PSA: Avoid /Buy.com due to creditcard fraud

I actually bought a gtx780 from them back when a 30% points offer was good. Funny thing was I found a "fraudulent" charge, canceled my credit cards and everything. Then found out the next day that my woman actually made that charge. lol.

Anyhow now I am stuck with almost $200 in super points and waiting for a decent price on a gtx770 4gb and need to figure out the safest way to pay them. I think others will be in the same position as me.

On a more general note made news for its super points loyalty system and strong growth. They consider them to be a company that is "innovative" apparently the CEO decided to make everyone clean their own areas so they would not need custodial, I have since suggested they retasked the custodial to do network security. Their decision to abandon one of the best possible domain names in existence to use the stupid name is also very well innovative.

Last edited:
I actually bought a gtx780 from them back when a 30% points offer was good. Funny thing was I found a "fraudulent" charge, canceled my credit cards and everything. Then found out the next day that my woman actually made that charge. lol.

Anyhow now I am stuck with almost $200 in super points and waiting for a decent price on a gtx770 4gb and need to figure out the safest way to pay them. I think others will be in the same position as me.

On a more general note made news for its super points loyalty system and strong growth. They consider them to be a company that is "innovative" apparently the CEO decided to make everyone clean their own areas so they would not need custodial, I have since suggested they retasked the custodial to do network security. Their decision to abandon one of the best possible domain names in existence to use the stupid name is also very well innovative.

I got a GTX 780. I think people don't know that the way buy.com is setup is as a marketplace. So there are 100's of sellers and you pick one to buy from. I bought my GTX 780 from buy.com, not one of the others. No issues encountered.

Their security vulnerability is probably giving too much info to the seller.

Yeah, my brother (who actually works in fraud) willfully ordered something from them during the 30% points promo knowing he wouldn't be personally liable... said something about it would actually help him do his job if he did encounter an issue.

Obviously, as he was the best possible candidate for something bad to happen to, it didn't. Although it bears mentioning that the merchants attached to his order were buy and tigerdirect, so there's that.

Never thought I'd say it, but I guess I'm glad I used paypal when I bought from Buy recently.

I too ordered from that site sometime last year. The item I bought was stupid cheap compared to other places, but knowing I had multiple avenues for recourse, I decided it was worth the gamble.

Needless to say, I didn't get what I ordered, but they were actually pretty quick to refund my money in full and even supplied a prepaid return label.

I think these kind of places just bank on the people who are too lazy to go through the steps to do a return.

I have been burned by these fuckers before back in 2008. I purchased a pc game, and they signed me up for some bullshit service that billed me 10.00 a month for a year before I caught wind. Apparently when I checked out I didn't opt out of the service, which was marked "I accept" by default. I should have been more careful , but thats just plain shady.

this is why you use virtual account numbers that is tied to a site only and expire in the next month

I had two very bad shopping experience with buy.com years ago and never went back no matter what the sale was... horrible horrible place that doesn't give a fuck about customer service... they only care about money.

this is why you use virtual account numbers that is tied to a site only and expire in the next month

Too bad not all credit cards offer virtual credit card numbers. Both of mine don't have that option.

Too bad not all credit cards offer virtual credit card numbers. Both of mine don't have that option.

Ya mine does not, I am not about to separate my card from my bank and all for 1 sale and I don't know how big the sale will be so its hard to buy a visa gift card.
Also virtual cards are controversial, some banks say it will lower theft since they expire but others feel that it just leads to customers doing things like buying from more risky places and actually increases fraudulent charges.

Stupid domain to you maybe but the word makes perfect sense in Japan and elsewhere. :rolleyes:

And elsewhere? where else do they speak Japanese besides Japan? I can go to most of southeast Asia and Europe and say buy and people know what that word means. Plus its only 3 letters. You can't seriously fight me on this. English is the 3rd most used language in the world 359 million people speak it and only 126 million for Japanese and that doesn't even count all the people who know basic English words, pretty much anyone in India is going to know at least simple words like buy. I even know bits of Japanese but I have never used or heard of the word before I can say stupid stuff like count to 10 etc...Domains with 3 letters are both simple and nearly impossible to get your hands on now. Every single person I have talked to except you said it was a horribly stupid idea to change the name and if they want to expand out of japan.

Last edited:
Ya mine does not, I am not about to separate my card from my bank and all for 1 sale and I don't know how big the sale will be so its hard to buy a visa gift card.
Also virtual cards are controversial, some banks say it will lower theft since they expire but others feel that it just leads to customers doing things like buying from more risky places and actually increases fraudulent charges.

