PSA : Owners of MSI 6970 Lightning

haste

Supreme [H]ardness
You better hope your card doesn't die on you. I had my card exactly 28 days before it stopped displaying from the video ports. All lights were fine on the PCB, but alas, no display.

Sent it back in for RMA and got an email stating:

We apologize for any inconvenience, but we are currently out of stock of suitable or comparable replacements for your unit(s). In this case we will need to provide you with a refund based on the market value of $340.00. Will you accept this refund?

Wow, good job MSI...I guess I won't be buying any more of your products in the future considering I can't get a warranty replacement for a 1 month old card!

My condolences on your loss.

To say something in MSI's favor, it is a new card so stock supplies are probably low. A very quick search on Newegg seems to indicate they didn't have any stock either and the refund that was offered you was comparable for that card.

I understand your frustration, but MSI seems to be handling this ok. They might be having quality control issues on the 6970, but that alone should not black-ball the entire company if they offered you a full refund, in cash.

Seriously, you're lucky they didn't give you another version of the 6970 as your only option... giving cash is a pretty fair solution IMO.

Seriously, you're lucky they didn't give you another version of the 6970 as your only option... giving cash is a pretty fair solution IMO.

I bought the lightning for silence because my main rig also doubles as my HTPC. Now i am out a gaming card as I only have a 5450 as a backup...yeah, GREAT solution! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even want a GTX 580 if they offered it to me because it doesn't have bitstreaming capability. Looks like I will have to request a FULL refund at $387 and just wait for the AMD 7xxx series to come out in Q4...

Well they didn't exactly offer him a full refund, in order to get a comparable card from somewhere else, did they? If they do that, then they will have ended up handling it well. I have heard people use the excuse "well you used it for a month, so you are paying for its use." Sure, that would be fair if the person didn't have to pay 100% of the price again for a replacement card. Also, it is pretty clear to me that AMD and/or their brand partners are artificially increasing demand to keep prices on these cards as high as possible til the 7000 series release. Yes, some of the supply/demand problems are real due to that silly bitcoin business, but AMD/partners are taking advantage of that excuse to keep prices inflated more than they actually should be.

Well they didn't exactly offer him a full refund, in order to get a comparable card from somewhere else, did they? If they do that, then they will have ended up handling it well. I have heard people use the excuse "well you used it for a month, so you are paying for its use." Sure, that would be fair if the person didn't have to pay 100% of the price again for a replacement card. Also, it is pretty clear to me that AMD and/or their brand partners are artificially increasing demand to keep prices on these cards as high as possible til the 7000 series release. Yes, some of the supply/demand problems are real due to that silly bitcoin business, but AMD/partners are taking advantage of that excuse to keep prices inflated more than normal.

Yup, I was looking for a card to replace it last night and it looks like I'll be out of $$ either way. And like I said I do NOT want a GTX 580(only comparable card from nvidia) because of the lack of bitstreaming. The only way I'll take a 580 is if I don't have to pay anymore out of pocket. I basically spent $400 on this card including the shipping cost back to MSI and only had use of it for 28 days.

If they pro-rated it by the amount of warranty left(35 months), they should refund me at LEAST $375, but if I tack on the shipping charge for sending it back to them, it would be a refund of the full purchase price.

I sent an email back to them saying I'd be willing to wait 15 business days for a replacement if they expect to have any in stock soon, otherwise I will only accept a full refund.

I'm pretty sure the retail value of our Lightnings is higher than 340. I'd be pissed too because I got mine for the quietness factor and having to replace it with a stock 6970 when my initial out of pocket price was a good 30 dollars + shipping higher is absurd.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but we are currently out of stock of suitable or comparable replacements for your unit(s). In this case we will need to provide you with a refund based on the market value of $340.00. Will you accept this refund?

They asked you if you would accept it....

Business 101: "first offer", always offer less than you are willing to settle for. It's a negotiation, so negotiate.

They did this to me twice. First time I sent a twin frozr iii but when offered me a refund I asked for the twin frozr ii since it can unlock. Then I had to send a different twin frozr ii and I declined their offer, when I called they said they could refund me the full price if I send them my invoice or send me a 6970. I kinda regret it since it runs hot and is loud but I didn't have much choice since I got the card cheap.

