)

they got into this at FCF, VJ said he was more than happy with the GPU progress thus far. Kinda shocking to me, premise of the thread was slow/no adoption of the GPU client.

The FLOP ratio for PS3 to GPU has always been wacked to say the least.

Has anybody looked at the map lately? There is ALOT more PS3's running right now, then last night...And there are alot in europe...

folding 24/7 on my PS3. Well, whenever im not playing games so that probably equates to overnight and the workday. So maybe 18hrs a day.

Also inspired me to install folding on my 2ghz C2D and my wifes 4400 X2 proc. All for the [H]orde.

Back