PSP (GO/3k)

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Haven't been following the PSP's development at all, but I began wondering with the Go's release, is now a good time to jump on the PSP band wagon? Not a fan of UMD so if I can get all the popular games digitally with the Go then that sounds good to me. I assume the most popular backlog of games will be available digitally (GoW, Tekken, etc)?

I would not necessarily assume that all of the older, popular games will make it to digital...

Anyways, here's the thing: you can play those digital games on any PSP, not just the PSP Go. You just have to buy an appropriately-sized memory stick, or use one of those SDHC-to-memory-stick adapters. The only real advantages of the PSP Go are the form factor and Bluetooth. If it ever takes off, UMDs will probably get rather cheap - cheaper than digital distribution.

There is also the matter that the old-style PSPs are hackable, and you can load homebrew (such as emulators!) on them. I got a lot of good use out of a GBA emulator...

Sure, but the 3k is bulkier, no? I like the appearance of the Go, and the lack of UMD support seems like a plus in my book (not having to fiddle with disks). Anyone know of what older games are making it digitally? Homebrew will make it to the Go so I'm not really worried about that right now ;)

im pretty sure tekken 6 is coming to the psp this year, they are adding older games weekly, but i dont think everyones favourites will come to it.

Didn't some guy higher up say that they would provide a method to convert the titles owned on UMD to digital? Something of an honor system that says yes, you have these 5 UMD's, you now want them digital for the Go. Don't quote me on it though, going simply on a memory from a few months ago.

the psp go is way overpriced, not to mention that it has a smaller screen, and the controls don't look as comfortable

my psp 2000 is doing fine

I'll stick with my PSP 2000 w/ CFW. Does everything I need it to do, plays all my emulator and PS1 games, and plays my music.

As for OP: if you like the Go and its abilities, then go for it, I'm sure they will put a lot of titles on PSN, and probably some way to get current UMD's for the Go.

Honestly I'd buy a 2000 or 3000 and skip the GO unless you really need the bluetooth. It's way too expensive. I think the original PSP retailed for $250 when it debuted in 2005.

psp 2000 for life......or at least until something better comes along...

dissidia comes out Tuesday, and I think it is a digital downloadable too......good time to be a PSP owner for this alone.

Sure, but the 3k is bulkier, no? I like the appearance of the Go, and the lack of UMD support seems like a plus in my book (not having to fiddle with disks). Anyone know of what older games are making it digitally? Homebrew will make it to the Go so I'm not really worried about that right now ;)
The 3000 is slightly bulkier, it's true. But the fact that you have a UMD drive on it doesn't mean you have to screw with it - heck, I haven't opened mine in a good six months, if not more.

I would NOT necessarily assume homebrew on the PSP Go, at least anytime soon. The PSP-3k was a startlingly tough nut for the community to crack.

Didn't some guy higher up say that they would provide a method to convert the titles owned on UMD to digital? Something of an honor system that says yes, you have these 5 UMD's, you now want them digital for the Go. Don't quote me on it though, going simply on a memory from a few months ago.
I'll never get tired of laughing at people who take what Sony says at face value. I'll believe there's a system for this when I see it.

I'd go with a 3000 if you don't need the bluetooth on the Go since all PSP models support downloadable content, especially considering the price tag for the Go.

Like everyone else - get a 2000 or 3000. The main reason being that you have access to a giant libraray of UMD games that can be purchased both on clearance or used for rock bottom prices.
You can still get all of the new digital releases using an older PSP, only you also have the option of playing UMD's, too.
Sure, the GO has some new bells and whistles...but as a gaming machine, it's a little crippled not being able to buy cheap UMD copies of older games.

I don't really want physical discs though, so UMD support is a negative IMO. I'm just curious about how much of the backlog is going to be available digitally, and how the PSP's library currently is ;)

I would NOT necessarily assume homebrew on the PSP Go, at least anytime soon. The PSP-3k was a startlingly tough nut for the community to crack.

It'll happen, mark my words. It always does. If a person can purchase the hardware and take it home with them then it'll eventually get reverse engineered one way or another.

and the controls don't look as comfortable

Its really hard to say based on appearance how something will feel. I remember when I first saw the n64 controller I thought to myself "man, they fucked up on that one!" and to this day its the most comfortable and natural controller I've ever used. I honestly don't think they'll release a mobile gaming device in this day in age that is a chore to use.

I don't really want physical discs though, so UMD support is a negative IMO. I'm just curious about how much of the backlog is going to be available digitally, and how the PSP's library currently is ;)
But you're not being FORCED to buy them. How is an option a negative? Are you physically pained at the sight of a disc drive? Really?

It'll happen, mark my words. It always does. If a person can purchase the hardware and take it home with them then it'll eventually get reverse engineered one way or another.
Didn't happen with the PS3, and doing it with the 360 is still a fine art, from what I understand.

No, I'm not being forced to buy them.. whats your point? Not like I need a bulkier device if I'm not going to use its main feature ;)

PS3 does have homebrew (has been broken), its just not as full fledged yet. Perhaps because Linux can already run on it and thats more interesting?

There's a pretty decent sized downloadable games list on the PSP online store. There's some older stuff like PS1 games and such also. I think the PSP Go would probably be something you'd like. If you think about it, it only makes sense that Sony will convert most all of their UMDs to digital copies downloadable from their store once the Go comes out (if not before). Otherwise, there would be no reason to buy it. I like the idea of the Go personally because a lot of the old UMDs are impossible to find anymore and I'm not into hacking my PSP. It'd be really nice to have all my games with me wherever I go.

yer there must be over 100 downloadable games for the psp/go already (including ps1 games) i reckon it will explode and be around 200+ by the time its launched

it sounds like you're already set on the Go, but I just bought a used (but mint condition) PSP 2000 on amazon for $113. That's less than half of the price of the Go,

and just because it has a UMD drive doesn't mean you have to use it. I don't plan to......

The 3000 may be bulkier than the Go, but that doesn't mean it's cumbersome by any means. In fact, people with larger hands may have more difficulty using the Go since it's smaller.

Back