I think they do this for all their Rma's lol

Really? They are refunding you $340 and you are unhappy? How much did you pay for your card? 340?

I think they are handling it perfectly. Go ahead dont buy any MSI products, its your loss. I support them all the way, especially after hearing that if the product is out of stock that they refund the price you paid.

Really? They are refunding you $340 and you are unhappy? How much did you pay for your card? 340?

I think they are handling it perfectly. Go ahead dont buy any MSI products, its your loss. I support them all the way, especially after hearing that if the product is out of stock that they refund the price you paid.

Uhhhh yeah because I'm out a gaming card right now. I would expect a company to have a warranty replacement on an almost brand new card(on the market) that I've owned for less than a month. Poor planning on MSI, imo. Did they expect not to get any returns?

I paid $387 from Amazon, so $340 is a bit of a low ball. We'll see what they say with the next email I receive from them.

I'm not totally against MSI or anything, this situation will definitely make me hesitate in purchasing their products in the future. I'm not gonna go telling everyone NOT to buy MSI, I will simply tell them what I've dealt with.

The card was great and was exactly what I needed for my computer. How could I not be unhappy with a refund, there is no other comparable replacement on the market right now to purchase. I guess I'm gonna give up gaming for a few months and wait for the 7xxx series...

Well they didn't exactly offer him a full refund, in order to get a comparable card from somewhere else, did they? If they do that, then they will have ended up handling it well. I have heard people use the excuse "well you used it for a month, so you are paying for its use." Sure, that would be fair if the person didn't have to pay 100% of the price again for a replacement card. Also, it is pretty clear to me that AMD and/or their brand partners are artificially increasing demand to keep prices on these cards as high as possible til the 7000 series release. Yes, some of the supply/demand problems are real due to that silly bitcoin business, but AMD/partners are taking advantage of that excuse to keep prices inflated more than they actually should be.

Incorrect. BitCoin Mining is keeping the stock of cards low because of the extremely fantastic performance offered by the AMD Card.

I'm with OP on this one. He deserves either a fully functional replacement card, or a FULL refund. The card was less than 30 days old, and its a pricey card at that. He deserves full reimbursement. My impression of MSI was getting pretty good from hanging around here. Reading stuff like this tosses all the positives down the shitter.

Uhhhh yeah because I'm out a gaming card right now. I would expect a company to have a warranty replacement on an almost brand new card(on the market) that I've owned for less than a month. Poor planning on MSI, imo. Did they expect not to get any returns?

I paid $387 from Amazon, so $340 is a bit of a low ball. We'll see what they say with the next email I receive from them.

I'm not totally against MSI or anything, this situation will definitely make me hesitate in purchasing their products in the future. I'm not gonna go telling everyone NOT to buy MSI, I will simply tell them what I've dealt with.

The card was great and was exactly what I needed for my computer. How could I not be unhappy with a refund, there is no other comparable replacement on the market right now to purchase. I guess I'm gonna give up gaming for a few months and wait for the 7xxx series...

Im sorry, I didnt see that you originally paid 387, though that seems high for a 6970...I have not followed their prices lately. If that is so, a month into your use and it dies.... yes I would agree that 340 is a little low. Possibly 360-370 (if they dont wanna refund the full value).

I thought you originally paid 340 for it.

Considering a regular MSI 6970 sells for 340 - 20 rebate = 320 + 8 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127554&Tpk=msi 6970 2gb

I think its fair to request more of a refund as the premium for a "lightining edition" would sell for more.

Im sorry, I didnt see that you originally paid 387, though that seems high for a 6970...I have not followed their prices lately. If that is so, a month into your use and it dies.... yes I would agree that 340 is a little low. Possibly 360-370 (if they dont wanna refund the full value).

I thought you originally paid 340 for it.

Considering a regular MSI 6970 sells for 340 - 20 rebate = 320 + 8 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127554&Tpk=msi 6970 2gb

I think its fair to request more of a refund as the premium for a "lightining edition" would sell for more.

