PS3 - What's going on? Is it already Over?

flapbreaker

Limp Gawd
There really seems to be a lack of posts regarding the PS3 and anyone using it. Last year with the 360 there were tons of posts/threads with screen shots showing peoples setups and comparing games ect. I'm a little shocked at the lack of PS3 fan support out there. I know they lack titles right now but the only interest I've seen is in those people who want to sell. Nothing from people playing it. This phenom, doesn't bode well for Sony. Even though the PS3 may be a great system technically that lack of interest is conserning considering there's some serious competition.

Another thing, if the lack of first generation software is this bad now, how on earth could they have even released the console last year like originally planned? I understand that the only reason it was delayed was due to the blu-ray decision. You'd think with an extra year there would be decent games for it.

Relax, no-one can get the damn things right now so you're not going to be seeing a lot of opinion. Give it until March next year and finally people might be able to get their hands on one (though I don't guarantee it because they have to put together some sort of Euro launch).

I'm guessing it's because a lot of people didn't get their hands on a PS3.

It's a good system, but like the 360, it won't reach it's true potential until a few updates are released.
Also, the games, much like the 360's launch, are from bad to mediocre (aside from Resistance, which is fantastic)... and there really isn't much on the horizon except Fight Night next month. Then there's a 3 month wait...

Just give it time.

People were only interested in the PS3 to sell. Now that the ebay craze is over, there really isn't much left to be excited about. What are people gonna talk about, Resistance? Ridge Racer 2345?

Psychotext said:
Oh, and of course Sony might soon be in a world of trouble:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/ps3-hacking-has-begun-217060.php

Given what they lose on each console, widescale piracy on the games would be an absolute disaster. Though I'm sure it would help get the blu-ray player into people's houses!

They just dumped the image of the game, don't know how thats cosidering piracy, still a long way till the dump is playable... they still have to figure out how to burn/play the games...

The rest of the things they mention are legal in Sony's eye... Sony includes their own instructions on how to swap out the HD aswell as install Linux onto the unit. MAME running it is Linux's fault... not Sonys...

Firebot said:
People were only interested in the PS3 to sell. Now that the ebay craze is over, there really isn't much left to be excited about. What are people gonna talk about, Resistance? Ridge Racer 2345?

QFT, resistance sounds like the only ps3 game worth anything at this point, and what I've heard is it's not as good as gears of war eather.

Zelda really the only great game on Wii... Resistance is a pretty good launch title...

But ya... there's less than half a million PS3's out right now... and 2/3 of those aren't with someone keeping them... so probably 100k max...

Wait till after x-mas and definately spring 07 for it to take off...

VoodooChi|d said:
Zelda really the only great game on Wii... Resistance is a pretty good launch title...

Zelda might be the only great game on the wii, but it also has quite a few other fun titles that are already out.

Rayman Raving Rabbids
Exite Truck
Madden 07

|MaguS| said:
They just dumped the image of the game, don't know how thats cosidering piracy, still a long way till the dump is playable... they still have to figure out how to burn/play the games...
How long you think that's going to take them? Look at the piracy on the PSP. At this stage I see the biggest issue as having access to a blu-ray burner and being willing to make $20 coasters... but it only takes the asian piracy groups to get involved and cover that.

[Edit - I should be clear that this is obviously a long way from having playable "backups" but they're certainly pleased to get the first hurdle out of the way.]

I hear ya guys but even though the 360 was in a similar spot last year the few people that did get them was sharing their experience. I really haven't even seen a post from anyone playing it. The longer sony goes without being able to sell games just makes a very dangerous situation for them. They need to sell games or they will lose major market share. Microsoft, last year could afford to have a lack luster group of launch titles considering they were the first HD system out. I don't think Sony has that luxury this year with the currrent competition.

I guess overall I was just a little surprised that noone who owns one is saying much, that's all.

Except for Resistance, most of its games are cross-platform titles or just plain suck. This is where PS3's unparalleled backwards compatibility comes into play. Being able to play Final Fantasy XII and Okami on the PS3 is a huge selling point.

VoodooChi|d said:

But ya... there's less than half a million PS3's out right now... and 2/3 of those aren't with someone keeping them... so probably 100k max...

Wait till after x-mas and definately spring 07 for it to take off...

