PS3 Video Question.....

Damar

Supreme [H]ardness
So I finally decided a PS3 was for me, and I'm currently neck deep in Resistance: Fall of Man, and loving it.

Currently I have it connected through component cables to the inputs on my Gateway FPD2485W 24" LCD (http://www.gateway.com/retail/fpd2485w.php), and it looks pretty good to me.

I was wondering, however, if I might get better quality using an HDMI to DVI cable and using the DVI port instead?

Overall I'm extremely happy with the purchase, but would like to make sure I'm getting the most out of what the PS3 can do.

Many thanks.

I wish I could help you out but I have no idea. I am very interested in the answer though So I am hopeing that this will bump it back to the top so I can find out as well.

Quality shouldn't look to different but it really depends on the TV. Best way to find out is pick up an HDMI cable and give it a go, the difference will probably be hardly noticable.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but HDMI to DVI is going to give you 1080p, while component is 1080i at best, correct?

Now, Resistance isn't in 1080p that I know of, but if you watch blu-ray movies or if they come out with 1080p games later on I think it would take advantage of that. Outside of that you're also looking at a digital signal which could improve the picture slightly.

Monoprice has super-cheap cables- I got a 6ft hdmi to dvi for my upconverting player for my old HD set (no hdmi). Give it a go- at $7 you aren't taking much of a risk.

I'm using a hdmi--> dvi adapter to a samsung 244T, and as far as I know it's the only way to get 1080p. Pretty sure component will only get you 480p but system info should confirm one way or another :)

I'm using a hdmi--> dvi adapter to a samsung 244T, and as far as I know it's the only way to get 1080p. Pretty sure component will only get you 480p but system info should confirm one way or another :)

Yeah, I think it depends on the tv, but when I use component on my 37" I can only get 480p out of it, I'd say go with HDMI for best quality.

Yeah, I think it depends on the tv, but when I use component on my 37" I can only get 480p out of it, I'd say go with HDMI for best quality.
correct. my 52' rear projection only does 1080i and I'm using a dvi. looks fantastic tho ...maybe a tv upgrade in the next year or so. loving the new upscaling on dvd's!

I'll be picking up an HDMI to DVI-D cable tomorrow to test out.

Odd thing I just noticed. When I'm at the main menu of the PS3, it would almost seem that in the left and upper left sides of the screen there is a very very subtle red tint that gradually fades off going to the right.

Maybe its the lighting in the room, not sure. I checked all the cables and everything is in snug and the video cable itself isn't running along a power cable or anything else.

Tomorrow night I'll give it a whirl. Gonna sorta suck to have to unplug the PC DVI cable, but I only use one at a time anyway.

At 480p, you'll have to look real hard for a difference between analog (component/VGA) vs digital signals, assuming you don't live in some kinda radiation lab.

Supposedly, and from my personal observations, at resolutions of 1080+, the difference is a lot more noticeable (or one could say, easier to see the diffrence) between analog and digital; analog is hitting its bandwidth limit, digital isn't.

TBH, I'd say try both, if you personally don't see a difference or don't care, use whatever makes the most efficient use of the limited inputs on your TV. That's what nice about the PS3, you can output analog or digital easily without any form of A2D converter box if your display lacks the proper inputs.

Ninja edit: Forgot...I don't think HDCP works over component, unprotected pathway.

Only way to get 1080p, correct. However component can get you to 1080i depending on your set. I have my 360 outputting 1080i over component.

....Odd thing I just noticed. When I'm at the main menu of the PS3, it would almost seem that in the left and upper left sides of the screen there is a very very subtle red tint that gradually fades off going to the right.
only in the main menu?

Ok, so to answer my question now that I've got an HDMI to DVI-D cable here.

The Component cable looks good on this Gateway FPD2485W LCD, very good.

I can only get video from the PS3 if I choose 480/720/1080i modes. If I choose 1080p I get an "out of signal range" message on the LCD.

Using the HDMI-DVI-D cable, the system detects the HDMI cable and asks if thats what I want to default to, it then auto picked 1080p which showed up just fine on the LCD along with 480/720/1080i. The image appeared a bit sharper and more detailed than on the Component cable, to my eyes anyway.