The Lightnings have always sold for around 380-390. They are more than just a different fan/heatsink slapped onto a reference PCB. They are fully custom in almost every way. I can understand not having any for an RMA but to offer 340 is straight bullshit. The card was made with much higher quality and care than stock 6970's. It's actually surprising they low balled him that much.

If this was evga they would ship him a GTX580 Lighting for the trouble. (If evga was the maker of the Lightning of course)

dude their refunding you the retail value of the card I know it's not idea but it's not like msi is screwing you.

dude their refunding you the retail value of the card I know it's not idea but it's not like msi is screwing you.

If that isnt what he actually paid, then they arent refunding him the retail value of the card.

Seriously, Im waiting for MSI to step in here, if they dont then honestly something like this is enough to make me blacklist them for life, just knowing they pulled this on a complete stranger.

Incorrect. BitCoin Mining is keeping the stock of cards low because of the extremely fantastic performance offered by the AMD Card.

I thought the HD5000 series was better at bitcoin mining? Which makes me wander how there is a such a *huge* demand for the HD6000 series compared to supply.

I thought the HD5000 series was better at bitcoin mining? Which makes me wander how there is a such a *huge* demand for the HD6000 series compared to supply.

Just because the 5xxx series is the best at bitcoin mining doesn't mean the 6xxx series isn't also good at it. Also, the 5xxx series is MUCH harder to find, so the 6xxx series is the next choice since its still very significantly better than anything from Nvidia.

Except 340 is not the retail value of the card. If you ever saw a 6970 Lightning for that price it was in [H]otdeals as a pricing error. No one sold it for that price, it was in the 380 range everywhere and is over 400 now.

When I went had to RMA a 4890 that blew smoke out the back last summer, MSI just asked me for the receipt and wrote a check for the original purchase price.

Not sure why this is an issue? Send them a copy of your invoice from Amazon and request a full ref.

This is pretty good handling of it by MSI - some companies would just tell you to wait and not offer any sort of replacement or refund. MSI is making an effort .

OR, call amamzo's support line and request they extend your refund period and ship it back to them

Last edited:
I don't see how you can take anything less than the full price you paid, or a replacement Lightning. Good on MSI for actually being willing to help out, though - 28 days is a joke.

I don't see how you can take anything less than the full price you paid, or a replacement Lightning. Good on MSI for actually being willing to help out, though - 28 days is a joke.

I think/hope MSI will do good in this situtation, but I'm totally bummed out that I won't be getting another card. It really was the perfect card for my rig. :(

Where is that MSI rep? I have an issue with a rebate (or lack off) and they don't seem to want to sort it.

So in my email reply I gave them 15 business days to see if they could replace my card... I guess they won't be able to do that since I got the following email:

Hello Dustin,

We will provide the full refund to you in this case. The check will be mailed to you in 1-2 weeks. Thank you!

Sigh...I guess I will be waiting for Southern Islands now. :(

RIP MSI Lightning.

At least they stepped up and gave you what you deserved. It shouldnt have even been a question, but glad you got your refund after all.

So in my email reply I gave them 15 business days to see if they could replace my card... I guess they won't be able to do that since I got the following email:

[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Sigh...I guess I will be waiting for Southern Islands now. :(

RIP MSI Lightning.

Hey- thats a pretty good resolution don't you think? Also- honestly, iIf you RMAd it with them and they sent you a replacement, do you think it would actually have gotten done any faster? If I were in your situation, I think I'd be pretty happy with the resolution. I know, not perfectly ideal, but still- they are doing what they can to make it right.

Hey- thats a pretty good resolution don't you think? Also- honestly, iIf you RMAd it with them and they sent you a replacement, do you think it would actually have gotten done any faster? If I were in your situation, I think I'd be pretty happy with the resolution. I know, not perfectly ideal, but still- they are doing what they can to make it right.

Yeah, I guess it's the best they can do considering the situation. I'm just bummed there isn't a comparable card on the market available right now.

This will give me plenty of time to save up some $$ and get a beast of a card this fall. :D

Back