COD3 got good ratings

They are in exactly the same boat as the 360 was a year ago, loads of pc title at 360 launch i recollect. Just pgr3 was a favourite for me at launch, im lucky enough to have picked up a ps3 today and i can honestly say im more than impressed. Super silent even with no sound on, full internet browsing with wireless mouse and keyboard, Resistance is amazing but admittedley graphics arent a patch on gears of war. the wireless pad is perfect, on par with the 360s, already stuck a 100gig hard drive in there aswell. No vsync issues on the gui like i noticed on the 360, ive only scratched the surface, ill post more tomorrow when i hve had a good play around. Another thing is although my ps3 is jap, my english and US bluray movies work and look outstanding! I think things are looking up for sony.

how many were sold? 275k or somewheres around that WOLRDWIDE?!?!?

Correct me if I'm wrong....

and anybody that has one now...it's on ebay somewhere. or waiting to go on ebay...

Rash said:
They are in exactly the same boat as the 360 was a year ago, loads of pc title at 360 launch i recollect. Just pgr3 was a favourite for me at launch, im lucky enough to have picked up a ps3 today and i can honestly say im more than impressed. Super silent even with no sound on, full internet browsing with wireless mouse and keyboard, Resistance is amazing but admittedley graphics arent a patch on gears of war. the wireless pad is perfect, on par with the 360s, already stuck a 100gig hard drive in there aswell. No vsync issues on the gui like i noticed on the 360, ive only scratched the surface, ill post more tomorrow when i hve had a good play around. Another thing is although my ps3 is jap, my english and US bluray movies work and look outstanding! I think things are looking up for sony.

Thanks for the report. I dissagree that sony is in the exact spot the 360 was in though.

Kortiz DZ said:
how many were sold? 275k or somewheres around that WOLRDWIDE?!?!?

Correct me if I'm wrong....

and anybody that has one now...it's on ebay somewhere. or waiting to go on ebay...
Your wrong! ;)

Well, there really isn't any games to be excited about. Resistance has gotten mixed reviews from the posts I've read. Plus, I would imagine that there are a lot of PS3's that aren't opened yet. There are still 11000 sitting on ebay, plus a lot in transit that were sold on ebay, and a lot might be hidden in closets for christmas gifts.

Scalping of the Xbox 360 was common as well. Resellers aren't why the Playstation 3 isn't getting much exposure; the truth of the matter is that people were expecting a huge jump in performance with the Playstation 3 and it wasn't delivered.

K600 said:
Scalping of the Xbox 360 was common as well. Resellers aren't why the Playstation 3 isn't getting much exposure; the truth of the matter is that people were expecting a huge jump in performance with the Playstation 3 and it wasn't delivered.

And the fact that while the 360 launch was considered a disaster, they still pushed 400k units into stores on launch day.

Recent reports indicate that Sony had somewhere around 150k units at launch... Ouch. The fact that they're keeping mum on the subject speaks volumes. The same reports are now indicating that they might have less than 200k shipped to the US by the end of the year. That makes it hard for people to get that excited about the system when no one has it yet.

But you're right; I was playing a PS3 today in Gamestop and its graphics were marginally better than the 360s... Barely even noticable. And yes, while the cell processor still has a lot of untapped power, so does the 360. I don't think any 360 games are even using the two other cores yet (though I could be wrong).

Psychotext said:
Oh, and of course Sony might soon be in a world of trouble:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/ps3-hacking-has-begun-217060.php

Given what they lose on each console, widescale piracy on the games would be an absolute disaster. Though I'm sure it would help get the blu-ray player into people's houses!

I wouldn't exactly consider dumping an ISO image via Linux to be news as there were 360 ISOs available on Emule a few weeks after its release. Getting the game to run is a different matter entirely, that the PS3 doesn't actually allow you "rip" games to the hard drive, it just saves certain data to cut down on loading times. The original game disc would still be required to boot and run the game. I'm sure that someone will find a way around this sooner or later, but it will most likely require internal hardware modification, which 95% of gamers aren't going to do.

Running emulators on Linux isn't anything to write home about, either, and it certainly isn't hacking. That's like saying that running Nesticle or MAME on a PC is hacking.

