PS4 Hard Drive Upgrade

About to do this upgrade soon. Does the SSD need to be FAT32/NTFS formatted prior to installation, or does the OS installation do this automatically?

You dont need to format the hdd first. Just make sure you have the latest ps4 firmware on a flash drive.

When you swap HDD, is it possible to make a complete image of your current drive so you don't lose anything? Anybody game share on their ps4 and have those games affected when you swap to a new HDD?

When you swap HDD, is it possible to make a complete image of your current drive so you don't lose anything? Anybody game share on their ps4 and have those games affected when you swap to a new HDD?

I game share and didn't have any problems with a new HDD. You could probably use imaging software to transfer everything over but I didn't think it was worth it. I don't have an ISP cap so I just redownloaded everything.

I would stay away from anything with an SSD in it. Do the hybrid drives require trim support to operate at peak performance? I haven't found a definitive answer anywhere, but googling around looks like the ps4 does not support trim.

I would be leery of the 7200rpm drives as well because of heat.

You guys can be the ginny pigs though :). I'll wait a year and put in what has been found to work best.

That's not very [H]ard of you... I put the Seagate Momentous XT750 in my PS4. It seems to perform fairly well. I wanted a Hybrid drive but I wanted it also to be packing a 7200rpm platter, so this Seagate was my only option. It's more space than I had and so far seems mighty snappy.

Just a heads up avoid Samsung 840 Pro SSD for now. They have a nasty firmware bug that slows them down overtime quite dramatically. Samsung said it fixed this but its been revealed it hasn't. And it doesn't know when it will be fully addressed.

Stick with the 850 or EVO drives for now if you are going for a Samsung. Having to re-open a PS4 and reinstall everything to gain back speed is a nightmare possibility for a console owner.

Just a heads up avoid Samsung 840 Pro SSD for now. They have a nasty firmware bug that slows them down overtime quite dramatically. Samsung said it fixed this but its been revealed it hasn't. And it doesn't know when it will be fully addressed.

Stick with the 850 or EVO drives for now if you are going for a Samsung. Having to re-open a PS4 and reinstall everything to gain back speed is a nightmare possibility for a console owner.

Thought it was the 840 EVOs?

Thought it was the 840 EVOs?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6503/second-update-on-samsung-ssd-840840-pro-failures

Old article but people are still experiencing weird firmware issues still. Just figured that most people interested in doing a hard drive upgrade want the most reliable models if they are buying Samsung. There are other forums out there as well that have people experiencing similar issues going on and off for years now.

The newest generation are suppose to be extremely sturdy with massive lifetime writing capability.

The 840s has realy a problem with the firmware, but after the last update it runs good for me.

My Samsung spinpoint momentus 1TB is still going strong. The external version of this drive is less $$$. You will just need to pop open the cover and take out the drive and unplug the connector from it to use it in the PS.

Ok, I am wondering how [H] of me this was. I used a WD 4TB Cavier Black Desktop drive, put it in an external enclosure, ran a sata cable out the back exhaust vent and am using this as my HDD in my PS4. No cutting or modification required and I have a massive fast 7200rpm hdd for my PS4! :cool:

Ok, I am wondering how [H] of me this was. I used a WD 4TB Cavier Black Desktop drive, put it in an external enclosure, ran a sata cable out the back exhaust vent and am using this as my HDD in my PS4. No cutting or modification required and I have a massive fast 7200rpm hdd for my PS4! :cool:
😎 That's pretty [H]ardcore if you ask me.

Recently picked up the Seagate Hybrid 1TB 2.5 drive from Best Buy. Seems a bit faster, possibly from just using higher density platters. I don't often play the same games repeatedly so I may not get much of the 8GB SSD benefit. Witcher 3 drops on Tuesday though, that should get plenty of repeat plays.

Recently picked up the Seagate Hybrid 1TB 2.5 drive from Best Buy. Seems a bit faster, possibly from just using higher density platters. I don't often play the same games repeatedly so I may not get much of the 8GB SSD benefit. Witcher 3 drops on Tuesday though, that should get plenty of repeat plays.

Yeah I dropped a 250GB EVO into my PS4 - was dead simple.

I'm not sure why Sony chose to go with a SATA II interface on the PS4 instead of SATA III, but whatever, it's still faster than the 500GB stock spinner. Maybe they figured 99% of people would run it on the stock 500GB so why bother with SATA III on the BOM, assuming there was some component cost savings doing so. Who knows.

My 2 TB drive is becoming loud and hot.

After a few hours today, it made a loud spinning sound. I pulled off the cover and it was near burning hot. Defective? or soon to be? Everything is working fine.But i do believe these are vital signs of it starting to give out.

I just cleaned the whole system out too, so I don't think it's a dust issue.

Last edited:
I've been running my 2 tb samsung m9t drive in my ps4 for about 2 months now with no issues. Before the upgrade I had 51gb of free space now I have 1.4 tb of free space.

I put the stock ps4 drive in my external case and hooked it up to my xbox one. I've got a little over 700gb free space on my xbox one now too.

Back