So it would seem the benefit to me is to be able to select 1080p by using this cable over the Component one.

The problem with that is I need to disconnect my PC from the screen whenever I want to use the PS3 and vice versa.

I don't suppose there are any good quality 19-20" LCD TV's out there with an HDMI input on em? I could just squeeze one of those in this desk next to the Gateway for the PS3 if I had to.

One solution to having to unplug your PC each time u fire up the console is to use PC-->vga. Anyways, that's what I'm doing until I decide on a hdtv.

One solution to having to unplug your PC each time u fire up the console is to use PC-->vga. Anyways, that's what I'm doing until I decide on a hdtv.

Thats not a bad idea actually. It would tide me over for now.

ROFL :D

It's pretty funny I never even considered doing it that way.

Thanks!

EDIT - Figured I'd edit this rather than post another new post......

So it turns out the fault is with the PS3. If I'm using the HDMI to DVI-D cable to the LCD, I have no way of getting audio off the HDMI cable.

If I hook up either a composite or component cable in addition to the HDMI cable, I then lose the ability to choose 1080p as an available resolution, even though I'm telling the PS3 to use the HDMI output.

So if I want 1080p I have to play without sound. This isnt a huge deal really since the PC is in the family room where others watch TV and I can rarely just crank up my Bose speakers and let it rip anyway, but it is slightly annoying.

At any rate, I'm happy with things. R:FOM is keeping me very busy and I'm loving every minute of it. This from a die hard PC FPS fan. Took a while to get used to the controls, but now that I'm more comfortable with it, I can live with it (still prefer the mouse though).

You can either run sound through an optical cable to a receiver or through the red and whit analog cables that come with the PS3 composite video cable, you do not need to send the audio through HDMI. To the other posts you can send 1080p through component but only for games (and only if your TV takes 1080p through component) Blu-ray will only do 1080i and DVD upscaling will only go through HDMI.

You can either run sound through an optical cable to a receiver or through the red and whit analog cables that come with the PS3 composite video cable, you do not need to send the audio through HDMI. To the other posts you can send 1080p through component but only for games (and only if your TV takes 1080p through component) Blu-ray will only do 1080i and DVD upscaling will only go through HDMI.

If I plug in the component or composite connector at all, I lose the ability to select 1080p over the HDMI cable. So there is no way I can get audio AND 1080p at the same time currently.

I don't have an optical in on any device here to use that option.

The component cable does not allow me to use 1080p on the LCD, it gives only a blank screen when testing it. It will let me choose 1080i however.

you do know that the current xbrs only have hdmi 1.2 while the ps3 supports 1.3 right?
1.3 is still young and not needed at this time. not all can afford that setup anyway. I would suggest to anyone to spend some time on the avsforum before you spend those hard earned dollars. for a noob like me its answered many questions I had, but I'm thankful I made the correct choices. I use hdmi/dvi to the tv and optical to the receiver. since I cannot afford a receiver with 2hdmi and a new tv with it, this will do for now. read ps3 settings for HDMI RGB or YPbPr, super white and 24hz output. good reads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=853404

EDIT: you can get cheap cables and a receiver that does optical in for a reasonable price. food 4 thought
EDIT: thought this was good info too:
I'm using optical out instead of HDMI for audio. How should I set my audio output settings, PCM or Bitstream?
Set it to Bitstream. Why? Bitstream will send the raw digital audio without processing out of the DVD player so your receiver can process it. Whereas, with PCM the player will convert everything to and output as 2 channel audio.

Resistance is only 720p.

I would suggest using HDMI>DVI ....not only will your picture quality increase, but will be less cords/plugs to deal with (than component ;) )

I must say that I'm having a lot of fun with 4 player Calling All Cars :D

Resistance is only 720p.

I would suggest using HDMI>DVI ....not only will your picture quality increase, but will be less cords/plugs to deal with (than component ;) )
resistance does 7.1 surround sound too while many others do not. with hdmi/dvi: for future upgrade options, get a cable with hdmi on either end, then get the dvi converter

Back