Firebot said:
There IS interest in PS3s for gaming, genius. After all, they ARE getting sold on eBay.
If there wasn't, no one would be buying them on eBay. :rolleyes:

There isn't much to say about the PS3. It's a beast for sure, the games look great and the bluray playback is nice but if your coming from an Xbox 360 it just isn't really a leap.

As always, the only thing that makes a system is the games. Which the PS3 happens to lack at the time.

I have a feeling the ps3 will start to gain ground once the second or third wave of games start to come out(sometime early to mid next year) as by that time the supply of consoles should be able to keep up with the demand. Also from what I've read most of the launch ps3 games suck or are ok at best. Resistance seems to be the only real good one. The 360 has had a year to get out great games and has some real good games out and some that are just comming out. Nintendo while not having enoungh systems for launch seems to have a pretty good selection of launch titles. I saw that not even talking about zelda which being a launch title is huge.

Another thing to consider is the cost of the system. Most parents will not buy something that expensive for a kid. A lot of college stundents will not be able to afford it either. It is a lot of money. Also how many kids have hdtvs? You think they care about blueray? NO. I think sony narrowed the market they are going to be in with the cost of this system.

I'm thinking sony will still do ok this round but I don't think they will keep the number one spot(in the us at least). Either way untill you get the system in the hands of enough people to play them and have a good selection of games it is hard to say. I've played the demo of the ps3 and so far it doesn't do anything for me. The offroad racing game was kinda cool but the basketball game just looked crappy to me(the players did at least). The graphics didn't really do anything for me over a 360 so untill they have games that matter I see no reason to even consider one other then linux. I must admin I'm real interesting in one of these as a kickass linux media/emu player but I will need to see some good work already done in this. 600 bucks is just way too much for an unproven toy. The wii on the other hand really caught my eye. I've been playing it a few days now and really like the controller for some games. Is the system a primary system for me? No, the 360 is but it is a great system still. It was cheap too(big plus). Can't wait for some party games for it(and for when I can find some more controllers)

Bop said:
As always, the only thing that makes a system is the games. Which the PS3 happens to lack at the time.

Not always true. The dreamcast had the games at the time and lost. Hype can be very dangerous.

Bop said:
There isn't much to say about the PS3. It's a beast for sure, the games look great and the bluray playback is nice but if your coming from an Xbox 360 it just isn't really a leap.

The 360 didn't have games at the start, either. An inferior PC port (COD2)... and... um... a little help?
Regardless, look at what a year in has accomplished. 1 AAA title, and several good titles.

The PS3, however, starts off with an arguably AAA title... so if you ask me, I'd say the PS3 is off to an even better start.

Like I said in an earlier post in this thread: just give it time.

The18thLetter said:
The 360 didn't have games at the start, either. An inferior PC port (COD2)... and... um... a little help?
Regardless, look at what a year in has accomplished. 1 AAA title, and several good titles.

The PS3, however, starts off with an arguably AAA title... so if you ask me, I'd say the PS3 is off to an even better start.

In the context of the system launch, it wasn't the first HD system out. The initial wow factor of the big jump isn't there to aid the PS3. Hence why there is not much commotion. That along with the fact that the supply is abysmal and I scored mine by just being at the right place at the right time.

I'm surprised at how warm this thing gets.

The bottom of the right side is always hot as fu*k.

The18thLetter said:

If not for the fact that they very well might ship less than 200,000 units to North America by the end of the year, I might agree with you.

I was in a Gamestop today and three 360s sold while I was in line, which took about 15 minutes.

How many of those would have been PS3s had it been available? If someone buys a 360 this Christmas season, odds are they won't be looking at a PS3 for at least six months.

And that's very bad news for Sony.

I've played Resistance for about five hours. It's a good game, but it's far from being "AAA". It just seems superb because of what it's up against...a few mediocre ports and some rushed sports titles. I've seen others dub it a Call of Duty/Half-Life 2 hybrid and that seems pretty accurate.

As mentioned earlier, the 360 didn't have a great start in terms of software either, but it had variety. Project Gotham Racing 3, Kameo, Condemned...among those, PGR3 is the only title I would personally buy, but the option to get those certainly helped.