And elsewhere? where else do they speak Japanese besides Japan? I can go to most of southeast Asia and Europe and say buy and people know what that word means. Plus its only 3 letters. You can't seriously fight me on this. English is the 3rd most used language in the world 359 million people speak it and only 126 million for Japanese and that doesn't even count all the people who know basic English words, pretty much anyone in India is going to know at least simple words like buy. I even know bits of Japanese but I have never used or heard of the word before I can say stupid stuff like count to 10 etc...Domains with 3 letters are both simple and nearly impossible to get your hands on now. Every single person I have talked to except you said it was a horribly stupid idea to change the name and if they want to expand out of japan.

I guess Amazon and Microsoft are both shit names since they're way too long.

Raku has more brand recognition in east asia than both buy.com and amazon.com.

Also, I know how to count to ten in Spanish and know a few phrases, so I guess that makes me an authority on good Spanish words to use for advertising and branding.

Raku-ten means positive spirit, by the way.

Also, I remember reading this a while back on the forum (don't know who, but quite frankly I'm sure it applies to many people), the name has a "u" in the middle, not an "a". Every time I hear someone make that mistake, I just want to tell them to go back to school.

"Raku" (censored) is already an established brand in those markets. Nobody is saying they should rebrand their entire business "Buy.com". But it doesn't make much sense (to me, and apparently to others as well) to have bought the Buy.com brand and then to turn around and completely ditch the branding in an attempt to expand in the US market. Especially since they have apparently inherited all of Buy.com's issues and it is tarnishing their reputation.

But yeah, if you purchase from this site... definitely use Paypal for your own safety.

I got a GTX 780. I think people don't know that the way buy.com is setup is as a marketplace. So there are 100's of sellers and you pick one to buy from. I bought my GTX 780 from buy.com, not one of the others. No issues encountered.

Their security vulnerability is probably giving too much info to the seller.

Same. Can't beat a 780 for $440. No issues with my cc either.

Sounds like what happened at Monoprice. Monoprice said they never were compromised but I was one of the people who had a fraudulent charge only a few days after placing an order at Monoprice.

The sad thing is, it works kind of like "innocent until proven guilty". Where I work we had received some guidance from our state's AG office that we only had to make a breach public only if there was conclusive proof credit card numbers were taken. I bet that's why Buy.com is doing. Since they can't prove cards were taken they are taking the position that they weren't, even if they found evidence of a compromise somewhere else in the chain. Or maybe they don't even have the logs that would show it. Either way they know that if there was a lawsuit they would still be able to provide all their records and no conclusive proof would be found -- and they are taking advantage of that.

VCCN with paypal. That is how I shop online all the time. So has my brother in law, bought from using paypal with VCCN and has not had a fraudulent charge on it yet.

I guess Amazon and Microsoft are both shit names since they're way too long.

Raku has more brand recognition in east asia than both buy.com and amazon.com.

Also, I know how to count to ten in Spanish and know a few phrases, so I guess that makes me an authority on good Spanish words to use for advertising and branding.

Raku-ten means positive spirit, by the way.

Also, I remember reading this a while back on the forum (don't know who, but quite frankly I'm sure it applies to many people), the name has a "u" in the middle, not an "a". Every time I hear someone make that mistake, I just want to tell them to go back to school.

Lets be honest companies like amazon and newegg, probably picked their names because nothing else was available by the time they tried. MS was formed long before the internet was a viable place to do business and solidified themselves. Second MS doesn't care. Any of us who have tried to buy a domain name get this.

Positive spirit, what does it have to do with buying junk like a mall? Nothing, they were out of options and came up with that as the only reasonable available domain name is the way more likely scenario and did well in Japan because of business practices not their name, but they would have been far smarter to hold on to buy.com and even rebrand their own company then to try to get the rest of the world to buy from some place called positive spirit. Honestly its utterly trashed the buy.com brand name here. BTW do you know buy.com was already bought once by a Japanese company, fell apart and then repurchased for like 1/8 the price by the original owner, TBH looks like they are going to repeat.

Well I got my card so all told it was about $920 for a gtx780 and gtx770 4gb cant honestly say there is any way I could have got a better deal than that. I guess those super points were not a scam after all.

Had no idea buydotcom was such a scary place. 30 flawless orders. Course I haven't needed anything from them for a couple years, maybe it's gone down hill since the name changed.

Qwest certainly did when they became Centurylink...

Im confused is the above link suppose to be like that?

This whole scam business has been circulated the interwebs. Most people suggest using Google wallet or the likes to checkout with them, it supposedly safer, but then again if this the type of service the company is showcasing, I dont think using a different payment processor is gonna be of any help.

I want a GTX 780 and it's tough to turn away from the 20% back in super points that I could use towards something else like a USB DAC or AIO water cooler for the new card. Really just waiting for them to run a good code that can be used by existing customers, I've got a few points on my current account I'd like to use b/c they expire at the end of the month. But if I have to I'll register a new account to use the newbie20 code.

So they're running a 30% off $500+ purchases code right now. That's a $455 GTX 780 after the $195 in store credit. $462 after $7 shipping. Couldn't resist any longer with a 30% code.

Back