PS3 = Worlds fastest supercomputer

Mac[X-D];1032621245 said:
Maybe we haven't seen the PS3 maxed out yet.

Sure it isn't maxed out yet, but its not going to get significantly better. The graphics are still done by a Nvidia card comparable to a 7800 series w/256mb of ram and 256mb of system ram.

Also a PS3 is not really comparable to a super computer with thousands of AMD CPU's and Thousands of Cells or whatever.

It's not actually the same CELL they use in the PS3. It's a significantly re-engineered version (perhaps the PS4 will use a descendent of this chip).

Sure it isn't maxed out yet, but its not going to get significantly better. The graphics are still done by a Nvidia card comparable to a 7800 series w/256mb of ram and 256mb of system ram.

Also a PS3 is not really comparable to a super computer with thousands of AMD CPU's and Thousands of Cells or whatever.

lol

i think you took my statement a little to literal, i understand my PS3 has nothing in conman with a supercomputer :)

It's not actually the same CELL they use in the PS3. It's a significantly re-engineered version (perhaps the PS4 will use a descendent of this chip).

From the gamespot article, it does say the PS3's Cell CPU's

Almost 13,000 of the PS3's Cell processors are used in Roadrunner, and each of the 8-core chips runs at speeds of 4GHz.

Mac[X-D];1032622547 said:
From the gamespot article, it does say the PS3's Cell CPU's
Gamespot isn't the best source for that sort of thing (for a start the CELL in the PS3 runs at 3.2ghz and only has 7 SPEs). Here's what they're using in the supercomputer:
PowerXCell 8i Variant

In 2008, IBM announced a revised variant of the Cell called the PowerXCell 8i, which is available in QS22 Blade Servers from IBM. The PowerXCell is manufactured on a 65 nm process, and adds support for DDR2 memory, as well as dramatically improving double-precision floating-point performance on the SPEs from a peak of about 14 GFLOPS to 102 GFLOPS total for 8 SPEs. The IBM Roadrunner supercomputer, currently the world's fastest, consists of nearly 13000 PowerXCell 8i processors, along with almost 7000 AMD Opteron processors.

I think the thread title should be "PS3 = 1/13,000 of Worlds fastest supercomputer".

Of course I new my PS3 was the worlds fastest supercomputer, its currently powering all of the Bay Areas computer networks :)

Back