The18thLetter said:

Well you might be right but I'm not sure that time is on sony's side. In a three system battle you need to sell consoles. Can't sell games without consoles. People have a choice now in next gen gaming where as last year there wasn't one. I'm not trying to say that the ps3 won't succeed but they are in a dangerous position. I'm not sure how many people are really saving their money for a ps3 when u can buy a 360 and wii for about the same price there just might not be any money left for Sony. Just some random thoughts. Time will tell though.

K600 said:
Hmm i wasnt, anyone in the know how, could safely judge by reading each consoles specs that they are probably on par, admittedly the cell processor is overhyped, so was the 3 cores in the 360, any company would do the same. Im loving my PS3 i dont know what all the hating is for.

flapbreaker said:
There really seems to be a lack of posts regarding the PS3 and anyone using it. Last year with the 360 there were tons of posts/threads with screen shots showing peoples setups and comparing games ect. I'm a little shocked at the lack of PS3 fan support out there. I know they lack titles right now but the only interest I've seen is in those people who want to sell. Nothing from people playing it. This phenom, doesn't bode well for Sony. Even though the PS3 may be a great system technically that lack of interest is conserning considering there's some serious competition.

Another thing, if the lack of first generation software is this bad now, how on earth could they have even released the console last year like originally planned? I understand that the only reason it was delayed was due to the blu-ray decision. You'd think with an extra year there would be decent games for it.

I was completely turned off by PS3 due to the Blu-Ray decision. I think HD DVD is the better format, I have a standalone HD DVD player, and heck if I'm going to pay an extra $200 so that Sony can force Blu-Ray on me. No thanks, I'll stick with my 360.

Not to mention that every review of multiplatform games thus far give the nod to the 360 version over the PS3 version in the graphics department. 360+Wii is far better money spent than PS3 IMO.

Firebot said:

Halo 3? people are already excited about supreme commander, and Crysis excitement has been going on for how long? you think the Sony hype machine would be in full spin for halo3 by now. but im not sure on a release date for that game, can someone help me out?

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
The original game disc would still be required to boot and run the game. I'm sure that someone will find a way around this sooner or later, but it will most likely require internal hardware modification, which 95% of gamers aren't going to do.
Maybe. But the current talk is of how similar the PS3 game layout is to the PSP and all that took was a firmware update (Incidentally they already have a PS3 firmware update to reverse engineer). I said it somewhere else that I see the most likely way it's going to go down is that there will be a way to rip games to the hard drive (rent them / download them) and fool / re-write the PS3 launcher to mount a harddrive as it would a blu-ray disc. It worked for the PS2 so I'd hope that Sony have this attack vector covered by now.

I also clarified that this was not going to happen any time soon but they've certainly tasted blood...

MrWizard6600 said:
Halo 3? people are already excited about supreme commander, and Crysis excitement has been going on for how long? you think the Sony hype machine would be in full spin for halo3 by now. but im not sure on a release date for that game, can someone help me out?

Umm. either I'm reading that wrong or you have sony confused with microsoft.

K600 said:

75%+ of systems sold were resold according to many reports. That coupled with a lack of availability is exactly why.

The PS3 does absolutely have the huge jump in performance ability. First gen titles already look close to 2nd gen 360 titles(gears of war excluded). Downloading and playing Motorstorm demo, and Formula One demo definitely have me excited on whats to come. PS3 is going to deliver, just not until the next round of games.

The 360 was in the same boat.

I have all 3 new systems and i see no reason why the PS3 shouldnt be completely successful.

4saken said:
The PS3 does absolutely have the huge jump in performance ability.
Really... just no. The games say it, the devs say it, the specs say it. Only the hype machine says otherwise. I'm excited to see what the PS3 can bring but lets be realistic, the only advantages it brings are the hard drive by default and the extra capacity from blu-ray. There's enough information out there at this point to back this up.

Psychotext said:
Really... just no. The games say it, the devs say it, the specs say it. Only the hype machine says otherwise. I'm excited to see what the PS3 can bring but lets be realistic, the only advantages it brings are the hard drive by default and the extra capacity from blu-ray. There's enough information out there at this point to back this up.

Sorry i meant the comparison from the PS2 to the PS3. Not the 360 vs a PS3.

But i truly see potential in just the "work in progress" demos such as Formula one that I have yet to see in any racing type game on the 360. But i'm a huge Formula One fan, so having an official game finally coming back to a console may have me a little biased.

Back