PSone, 5" LCD $13 @ Kmart

SJetski71 said:
There's a fairly easy mod that allows vga hook up. VGA will run it at it's highest picture quality + 600x480 resolution, which is fantastic for a 5" lcd (and it's also a full-screen dvd movie's native resolution). You can have it hovering beside your main monitor and keep winamp + messenger running on it 24/7. Or you could mod it into your case as other have mentioned. Quite a few have built mini-projectors with it and it would shoot out an acceptable 50"~65" picture (i'm basing it off fuzzy memory). You can also install it in your car and run a vga or rca connection to it, the PQ + resolution would rival other units normally favored for auto use.

anybody else have some good mod ideas?
I'm not a case modder since I prefer keeping as much of the system as possible out of sight, but the car idea and something small to keep running 24/7 do sound pretty cool. Thanks for the ideas, now I have to visit a couple Kmarts this weekend!

how long before he loses his chance

also would i be able to take an old laptop display and do a vga mod to it

Gentlemen Im sorry but they are all gone. Thank you to those that bought the ones I had. My wife was pretty pissed when I showed up with all these screens. But I told her. "Dont worry the guys that turned me on to this deal and couldnt find any will snap them up" You didnt let me down and shes off my back. To everyone else Im sorry. I may go and see if they somehow get some more but I doubt they will. The only thing they had left yesterday after I got through with em was their display.

I can vouch that this actually works.. I just got three 5'' PSone LCD screen's for a little over $40 =D pix will be uploaded in a second.. just wait. :D
One is going in the car for my dvd player, one is going in my computer, and I'll either sell the other, or give it to my brother. :p

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1272.jpg

^ I hate you lol. My K-mart didn't have any, only the combos and they were regular price.

I went to Kmart and they were all out. The guy in the electronics dept said that they were on clearance b/c they were getting a newer version in.

I'm going to stop by K-Mart this weekend, last time I was at it they had a couple labeled $129. Going to have them price checked this time. $129 is way too much, but move the decimal one to the left and it's not too bad. ;)

I went to 2 Kmarts here in Manhattan and none had any left. They said people were snatching them up like crazy, I'll have to an excursion to Queen and see what I find me.

Grazehell said:
I went to 2 Kmarts here in Manhattan and none had any left. They said people were snatching them up like crazy, I'll have to an excursion to Queen and see what I find me.
If you're paying to cross all those bridges you may as well go to kmart in Lodi NJ (rt 46 west). Buy the 6 or 7 they have left buried behind a ton of old video games ;). Open till at least 9:00pm and no traffic at this time.

And I'm off to go find some. I plan on getting two, one for a monitor for field computer work, and another for the projector idea. Now, if I find three, I will buy, and I will sell at 15 bucks plus the shipping like the other guy, so 29 dollars shipped. (2 is for gas :p)

And it seems like these have flooded ebay. I only see them going for at the most 26, plus shipping.

SJetski71 said:
If you're paying to cross all those bridges you may as well go to kmart in Lodi NJ (rt 46 west). Buy the 6 or 7 they have left buried behind a ton of old video games ;). Open till at least 9:00pm and no traffic at this time.

I wish I was driving then I could have cashed in on this jersey run but I am using an unlimited metro card.

chaostic said:
And it seems like these have flooded ebay. I only see them going for at the most 26, plus shipping.
I bet prices will go back up in a month or two, once this sale is well behind us. This happens often @ ebay right after retail stores have killer sales. Look for lots of junk going up for bid right after black friday ;)

got 3 screens @ $13 each and 3 car adaptors @$4 each, thanks OP! Think I will hook it up to a vcr somehow and put it in the kitchen for some mini-tv while making dinner.

Update... I just took 2 of mine apart.. They are going in my car and my brothers car as soon as I get a little custom frame made for the glovebox. (hidden from theives) It will look really nice when its done. Oh, and I hooked it up to my DVD player to see the quality, and wow, pretty impressive. Text is just a little fuzy, but it looks awesome for video and stuff. Just go to radio shack and buy the little $2.99 RCA to headphone jack connector. (run the composite video line to that for input)
I'm saving the 3rd one for a new casemod I'll be doing later on down the road or this winter.. dunno yet.

ARRGG. All out at my only kmart. I had a second one, but it got hyjacked by a sears essential. And I missed that sale as well.

Anyone within driving distance from/in Union County NJ willing to sell me one at cost? I'll pick up.

None in Columbus, IN. Not sure where the next closest one is.

I was rather disappointed.

I had to drive 20 miles, but I found 2 and 1 display model for $10. :)

I'll break them apart some time this weekend.

None in Ypsilanti, MI.

The dude at the counter said some guy came by two days ago and bought all of them.

Double Jesus said:
my gf's mom is a kmart manager in NE maine, i'm gonna have to call her tonight :D
That's way up there! Anywhere near Ft. Fairfield, Caribou or Presque Isle?

saaaaweet!

thank you to those who initially posted on this... gots me 5!

This is one sweet deal. I got the last one in the Kmart closest to me.

Does anyone have a link to the projector mod? Or any other worthy mods?

I picked up 9.
If I come across any more, I 'll let you all know.

struck out at the first 3 stores, then found these at the 4th one
they weren't on the shelf, only the combo pack and I asked if they had the screen by itself, the lady said "yes, I've got several in the back"

so make sure you ask

BTW, all the K-Marts around here looked terrible. Run down and very dirty. A couple of the stores didn't even have anyone in the electronics department.
Of course, I haven't been in a K-Mart in years. I work in a brand new Wal-Mart supercenter, a huge 200k+ sq ft store, so all these stores seem tiny in comparison.

Well the local kmart didnt have one, but when I was near another kmart today and stopped by, and they had a store return, so I picked it up. I never go to kmart unless there's a sale like this, because they're just all around crummy stores. Anyway, thanks for posting!

WOOT got in on 3. Hell they probably had 10.

Now what should I do with them?

does the VGA mod look that much better? is it really worth the time? anyone seen side-by-side comparisons?

SpangeMonkee said:
I hooked one of mine up and had winamp running in it. it's ok. text kinda sucks. I'm not sure I wann do anymore work on it. I've also seen people replacing the lights with LEDs. Which I'm not sure why.

I need the car kit? Where to find if so?

SpangeMonkee said:
I hooked one of mine up and had winamp running in it. it's ok. text kinda sucks. I'm not sure I wann do anymore work on it. I've also seen people replacing the lights with LEDs. Which I'm not sure why.
I say go for the vga mod, you have nothing to lose at this point except interest. I still have yet to try it but it makes sense that vga @ 600x480 would look nicer than rca video.

can't wait to find out

qbackin said:
I need the car kit? Where to find if so?

Did you happen to make a log of your mod?

I didn't find a car kit. I just plugged it up to the composite out on the back of my vid card. no mod really. I plugged the power pack into the wall. the only thing the car kit gives you is a convertor that makes 12v to 7.5 so you can power it off your power supply. Though, I've read that it will run off of 7v. If that is the case, then you can just do the 7v molex mod.

Back